Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
The truth please (Read 1101 times)
ColoS40Girl

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

The truth please
09/23/12 at 18:36:15

How many miles do you get on a tank of gas BEFORE going to the reserve?  I rode approximately 41 miles before it kept cutting out at stop signs. I had to put it on reserve to get the bike home.  Sad  And, yes, the tank was topped off and not partially filled.  The bike is not broken in yet with only 570 miles.

The only thing I did differently was drills in the parking lot for about 3 hours.  Slow maneuvers, Ride Like A Pro, drills.  

What can I truly expect from a tank before going to the reserve?  

IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Re: The truth please
Reply #1 - 09/23/12 at 18:37:21

I get around 120 miles before hitting reserve.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 09/23/12 at 18:41:05

You have well over a half tank of gas yet your bike acts like it is running out of gas ......  (sigh)

Sad

Please read this thread, you may have something going on with your bike that you need to understand a little bit about so it won't take you by surprise if/when it happens again.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429/1

570 miles, still not broken in completely -- she will be the earliest onset seen if it is indeed so

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #3 - 09/23/12 at 18:41:39

Mine typically gets 110 - 120 miles without getting into Reserve. It is a 2007 S40, box stock. That's operating at normal highway speeds of 60 or so. If I drive faster, gas mileage and fuel range decrease.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 09/23/12 at 18:50:19

I was seeing close to 100 on a full tank.

--Steve

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 09/23/12 at 19:10:52

Colo was riding slow drills in a parking lot for 3 hours.  Think that low vac chug-a-lugging up & down scenario drove her vac petcock into delivery seizures ???

Will it be temporary, or is this mebbe a formula for creating early onset of the "stumble troubles"?

I hope I am wrong this time ....      Sad

============================

When you tanked up, how many gallons went into the tank to fill you back up all the way?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #6 - 09/23/12 at 19:22:00

At 134 miles this tank without hitting reserve since last fill up w/ Raptor.

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
ColoS40Girl

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 09/23/12 at 19:22:41

Thanks all. Oldfeller, I will read the tread but your second post went straight over my head.  Please explain so I can understand. I am not mechanically inclined.  

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 09/23/12 at 19:30:00

There are only two things that can make your bike act like you are running out of gas when you have plenty of gas in the tank.

One is massive carb malfunctions (like sticking slides) which very rarely happen and then they certainly don't go healing themselves on their own miraculously.   For a practically new carb to have a sticking slide is not a good thing.

The other is a vac petcock malfunction, which does happen altogether too often, which can "heal" itself and then can and will reoccur later on.   My thoughts run to this as your problem, as quite frankly it fits the symptoms altogether too well.

My asking you how much gas went into the tank when you filled it up when you thought you were out of gas was a telling clue (of which we are still waiting on hearing your answer).

Does your bike act normally now, or do you still have some trouble at stop signs?

What is going on now, that you KNOW you have a full tank of gas?

=======================

IS YOUR BIKE NEW AND UNDER SUZUKI FACTORY WARRANTY?

If so, beat a path to your dealership and tell them your issues and ask them for warranty service.    Make them tell you what is wrong with your bike.   And don't pay them a penny for anything they do -- these items I have mentioned are all known issues with the bike that they should have done a recall on years ago if they weren't such cheapskates about it.

Start a warranty claim dispute (get a dispute number logged into the system with Suzuki America if you have to) -- on a new bike under warranty YOU shouldn't have to put up with this nonsense.

We are seeing an uptick in new bike issues with Suzuki now that the motors are being built out of country (not built in Japan any more).

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Reply #9 - 09/23/12 at 19:56:00

I think an important question is, after you switched to reserve and filled up, how much gas did it take to fill it up?

I have a highly modified setup and I only get around 80 miles before I switch to reserve.

'97, k&n airfilter, bcb pipe, custom leather seat, monoshock, custom bars
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #10 - 09/23/12 at 20:10:07

ColoS40Girl I've only had to switch to reserve twice on my '96 model. Both times were on the interstate with rush hour traffic rolling along at 70+mph! I'd run around 90-100 hard and fast miles both times. Believe me, I crank on it through the gears and run the two lanes at 60+mph,the freeway at 75 so I go through the juice! But hey! you ride to enjoy it right?

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
clearush

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deer Park,TX
Reply #11 - 09/23/12 at 20:18:38

When I hit 90-95 miles I put in about 2 gallons and never have to hit reserve.

IP Logged
RC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Quartz Hill Ca.
Reply #12 - 09/23/12 at 20:55:02

120 I just put gas in it every 100 miles and never hit reserve anymore

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #13 - 09/23/12 at 21:14:31

ColoS40Girl wrote on 09/23/12 at 18:36:15:
How many miles do you get on a tank of gas BEFORE going to the reserve?  I rode approximately 41 miles before it kept cutting out at stop signs. I had to put it on reserve to get the bike home.  Sad  And, yes, the tank was topped off and not partially filled.  The bike is not broken in yet with only 570 miles.

The only thing I did differently was drills in the parking lot for about 3 hours.  Slow maneuvers, Ride Like A Pro, drills.  

What can I truly expect from a tank before going to the reserve?  

You got issues that need attention, under warranty if you are still under warranty.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
J C Stokes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 09/23/12 at 21:38:45

If it's new go back to the dealer like Old Fella says. I would be a little careful about telling them you were in a parking lot at low speed for three hours with a very low mileage and I'm assuming, brand new bike.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 22:26:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › The truth please

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.