Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Dave's O2 Sensor Install (Read 781 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Dave's O2 Sensor Install
Reply #15 - 09/29/12 at 13:05:09

Well I added 6 discs to the existing 8 discs........Waaaay too loud!  It didn't change the O2 readings at all.

I put the SuperTrapp back to the 8 discs, then lowered the float setting just a bit.  I was going to try a 50 Pilot Jet....but I don't have one.  The idle mixture screw is out about 1-3/4 turns for a good mixture - which makes me think I could drop a Pilot Jet Size.

I just went for a 106 mile ride and the bike ran great.  It is smooth and does not have any flat spots or roughness.  I got 54.3 mpg as best as I can calculate - it is hard to fill it up exactly the same amount each time.  The engine pulls strongly at all rpms and throttle settings.  I am pleased with how this worked out.

If anybody want to trade me a 50 Pilot Jet for a 52.5 let me know.  I somehow ended up without any 50 jet and I have two 52.5 jets.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 09/29/12 at 22:38:47

Well I added 6 discs to the existing 8 discs........Waaaay too loud!  It didn't change the O2 readings at all.

Im seriously surprised,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 09/30/12 at 03:03:33

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/29/12 at 22:38:47:

Im seriously surprised,,

The bike was already running a bit too rich, and it stayed that way.  If the bike had been running normal.....or a bit on the lean side.....it may have made a difference and required a jet change.

On our Savage from the factory it comes too lean......and doing something like adding a muffler only makes the lean condition worse.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #18 - 09/30/12 at 10:28:35

I would have thot adding 8 disks, which is exactly what I did, would have leaned it out. Im runnin the K&N slip in element, I Think , IIRC, a 152 main & I cant even guess at the pilot. But IM sure IM rich,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #19 - 10/10/12 at 12:48:17

Just from curiosity, did you use a standard Savage header pipe? If you did, perhaps you could work out some way your system could be rented to other Forum members, with a suitable deposit. It might be a way to get some real data from those with stock and aftermarket systems. It would be interesting to either confirm or refute some of the "wisdom" floating around about rejetting.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 10/11/12 at 04:33:50

Charon wrote on 10/10/12 at 12:48:17:
Just from curiosity, did you use a standard Savage header pipe? If you did, perhaps you could work out some way your system could be rented to other Forum members, with a suitable deposit. It might be a way to get some real data from those with stock and aftermarket systems. It would be interesting to either confirm or refute some of the "wisdom" floating around about rejetting.

Yes, I used a standard header pipe and intentionally mounted the sensor in a place that did not disturb the end of the pipe so you could bolt anything on that works with the stock header.  I would be willing to rent the pipe and sensor with a deposit......the only issues are how to keep the system from being on an indefinite loan and remaining in the public domain.  The system can be mounted in about an hour.  Any help in establishing a reasonable rental and depost amount are appreciated.

« Last Edit: 02/26/15 at 03:14:10 by Dave »  

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #21 - 10/11/12 at 05:43:11

It would be interesting to hook up a cyl head temp gauge and an exhaust gas temp gauge while you vary the mixtures.  There are few folks here having trouble grasping the concept that max temps happen at a stoichiometrically optimal air:fuel ratio of 14.7:1 where the fuel charge is burned the quickest and yet most evenly and most completely.  This means the temps are lower at mixtures leaner (say, 18:1) or richer (say, 12:1).

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #22 - 10/11/12 at 06:15:06

Gyrobob wrote on 10/11/12 at 05:43:11:
It would be interesting to hook up a cyl head temp gauge and an exhaust gas temp gauge while you vary the mixtures.  There are few folks here having trouble grasping the concept that max temps happen at a stoichiometrically optimal air:fuel ratio of 14.7:1 where the fuel charge is burned the quickest and yet most evenly and most completely.  This means the temps are lower at mixtures leaner (say, 18:1) or richer (say, 12:1).

