Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Front pulley nut welded by previous owner (Read 291 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Front pulley nut welded by previous owner
Reply #15 - 09/25/12 at 05:52:00

First thing Id do is get it running. If ya havent changed the oil, do so, while the oil is out, pop the side cover off & have a look at the cam chain if the mileage is anywhere close to 15,000 miles, ditch the gas, drop the bowl off the carb, clean it up, check/clean jets.Have a look in the tank, drop the petcock, see that the screen is clear.
Once youve got it running, run it up & down the street a bit, make sure it goes thru the gears & acts right at low speeds. Dont play in corners on those old tires or run very fast. Stay close to home, tires that old really dont belong on the street. Once its acting right, throw some decent rubber on, ride it a while. See how it acts, If the pulley doesnt cause a problem, enjoy it a while. Get some miles on it, make it pay you back for resurrecting it before you risk downing it trying to mod it. Hopefully, the splines on the shaft arent shafted.
If they are & theyre not just horrible, maybe the sprocket can be sent to a spray metal place & have the ID built up a bit, tho, telling them how much to do would be a technical problem., Ive seen the work that can be done & the cost. We sent triplex pump plungers to be built up so they would run & seal on the seal pack. It wasnt cost prohibitive.BUt that was 20 years ago.,.

If youre at all concerned that a tire mite blow out, dont ride it at all B4 you put new on,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
BuckRYCA

New London, CT, USA
Reply #16 - 09/25/12 at 06:59:34

Let me tell you the story of welding on my front pulley.

I bought a 96 Savage with 11K miles. The splines on the front pulley gave way at about 13K miles. The transmission output shaft spines were damaged, but lthe splines on the pulley were gone.

My fix was a new pulley with an application of Loctite 660 on the transmission output splines. This lasted to 19K miles. Again the pulley splines were gone and this time so were the splines on the transmission output shaft.

What to do? What to do? Well, it's either pull the engine, split the cases, and replace the shaft (at least $300 in parts and special tools with no labor costs included) or weld the pulley to the output shaft. 15 year old bike with 19K miles? What is there to lose by welding? -- not much.

So a friend MIG welded the pulley to the end of the output shaft and to the pulley retaining nut. This fix lasted until 22K miles when the last inch of the shaft sheared.

OK,  with the output shaft splines gone now it's time for me to fix it right - pull the engine, split the cases, etc. My point is that the weld fix is worth a try. I got 3K miles out of it at practically no cost. I believe the Previous Owner thought it was worth a try, too, however PO should have advised you of the weld fix. It's a buyer-beware world.

Unless the belt is badly damaged follow the advice given here. Get it running. Once it's running OK, put on new tires (it is not necessary to remove the front pulley to replace the rear tire), then ride it until the pulley weld breaks. This is much more likely than having a belt break. At that point you have several options: Re-do the weld fix, do the correct but very expensive case splitting, or part it out.

« Last Edit: 09/26/12 at 06:16:29 by BuckRYCA »  

'96 Savage - now a Ryca CS-1
WWW BuckRYCA BuckRYCA   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #17 - 09/25/12 at 07:01:45

Mikecool5 wrote on 09/25/12 at 02:43:15:
i will try to borrow a camera from somebody and get pics, theres a decent amount of metal there, crappy looking welds though. The thing with just leaving it alone is it was in storage for about 7 years and sitting out in the weather for another 3 and i dont know how safe i would feel driving it without replacing the belt.

The belts are pretty hardy.  and even if it does go, they're not like a chain that'll take you out when they break.

WWW   IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #18 - 09/25/12 at 07:09:45

One of the reasons the pulley gave up is because it is usually made of sintered metal. You are better off getting a sproket which is made of hardened steel mated to the shaft, machined to bolt on to a pulley of same diameter and teeth pitch which should be ideally made of mild steel and getting the sproket welded to the spline on the motor and the pulley bolted onto the sproket. I have thought long and hard about converting a GS500 which is chain to belt. That would be the way I'd do it, however a GS to add to this problem has a sprocket that is held on with a circlip not a nut like the savage.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #19 - 09/25/12 at 08:58:35

I'm not familiar with the parts involved, so this is nothing more than a brainstorm comment,... Would the RYCA kit for converting to a chain be of any help here?

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #20 - 09/25/12 at 09:19:33

Gyrobob wrote on 09/25/12 at 08:58:35:
I'm not familiar with the parts involved, so this is nothing more than a brainstorm comment,... Would the RYCA kit for converting to a chain be of any help here?

Not if the spline is damaged. Sprockets cant quite be welded on cos they wear out and need to be changed. Only way it will work is with a belt and pulley.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Mikecool5
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 09/25/12 at 16:00:17

Just use the camera in your phone. [/quote]

i have a ccrappy $29 metro phone it can take pics but i cant get them to the computer. I will try to borrow one this week.

I should be able to get it running this week or next the tank hasnt had fuel in it in a long time but its pretty rusty so i will have to clean it out before anything and as for the tires i know they need replacing and will get to that as soon as i can afford it. Thanks for all the advice

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #22 - 09/25/12 at 20:43:18

Mikecool5 wrote on 09/25/12 at 16:00:17:
i have a ccrappy $29 metro phone it can take pics but i cant get them to the computer. I will try to borrow one this week.

I should be able to get it running this week or next the tank hasnt had fuel in it in a long time but its pretty rusty so i will have to clean it out before anything and as for the tires i know they need replacing and will get to that as soon as i can afford it. Thanks for all the advice

Don't put them in the computer.  Just email them from the phone.

« Last Edit: 09/26/12 at 04:20:42 by Gyrobob »  

IP Logged
Mikecool5
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 09/26/12 at 08:41:18

Gyrobob wrote on 09/25/12 at 20:43:18:
Mikecool5 wrote on 09/25/12 at 16:00:17:

Don't put them in the computer.  Just email them from the phone.

if i could i would, this phone wont email pics

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #24 - 09/26/12 at 09:42:27

oh

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 01:41:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Front pulley nut welded by previous owner

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.