Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Nitrogen anyone?
09/22/12 at 10:21:42

So who's up for nitrogen in your tires?

According to the experts at every national oil change outfit the benefits are endless. Better gas mileage, less frequent air pressure checks because it stays in the tires longer, less condensation and pressure fluctuations with temperature variances (which is VERY important to me because I am installing wings and a vertical stabilizer on my bike next week and planning to fly my bike up to about 20K feet and I certainly don't want my tire pressure to have any variance up there in case I want to land and ride around on a cloud or two).

Sounds like we all need to give this some serious thought.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Nitrogen anyone?
Reply #1 - 09/22/12 at 11:11:02

Seeing as regular air has 78% nitrogen,.. and theoretically the oxygen leaks out faster than the nitrogen,... if you're tires are more than a year old, I'd guess they're mostly nitrogen by now anyway...
Huh...

You'd think my slow leak in the front tire would have gone away by now... with all that nitrogen in there...Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 09/22/12 at 13:55:20

Serowbot wrote on 09/22/12 at 11:11:02:
Seeing as regular air has 78% nitrogen,.. and theoretically the oxygen leaks out faster than the nitrogen,... if you're tires are more than a year old, I'd guess they're mostly nitrogen by now anyway...

Dang Rowboat! I knew it was in there, I didnt know it was such a big part..

Air contains roughly 78% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, trace amounts of other gases, and a variable amount (average around 1%) of water vapor.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_percentage_of_each_gas_is_in_the_air#ixzz27EZf...

Weve got more argon that CO2! .038% CO2,, but thats the one thats got everyone all skeert,, Hmmm..

Ohh well,,
Your thinking is golden, refill a slow leak 5 times & there otta not be much in there but nitrogen,

Huh...

You'd think my slow leak in the front tire would have gone away by now... with all that nitrogen in there...Huh...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #3 - 09/22/12 at 16:03:56

Unless you race or drive long-haul, you're not gonna notice a difference between nitrogen and air.

I'm also not sure what that comment about riding on clouds was about.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #4 - 09/22/12 at 16:15:53

Cavi Mike wrote on 09/22/12 at 16:03:56:
Unless you race or drive long-haul, you're not gonna notice a difference between nitrogen and air.

I use Nitrogen in my cage tires and while I didn't notice a diff in fuel mileage I did notice better tire wear and also I only have to redo the air pressure about once a year.  So the benefits are there for more then just OTR drivers and racers

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 09/22/12 at 16:38:22

My wifes Pontiac vibe came to us w/ nitrogen in them. After about a year I had to air some up. After that, it was more often, I like nitrogen in tires, but then, Id like a vette in the driveway,, I cant afford that either,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Greg-E
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 09/22/12 at 18:39:57

rfw2003 wrote on 09/22/12 at 16:15:53:

I use Nitrogen in my cage tires and while I didn't notice a diff in fuel mileage I did notice better tire wear and also I only have to redo the air pressure about once a year.  So the benefits are there for more then just OTR drivers and racers

R.F.

And with good wheels and tires I only have to use regular air in one set of wheels/tires on my car once a year. If you are racing it is easier to compute the pressure change from temperature of a "pure" gas vs. the mixed regular air. Buying a nitrogen fill is a huge scam, if it is free then there is no problem. If you really want better performance, put a dryer on your air line before airing up, the moisture is the worst part and makes the pressure increase with temperature much bigger since the water expands more than the gasses.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #7 - 09/22/12 at 20:23:14

Aircraft tires (at least the Cessna's I flew in flight school) were nitrogen filled. Since you have low temperatures and less pressure at altitude thus temperature fluctuations from down here to up there, having nitrogen in the tires is an attempt to eliminate most moisture thus eliminates condensation from the quick temperature changes when descending to land as well as the potential for water vapor to freeze in the tires when climbing to high altitudes.

All that said, I was just making a silly reference that I was turning my motorcycle into an airplane (...landing on a cloud...) and the nitrogen would therefore be necessary.
Shocked

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #8 - 09/22/12 at 21:41:29

All Army aircraft use only pure nitrogen in their tires, and I'm fairly certain it's a standard across aviation.  They undergo a lot of friction and heat when coming in for a roll-on, so it would be necessary to reduce expansion.  Not so sure we would really benefit from it, though.

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #9 - 09/22/12 at 23:07:45

I'm pretty sure that has to do with the temperature being -30 at cruising altitude and not because of the heat generated during a landing.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #10 - 09/23/12 at 17:40:14

They should use hydrogen in aircraft tires.  Free lift,.. no drag,.. no oxygen to corrode anything.  Just don't get them near a spark.

My car has nitrogen-filled tires.  I have to put in a little bit every few months.  My ex-girlfriend's car just has plain old tires on cast aluminum wheels.  Three out of four of them go for a year or two without changing pressure.  The fourth needs to be topped off every month or so.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 09/23/12 at 18:11:34

Pretty sure those are nitrogen filled... Huh...

HondaLavis wrote on 09/22/12 at 21:41:29:

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #12 - 09/24/12 at 15:28:58

Yeah, I think the nitrogen is supposed to help prolong the life of the tire by not oxidizing the inside as well as not leaking through the pores of the rubber.  I tried it on several vehicles and found no difference in how often tires need to be slightly topped off.  So far as the oxidation goes, I'm pretty sure my tires get more weather and wear on the outside anyway and the inside is not going to be a problem.  I just use air.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Mikecool5
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 09/24/12 at 16:33:50

I used to work at a quick lube place that offered this and they were laughing all the way to the bank Wink

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #14 - 09/24/12 at 19:35:51

Cavi Mike wrote on 09/22/12 at 23:07:45:
I'm pretty sure that has to do with the temperature being -30 at cruising altitude and not because of the heat generated during a landing.

That might be the case with a passenger airliner, but helicopters don't go to nearly the same altitude.  Temperatures drop approximately 3.5 degrees Fahrenheit per 1000 ft.  The only time we'd see those temperatures is the dead of winter around 5,000+ ft - a rather uncommon altitude for us.  However, during a roll-on landing the brakes can get glowing red hot, easily heating up the surrounding area.

How do I know all of this?  My office is that window with the gun sticking out...   Cool

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 11:26:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Nitrogen anyone?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.