Send Topic Print
The truth please (Read 1101 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: The truth please
Reply #15 - 09/23/12 at 22:51:27

And, yes, the tank was topped off and not partially filled.  The bike is not broken in yet with only 570 miles.

Im guessing that means you bought it new?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #16 - 09/23/12 at 22:53:18

Normally, a good running Savage should get about 60mpg (give or take 5)......
Running to reserve in 40 miles makes you worse than 20 mpg...

That's very wrong... Huh...
Fuel is going somewhere it shouldn't...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
J C Stokes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 09/23/12 at 23:54:40

At the risk of demonstrating my ignorance, did the lady have the choke in all the way?

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #18 - 09/24/12 at 02:39:01

The truth ?
A good running s40 will average 50mpg. If riding in the hills and curves, 45mpg is very common. Riding on freeways at 65,.......I don't know.
I also don't know how anyone could get down to 25mpg, except off road hill climbing ??

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #19 - 09/24/12 at 05:34:13

70mph with 15 inch rise handlebars and a 6'2" 225# rider still gets around 35mpg. Something is definitely screwy with your stock petcock.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #20 - 09/24/12 at 05:35:55

Routy, read the top 5-6 items in RSD this morning and tell me truthfully, do you still think it is all petcock paranoia any more?   Or do we really have an issue with the bikes that is becoming more prevalent on the newer ones being built with Chinese sourced components and all.

Verslagen and you are the bellwethers on "convinced" and he has swung over now.   Charon believes, he just likes to see factual data (which is a good thing).

Where are you now?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
mojohand40

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 09/24/12 at 05:56:32

It's kinda funny: When I bought my 98 the previous owner told me just as I was getting ready to ride it home "You may need gas soon, it only gets about 50-60 miles to a tank"...I remember thinking, that doesn't sound right....but I kept topping it off right around 50-60 miles...
...then one morning..chug--cough ---chug...I switch to reserve, but bike won't start, tried prime, nothing......finally I get some gas in a can and fill it back up and all is good.
So then I went here on the forum and read about the petcock and the vacuum etc, and the raptor.
Long story short, I got a Raptor petcock and and plugged the vacuum etc. Bike runs better, no more problems.
upon inspection, I believe that my petcock was really just gunked and dirty. I mean, seriously, it's a wonder the bike ran at all.
When I tried to drain the tank to make the raptor switch, prime didn't do anything at all.
Like I said before, my 98 was pretty much left in the elements  etc a long time before the PO bought it and then he rode it for awhile and sold it me.  So I don't know if the petcock was faulty on mine or just filthy.
BTW..I drained the tank and got everything out of it before installing the raptor. I'm pulling the tank off to paint it next weekend (started side cover and fender this past weekend..sanded and primed!) so I'll really need to clean the tank good then.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #22 - 09/24/12 at 06:05:10

Was yours gunked with external stuff, or like Lou's were a few of the smaller internal rubber metering parts slowly turning themselves into bubble gum?

One of the issues is that the older bikes were built with parts that were never intended to see 10% alcohol gasoline.  The petcock falls into this category of parts on the pre-1995 era bikes.

There are little rubber valve components in that vac petcock that can fail leading to some of the symptoms we commonly see.

The Raptor petcock is much simpler, and lacks all of these known failure mode pieces.  

Simplicity is beautiful in this case.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #23 - 09/24/12 at 06:59:47

THere is, depending on where she lives, and the ambient temp, the possibility that after 3 hrs of parking lot work that the bike was overheating???

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #24 - 09/24/12 at 09:16:31

Why would overheating wait until after she was done in the parking lot and was on the way home (full speed, full air cooling)?

And how does overheating affect anything that would cause a "stumble stop" at an intersection?   Vapor locking the gas lines would take a WHOLE LOT of heat.

If her engine was that hot, she'd be cooking her legs the whole time  .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Bradford
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 09/24/12 at 17:14:02

Does it mater what year raptor petcock is needed to fit our bikes Undecided

IP Logged
ColoS40Girl

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 09/24/12 at 17:27:43

Sorry!  I haven't been around.  I have yet to go to the gas station.  I did breeze out my bike during the drills and also turned the bike off several times to let it cool down.  I live in Colorado and the tempature was in the low 80s.  I plan to first put gas in it and then take it to the dealership as the bike is still under warranty.  I am out of town until Friday so I will gas up then and post my findings.  Thanks again for all the responses. Smiley

The bike is a 2012. I bought it used but have the warranty.  I just had the 600 mile service on it and have only put 15 miles on it since.

IP Logged
ColoS40Girl

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 09/28/12 at 19:10:53

Update:  I put 1.29 gallons in today.  The manual states the tank only holds 2.6 gallons so I should not have to use the reserve but did.  I truly believe the gas in the tank was of good quality. Even with parking lot drills, I did let the bike cool off and breezed out the engine.  I know I did not abuse the bike by riding it too long without letting it cool down.

I am now convinced it is a vac petcock problem as I had the same cutoff problem as another poster in another thread.  I am not happy to have a hardly used bike with this problem already.  My plans is to go to the dealership tomorrow and raise H@LL!  Sad

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #28 - 09/28/12 at 19:45:29

Dont Raise Hell,, just go in & explain it, show them what youve learned. YOu know more than they do. YOu can be mean later,, you can get a lot more by simply demonstrating knowledge & understanding of how it works & how it is failing that going in & trying to kikkass on them,
If that doesnt work, call Suzuki,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #29 - 09/28/12 at 19:54:28

Get the dealership's managers email address and we will all send him candy grams should they be silly enough to screw around with you.

Or if we have your claim number, we can express how we feel to Suzuki of America, same small amount of effort either way.

Roll Eyes

"Candy gram, candy gram for Mungo ..... Mungo, candy gram for Mungo !!!"             KABOOOOM !!!!

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 00:31:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › The truth please

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.