I am one that always believed that leaner mixtures burned hotter....as that is when exhaust valves, spark plug insulators and piston crowns get burned up.  It could be that it is not the heat doing the burning - it could be the left over O2 is burning those things.  In the old days of having 2 stroke motorcycles lean meant scored pistons....but that is probably a result of not having enough fuel/oil mixture to lubricate things adequately.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #23 - 10/11/12 at 06:48:41

I think it would be about Ultimate Cool if there were parts available for setups & testing. TRust becomes an issue. Ive seen people struggling with their bike & wondered how handy would it be for them to open a box, install the carb, test run it & IF that solved the problem, go to work on their carb, ride the bike, once they get their carb back in order, install, test & either leave it on or swap back & work on theirs some more, or, maybe just ship theirs off to one of these carb genius guys.
Petcock issues? Ehhh,, so what if ya buy a $30.00 part? NO biggeee there..
BUt, this O2 sensor & related equipment,  NOw thats a dandy Idea.

I wonder if a guy could go to a State Inspection station & have them just sniff the exhaust for them..They dont do that here, yet.

Dave, W/o having to re read the whole thread, is there something you could say about it? Just in a nutshell,, what you learned? Saw?

How would you describe the process & what you were able to do using your sensor, if you were telling someone who never heard about it before?
If you dont wanna type that, thats fine, if its more than you wanna mess with,

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #24 - 10/11/12 at 15:52:55

JOG.....No problem typing an answer.  My mother taught typing in a high school and I learned to type early.....and I can type almost as fast as I can think.

I think the big thing I learned is that we may all be trying jets that are too big, and maybe not moving the slide needle as much as we should.  I currently am running a 150 main and a 52.5 pilot, and I have 3 washers under the slide needle - but my slide needle has a clip and I have moved it to the third space from the bottom.  I just went for a ride and the gauge is showing I have a mixture of 12.7:1 at all throttle settings.  The only time it is leaner is when at idle as I can set the screw wherever I want it, and it goes lean when you close the throttle.  I just looked on the internet and the ideal mixture for power is 12.6:1, the mixture where there are equal parts air and fuel burned and nothing is left over is 14.7:1, and maximum fuel economy is 15.4:1.  I think at the 12.7:1 I am about perfect.......it might be nice to lean the cruise out just a tad for economy - but right now the engine runs smooooooth as silk and has great power and throttle response.

The O2 gauge allowed me to know exactly where I needed to make things richer or leaner.....and I avoided lots of trial and error.  And I am not experienced enough to know by ear exactly what rich sounds like......or maybe not even what lean sounds like.  I knew the surging my bike had just off throttle was lean......but it was an obvious problem.  How to fix it was not so obvious.

« Last Edit: 06/07/16 at 14:31:10 by Dave »  

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #25 - 10/11/12 at 23:24:28

Dave wrote on 10/11/12 at 15:52:55:
JOG.....No problem typing an answer.  My mother taught typing in a high school and I learned to type early.....and I can type almost as fast as I can think.

I think the big thing I learned is that we may all be trying jets that are too big, and maybe not moving the slide needle as much as we should.  I currently am running a 150 main and a 52.5 pilot, and I have 3 washers under the slide needle - but my slide needle has a clip and I have moved it to the third space from the bottom.  I just went for a ride and the gauge is showing I have a mixture of 12.7:1 at all throttle settings.  The only time it is leaner is when at idle as I can set the screw wherever I want it, and it goes lean when you close the throttle.  I just looked on the internet and the ideal mixture for power is 12.6:1, the mixture where there are equal parts air and fuel burned and nothing is left over is 14.7:1, and maximum fuel economy is 15.4:1.  I think at the 12.7:1 I am about perfect.......it might be nice to lean the cruise out just a tad for economy - but right now the engine runs smooooooth as silk and has great power and throttle response.

The O2 gauge allowed me to know exactly where I needed to make things richer or leaner.....and I avoided lots of trial and error.  And I am not experienced enough to know by ear exactly what rich sounds like......or maybe not even what lean sounds like.  I new the surging my bike had just off throttle was lean......but it was an obvious problem.  How to fix it was not so obvious.

