Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
adding a second tail light (Read 233 times)
misterbbq

Acworth, GA
adding a second tail light
09/23/12 at 17:39:52

after a tailgating experience today whereby a jacked up pick up truck was so close to me i could only make out the side of his truck in my right side view mirror.  flashing my brakes did no good so i eventually just moved over even though i was doing the speed limit.  he went blasting past me only to slam on his brakes a little later when he noticed the georgia state patrol car on the side of the road lol.

in any case....got me to thinking.  could a second brake light be mounted somewhere higher (like say mounted to the top of a sissy bar)?  will the existing electrical system handle that?

IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Re: adding a second tail light
Reply #1 - 09/23/12 at 17:48:58

They sell brake lights that are wireless and mount to your helmet.

http://atlantispowersports.com/wirelesshelmetlight.htm

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #2 - 09/23/12 at 18:01:15

If I was to do that, I would definitely do it as a LED light.  They can be brighter and use alot less power then regular incandescent bulbs.   Just make sure you get one that is designed as a LED and not one that uses one of those replacement LED bulbs that fit in the regular incandescent sockets.

Myself when I changed out my signals to LED units I got 3 wire ones, and also installed a trailer wire converter so that the lights work as run/turn/brake lights, so in effect I now have 3 brake lights on the rear of mine.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
misterbbq

Acworth, GA
Reply #3 - 09/23/12 at 18:02:03

very interesting....thank you for the link.

being that i don't use my pillion.....i'm now thinking of adding some sort of a trunk with integrated tail light.

bozo today probably didn't care that i was flashing my taillight....but he was so close to me that i wonder if he even saw my taillight at all.

i like the idea of the helmet light quite a bit....

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 09/23/12 at 18:04:32

If that's all you've added,.. then, yeah, it'll handle it... tungsten or LED...

LED's pull next to nuthin' but most aren't very bright...

I have dual tungsten tail/brake lights... but I've disconnected my front running lights...

Yes,.. what he said...
rfw2003 wrote on 09/23/12 at 18:01:15:
Just make sure you get one that is designed as a LED and not one that uses one of those replacement LED bulbs that fit in the regular incandescent sockets.R.F.

... but, the a-holes will still be a-holes... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #5 - 09/23/12 at 18:12:15

A brake light of almost any type wouldn't be a problem, because they are used for short periods of time. The alternator has plenty of time to recharge the battery between applications. Only problem might arise if you used a light of such high wattage that the switches couldn't handle the current.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
misterbbq

Acworth, GA
Reply #6 - 09/23/12 at 18:12:33

If I was to do that, I would definitely do it as a LED light.  They can be brighter and use alot less power then regular incandescent bulbs.   Just make sure you get one that is designed as a LED and not one that uses one of those replacement LED bulbs that fit in the regular incandescent sockets.

Myself when I changed out my signals to LED units I got 3 wire ones, and also installed a trailer wire converter so that the lights work as run/turn/brake lights, so in effect I now have 3 brake lights on the rear of mine.

R.F.

have any photos of what you have done?

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #7 - 09/23/12 at 19:34:01

misterbbq wrote on 09/23/12 at 18:12:33:

R.F.

have any photos of what you have done?

This what you wanted the pic of?

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
misterbbq

Acworth, GA
Reply #8 - 09/24/12 at 02:46:17

yep.  very cool....and i see you've made a mod or 2 to your bike!! lol.

still trying to figure out what i want to do....but i might just get a helmet light to start with.  don't know how one of those trunks with a tail light will work on the pillion itself as they all seem to be designed to attach to a 'shelf'.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #9 - 09/24/12 at 03:18:56

It's changed abit more since that pic as well.  I'm constantly doing something new to the little ole' savage  Wink

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #10 - 09/26/12 at 19:28:30

I put brake lights on my trunk a while back:

I've had several people tell me that the lights are quite attention-getting.

FWIW, here is the build thread:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1278562220/6#6

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Cavie

My wife made me do
it

Port charlotte Fl
Reply #11 - 09/26/12 at 20:12:44

here's what I put on my Vol.

bike_mods_010.JPG

'05 Boulavard S40
'03 Volusia Intruder
  IP Logged
misterbbq

Acworth, GA
Reply #12 - 09/27/12 at 09:16:03

i like both of those ideas quite a bit!  i'm slowly researching what i want and will post some pics of what i decide to do.  i like the trunk idea and i like the idea of mounting it IN PLACE of the rear seat.  i have a single seat but found a cheap 2 piece set on ebay for $25 (they need recovered).

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 09/27/12 at 11:28:44

On my Nighthawk, I installed four small flush-fitting LED turn signals above the taillight and wired them all together into the brake light wiring.
That bike has a tail section where the Savage doesn't; so the mounting couldn't be the same, but the idea worked really well. I don't have pictures, but they are small and unobtrusive until they come on; they were cheap, only one LED bulb per signal, so they aren't as noticeable in the daylight, but they are VERY noticeable at night, and that's what I wanted...

Mine were this style, but any flush LED turn signal would work....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-LED-MOTORCYCLE-FLUSH-MOUNT-TURN-SIGNAL-CHRO...

IP Logged
tomw
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 10/05/12 at 17:20:04

BE carefull when buying Led some are less bright then stock especaily blinkers     I bought a break/running led bulb  choice clear or red I bought the clear thinking that it would be brighter then the red led it was brighter all right, it was so bright running light looked like break light was on, that's ok but when the break was applied light looked bright pink color. Well order a red led and couldent be happyer I well keep the clear for a extra???

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 10:14:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › adding a second tail light

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.