Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Savage not responding to throttle (Read 73 times)
l33tl4m3r
YaBB Newbies

A Frakkin Toaster

Albuquerque, NM
Savage not responding to throttle
09/21/12 at 13:41:52

Hey folks, the bike's been running great since the clutch issue got sorted out, but...

I've recently had a symptom arise that I am unsure of where to start looking.

I'll describe it as best as I can...

This happens in all gears, at all speeds, and comes an goes with no apparent cause.

I'll pull back on the throttle and the engine does not respond. The RPMs do not go up and the bike does not go any faster.

As I said, it comes and goes, sometimes it'll be fine for the first few twists of the throttle through gears and then in another gear, whether I upshifted or downshifted, when I twist the throttle again, I get no response.

The bike never dies and it idles fine, in fact, it almost seems to be at idle speeds when not responding.

I can twist the throttle back, let it off and slowly twist it on and sometimes it'll come back to responding, sometimes not.

The throttle cable is moving and everything appears to be working fine on the outside of the carb.

Any help would be appreciated as I am currently baffled by this issue.

Any questions or needed clarification, let me know!

“History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce.” --Karl Marx
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Re: Savage not responding to throttle
Reply #1 - 09/21/12 at 13:48:59

If it's not sputtering when this happens my best guess is that your throttle sleeve is not raising when you twist the throttle open.  This would suggest to me that it is either a vacuum issue, diaphragm issue or the throttle sleeve is sticking at times.   I would pull the air filter connection tube off and try moving the sleeve with a small screw driver to see if it's moving freely as a test first.  Other wise take the carb off and do a thorough cleaning and check of the throttle sleeve and diaphragm.  Clean all the passages going into the diaphragm area to make sure it's getting a clean vacuum signal as well.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
l33tl4m3r
YaBB Newbies

A Frakkin Toaster

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #2 - 09/21/12 at 13:54:47

rfw2003 wrote on 09/21/12 at 13:48:59:
If it's not sputtering when this happens my best guess is that your throttle sleeve is not raising when you twist the throttle open.  This would suggest to me that it is either a vacuum issue, diaphragm issue or the throttle sleeve is sticking at times.   I would pull the air filter connection tube off and try moving the sleeve with a small screw driver to see if it's moving freely as a test first.  Other wise take the carb off and do a thorough cleaning and check of the throttle sleeve and diaphragm.  Clean all the passages going into the diaphragm area to make sure it's getting a clean vacuum signal as well.

Additional: I have checked a few times to make sure the throttle cable is working at the carb, and it is moving the throttle lever.

I did pull the whole throttle sleeve and grips off and lubed the crap out of them. You do mean throttle sleeve on the handlebar, or am I thinking of the wrong thing?

Thanks again!

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #3 - 09/21/12 at 14:08:28

Sorry  meant to call it the throttle slide not sleeve in the carb itself.  The round part that moves up and down.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
l33tl4m3r
YaBB Newbies

A Frakkin Toaster

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #4 - 09/21/12 at 14:12:46

rfw2003 wrote on 09/21/12 at 14:08:28:
Sorry  meant to call it the throttle slide not sleeve in the carb itself.  The round part that moves up and down.

Roger that, I'll check it tonight and let you know!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 09/21/12 at 14:21:51

Does it sometime take off on you?  ie, you twist grip, nothing happens, then OMG it does?

The slide is sticking in the carb as it's vacuum controls and doesn't move with the grip.

Try a ounce per gal of seafoam or carb/injector cleaner or get out the wrenches and clean the carb.

WWW   IP Logged
l33tl4m3r
YaBB Newbies

A Frakkin Toaster

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #6 - 09/21/12 at 14:31:07

verslagen1 wrote on 09/21/12 at 14:21:51:
Does it sometime take off on you?  ie, you twist grip, nothing happens, then OMG it does?

The slide is sticking in the carb as it's vacuum controls and doesn't move with the grip.

Try a ounce per gal of seafoam or carb/injector cleaner or get out the wrenches and clean the carb.

Yeah, that certainly does happen on occasion, no response then suddenly it opens up.

I added a bit of seafoam already but It was only 1oz to my 2 gallons. I'll add another oz. and if that doesn't help, I'll have to open her up!

Thanks again, folks, I will let you know my results!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 22:20:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage not responding to throttle

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.