Send Topic Print
My newest mod... :( (Read 110 times)
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
My newest mod... :(
09/23/12 at 11:51:25

I broke my LR turn signal. I am not exactly sure what happened. My buddy didn't see it happen so he was no help. The best I can figure is the bike rolled off the side stand when I was about to hop on it. Since I always squeeze the brake lever when I mount and dismount, it doesn't make sense. Unless it was perfectly balanced and the slight pressure when putting my hand on the bars to grab the brake pushed it over the edge. It fell on my leg. I fell onto my buddy's Harley. Thankfully his stand locks in a V-groove thing and didn't fall. Scratched the black rubber gasket thing around both mirrors. No idea how I mucked up the right one. My leg hurts but I will survive. It just sux...

ts.jpg

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: My newest mod... :(
Reply #1 - 09/23/12 at 12:37:02

Ive repaired busted up rear lites several times with Devcon 5 minute epoxy, but I dont think I could get that back together, unless the outer shell isnt busted into pieces. From the looks of that, you got a baggie full
of little bits of plastic. If you can piece it back together you can at least ride till the new one gets shipped & installed.
If you decide to go that way, Devcon sells small bottles ( about 4 oz each, I think), unless you use a lot of epoxy, youll be set up for a coupla years.
It doesnt go to heck sitting in the shop. Its not like contact cement.
When mixing epoxy, using a hair less hardener keeps it from getting as hard, it isnt brittle that way. Some places, more hardener is good, others, not so much.
In the long run, you save $$$, but if you dont have much experience w/ epoxy, you mite be ahead to get the twin syringe dispenser,so youll pretty much be guaranteed to land the 50/50 mix.
I dont use cardboard to mix on. It soaks stuff up & I dont trust that. I have a piece of 1/4" plastic Ive had for years. The best stir/application tool Ive found is a tool used by people who install windshields. If you have an ABC parts store that also has a glass shop ( we do) you can ask if they have an old one they could let go of for a buck. I have 2, different shapes, courtesy of the grinder. The local Beauty Supply house has cuticle sticks for manicures. Those are handy, too.
&, they can be turned into an industrial style Q-Tip by winding cotton from a cotton ball tightly around them.

A little masking tape, maybe even cut into thin strips, to hold it together while epoxy is applied to the inside & allowed to cure, then , once cured, add a couple more bits & epoxy them. Here is a good place to use more hardener, so it cures faster.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #2 - 09/23/12 at 14:14:18

Yeah, I do have a bag of pieces. I will try to glue it together. Hopefully BikeBandit ships on Monday and I get the replacement soon.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #3 - 09/23/12 at 14:56:57

Where does the wire route? On the outside of the fender along the chrome trim?

Advice on an aftermarket light specs?

8mm or 10mm stud? looks square to me

1 wire, 2 wire, or 3 wire?

I really want to go LED

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #4 - 09/23/12 at 15:06:40

Pine wrote on 09/23/12 at 14:56:57:
Where does the wire route? On the outside of the fender along the chrome trim?

Advice on an aftermarket light specs?

8mm or 10mm stud? looks square to me

1 wire, 2 wire, or 3 wire?

I really want to go LED

I used a universal 3/8" stud type bullet signal that is 3 wire.   The stock wiring runs under the chrome fender supports.   If you don't replace the flasher you will also need to use some load resistors on the LED's to get your flash rate correct or even to work in some instances.

Also I moved my signals down to the license plate instead of being on the fender supports

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
cowboy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 09/23/12 at 15:54:39

sorry about that first pull seat then 3 bolts under fender lossen the allen bolts on sissy bar they go straight up becarefull not to  scratch the paint it is 2 wire and they are inside chrome side piece  by losseing sissy bar it helps to not scratch  paint good luck.

IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #6 - 09/23/12 at 16:24:08

I removed the rail and light. I am not seeing any way to glue it together. Maybe I'll run with an amber bulb until the replacement shows up.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 09/23/12 at 17:51:40

Time to upgrade!

--Steve

IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #8 - 09/23/12 at 18:04:21

Paraquat wrote on 09/23/12 at 17:51:40:

Call me crazy, but I like the look and shape of the factory signals. Except for that rubber spacer thing. I ordered a set of adapters to get rid of the rubber things. I paid more for the adapters than I could have purchased replacements for. But, I do like them.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 20:22:06

General CategoryThe Cafe › My newest mod... :(

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.