stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Plug Diagnosis
09/24/12 at 19:14:06

OK...I need some basic advice on what this plug means. I have a stock bike with the stage 1 kit. It was not purring like I wanted so I shaved the white spacer down 1/3 tonight (did 2/3 before the stage 1 kit and put a new one back in with the stage 1 kit to start over and take one adjustment at a time...) and that seemed to help, but will know for sure when I ride more tomorrow as I completed the T6 conversion tonight also and need to give it a good whirl...

Anyhow, while I was in the top shaving the spacer, I checked the plug and this is what it looked like, which from my pops advice is supposed to indicate too lean, right?

So if I did the 1/3 spacer mod, does that richen the mixture slightly where this will hep clear up this sooted plug, or do i need to back out the air/mix screw a little also and hit it on both ends?

Overall it runs good, just taking tips from pops on how to diagnose a plug to try and dial things in.

Thanks.

plug.jpg

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Re: Plug Diagnosis
Reply #1 - 09/24/12 at 19:30:54

Actually you are running rich.  Lots of carbon build up like that indicates a rich condition.   You are shooting for a light tan color on the insulator.  

Head on over to the Tech section and then Table of Contents thread and you will find a link for reading plugs in there.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
clearush

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deer Park,TX
Reply #2 - 09/24/12 at 19:37:10

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 09/24/12 at 20:22:50

yeah there's some carbon fouling, but not near as much as the 2nd picture, the insulator is still mostly white.

as long as your fuel mileage doesn't tank, I think it's fine.

WWW   IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #4 - 09/24/12 at 20:29:47

verslagen1 wrote on 09/24/12 at 20:22:50:
yeah there's some carbon fouling, but not near as much as the 2nd picture, the insulator is still mostly white.

as long as your fuel mileage doesn't tank, I think it's fine.

Thanks all!

So as far as gas mileage, I haven't had a chance to really nail it down since I have been draining the tank to tinker, but I think I am somewhere in the ~45mpg range...but not certain.

Based on the assumption that this is too rich, should I make any non-jet adjustments to the spacer or air mix screw to resolve, or are there too many combinations to guess exactly which this is a result of?

The reason I did the spacer mod again is because it seemed a wee bit sluggish at above idle speeds, and when I did the spacer mod before the rejet it really smoothed out this range in my bike. Hope that doesn't make it more rich?!?!

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 07:32:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Plug Diagnosis

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.