Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Front pulley nut welded by previous owner (Read 291 times)
Mikecool5
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Front pulley nut welded by previous owner
09/24/12 at 13:24:48

my nut is welded to the pulley any ideas on how to get that off?

« Last Edit: 09/24/12 at 16:01:11 by Oldfeller--FSO »  
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Front pulley nut removal and spline maintenanc
Reply #1 - 09/24/12 at 15:59:05

Mikecool5,

Please read the Guidelines for Tech Section at the top of the page.

Tech Section is a static reference book, not a place to ask questions.

Take all questions to Rubber Side Down.

Your question has been moved there, please do not ask it in the Tech Section again.   Our site has all questions placed and answered in Rubber Side Down on purpose.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Front pulley nut welded by previous owner
Reply #2 - 09/24/12 at 16:07:54

Now that you are in the right place, here is an answer.

First, why did the previous owner weld the nut (and I bet he welded the pulley itself too, didn't he?) to the output shaft?

Previous owner was unscrupulous.  Front pulley splines were totally stripped out and he just wanted the shebang to hang together long enough to palm the mess off on you.

Answer, don't mess with it at all -- if you grind that nut and pulley free you are signing up for a full split the cases tear down and the labor charges and parts to do that will cost more than a used replacement engine would cost.  

If it is hanging in there good, let it be.

Should it ever manage to break itself free (very unlikely) you have your answer right there already.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 09/24/12 at 16:10:28

Just hope & pray you never need to replace the belt,,
]
How long have you had it?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Mikecool5
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 09/24/12 at 16:27:57

First off sorry for posting in the wrong section was just reading and forgot where i was. Now to answer JOG's question i have had the bike for nearly ten years but it was in storage for most of that time and i havnt really been interested until lately because i need something to get to work and back and this seems like my least costly option.

As for the spline i think the nut is just welded to the pulley meaning i could probably get it all off in one piece but a socket wont fit on there anymore. I would just leave it alone but it doesnt look to be welded all that well and i wanted to eventualy do a chain conversion.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 09/24/12 at 16:33:40

Then you'll need a cut off disk on a grinder to get into the corner. A grinder would get there eventually, but youd be digging a big groove to break the part of the weld that makes the first part of the 90 where the pulley meets the nut. YOu might be ahead to have a grinder and a grinder w/ a cut off. I modify regular little angle grinders to take a cut off wheel, because cut off grinders cost quite a bit more.  
Since youve had it so long, you cant go back on the PO for not telling you about a known defect.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Mikecool5
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 09/24/12 at 16:37:05

thats what i was thinking but feel like i run the risk of rounding off the nut thus making it almost impossible to remove

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 09/24/12 at 20:06:20

Naaah, Youll need more than 1 cut off disk, or, youll hafta run w/o a guard ( Nope, dont).
Turn the nut so you can get an angle on it to walk the edge of the disk right down the weld that joins the nut & pulley, slice in, turn it, walk the next line, do that around, use a grinder at the inside edges of the corners, leave the outside edges of the flats on the nut alone, so the socket has something to work on,
Youll need to round off the nut where it meets the weld on the pulley or cut the weld down,Or the nut cant turn,.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #8 - 09/24/12 at 20:36:18

How much weld metal is in there?  If all he did was tack it in place in a couple of places, you could use a Dremel with the really thin cutoff wheel to surgically cut through the welds.  He was a jerk to do this in the first place, so many he was jerky enough to not get much penetration in the welds.  If he did a high heat, high flow, and high amperage MIG welding sesssion,.. and slobbed in lots of metal,.. you're screwed. If there isn't much metal added, though, you can do some miraculous things with that thin dremel cut-off wheel and a lot of patience.  It can make some real tidy slices.  Make sure to wear ear muffs and goggles.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 09/24/12 at 21:11:22

Question still remains, why are you messing with it?

If you get it loose, you stand to find out something is there you can't fix.

If your goal is to ride the bike quick-like, then get it running and ride it.

Grinding on those welds is gonna likely be a losing situation for you $$$ wise.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #10 - 09/24/12 at 21:16:17

A picture of this would be great so that we know more of what your dealing with.  

After seeing said picture then we can make more informed advise on what your options are or if your basically screwed.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 09/24/12 at 21:47:08

Yea.Pics are in order..show the heaviest weld side for sure, more would be better

IP Logged
Mikecool5
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 09/25/12 at 02:43:15

i will try to borrow a camera from somebody and get pics, theres a decent amount of metal there, crappy looking welds though. The thing with just leaving it alone is it was in storage for about 7 years and sitting out in the weather for another 3 and i dont know how safe i would feel driving it without replacing the belt.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #13 - 09/25/12 at 05:17:43

Mikecool5 wrote on 09/25/12 at 02:43:15:
i will try to borrow a camera from somebody and get pics, theres a decent amount of metal there, crappy looking welds though. The thing with just leaving it alone is it was in storage for about 7 years and sitting out in the weather for another 3 and i dont know how safe i would feel driving it without replacing the belt.

Just use the camera in your phone.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #14 - 09/25/12 at 05:19:43

One other consideration, if it has been in storage for 7 years, and out in the weather for three, the tires are probably unsafe, even if they look okay, and even if they were good the last time it was used.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 23:21:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Front pulley nut welded by previous owner

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.