Linux Server (Read 28 times)
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Linux Server
09/22/12 at 05:28:10

Need to pick some of your Linux users brains.

I'm wanting to rid myself of Windows server 2008r2 as my primary home server.  I'm letting my Tech sub expire plus I'm just flat out getting tired of the instability of the winblows server period.  I have to reboot it on avg about once ever few weeks at least.   What version of *nix would ya'll recommend I replace my win2K8 server with.   I will need the following features,  PDC, File sharing and single sign on.  So I'm guessing I'll need some sort of Samba and LDAP combo of setup to do this.  Most of my clients are Win7 clients atm with a few Fedora and Debian based clients as well.  I also have a few media devices that will just need to access some shared folders for music and movie files,  these devices are items like blu-ray players, xbox, and Dish Network Hopper system.   Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

Also a good write up on the setup for the Samba and LDAP configs would be great as I haven't dealt with the combo of those before, just a limited Samba share setup long ago.

Most of my *nix experience has been with remote dedicated servers for web use and also development and desktop type use boxes here at the house.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
misterbbq

Acworth, GA
Re: Linux Server
Reply #1 - 09/22/12 at 06:56:45

i run redhat servers at my office for websites and one as a storage unit.  i've not used linux as a pdc as we decentralized many years ago due to ddns conflicts with the corporate servers and the 'globalization' of our workforce (nice way to say outsourcing).

in any case, i'd look into something along the lines of openldap:

http://www.openldap.org/

i've always liked centos for it's 'redhatlikeness' and cost FREE.  some combo of samba and openldap might get you where you want to be.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 04:15:50

General CategoryThe Cafe › Linux Server

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.