.and I can type almost as fast as I can think.

You Too!?,, One Tiny detail, tho, I only use one finger & type about 4 words a minute,,

You did a cool thing w/ that sensor, I hope the community gained a lot.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #26 - 10/12/12 at 05:01:36

....I just went for a ride and the gauge is showing I have a mixture of 12.7:1 at all throttle settings.  The only time it is leaner is when at idle as I can set the screw wherever I want it, and it goes lean when you close the throttle.  I just looked on the internet and the ideal mixture for power is 12.6:1, the mixture where there are equal parts air and fuel burned and nothing is left over is 14.7:1, and maximum fuel economy is 15.4:1.  I think at the 12.7:1 I am about perfect.......it might be nice to lean the cruise out just a tad for economy - but right now the engine runs smooooooth as silk and has great power and throttle response.

The O2 gauge allowed me to know exactly where I needed to make things richer or leaner.....and I avoided lots of trial and error.  And I am not experienced enough to know by ear exactly what rich sounds like......or maybe not even what lean sounds like.  I new the surging my bike had just off throttle was lean......but it was an obvious problem.  How to fix it was not so obvious.

Excellent work.  If only the factory would have been that precise!

One thing to consider.  Air:fuel ratio of the mixture at the instant it is ready to be burned in the combustion chamber will be different on a hot day compared to a cold day, at higher elevations compared to sea level, and on a cloudy day compared to a clear day because of the differences in humidity and pressure.  They will even vary a tenth or two depending on the exact blend of gas.

That said,..  

-- what you have done is to make the carb consistent at all throttle settings and flow rates.
-- you have given us all an appreciation for how the carb has to be several carbs all in one to properly handle high flow rates vs small flow rates, and wide open vs idle.

Quite an accomplishment.

I'd still like to see how all this effects cyl head temp and exhaust gas temp.

« Last Edit: 11/13/12 at 05:47:21 by Gyrobob »  

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #27 - 10/12/12 at 05:42:35

And, if there is anything I get from it all, it is, INternal combustion engines probably shouldnt run at all,, when they do, they really otta just melt & puke in a matter of minutes, BUT! What a great place to live! OUr goofy little 3D reality/time/space continuum ALLOWS us to have these things & they RUN & theyre pretty forgiving. Amazing little things. Slugs of aluminum flying up & down, inside tubes, sealed by a steel ring that doesnt need replaced NEArly as often as it would seem it should. & they dont just blow clouds of smoke, burning oil. Think how many times the rings slide up & down in the cylinder to go 100,000 miles..Pretty amazing, just not wearing out from sliding, then add in the violence of combustion. REally? These things dont just self destruct? How cool is that?

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 10/12/12 at 06:11:15

I think at the 12.7:1 I am about perfect...

This corresponds with what Cobra says about my C50 and I'm happy to see that.

Quote:
Three easily identifiable lights: green - Fi2000R is adding more fuel to the air/fuel ratio approximately 14:1; green and yellow lights - these lights will be on in unison when throttle is open more quickly and air/fuel mixture is approximately 12.5:1; red - light comes on and stays on as long as the Fi2000R follows the fuel curve while adjusting to approximately 12.8:1 air/fuel ratio, which is where the engine will produce its best full-throttle power

--Steve

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #29 - 10/12/12 at 07:36:15

One thing I did that was a big help was to replace the phillips head screws on the float bowl with allen head screws.  This allows me to easily drop the floatbowl while the bike is still on the bike.  The back of the float bowl is up against the battery box, and I cannot get a phillips in there.....with the allen wrench I can get 1/4-1/3 or a turn and although it takes a few minutes to get each screw out.....it is still faster than taking the carb off.  I still have to take the seat and tank off, remove the battery and battery box, then remove the carb to get to the slide and slide needle......but for main and pilot jet changes and float level changes......I can drop the float bowl while the carb is still mounted.

IMG_0485.JPG

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:50:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dave's O2 Sensor Install

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.