Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Think I'm Going To Rotella T6 (Read 510 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Think I'm Going To Rotella T6
Reply #30 - 09/22/12 at 08:10:46

At rest (not pulling on clutch) with the lever held upwards by say a light rubber band pressure (just to take the slack out of the eccentric system) the chrome lever should be in between the marks on the case.  

That's all, just in between the  marks.   Your pushrods and how you change them control "the ballpark" and you should be somewhere in the ballpark.

When you find you are out of the ballpark, change your pushrod to a longer one.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #31 - 09/22/12 at 10:14:18

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 09/22/12 at 08:10:46:
At rest (not pulling on clutch) with the lever held upwards by say a light rubber band pressure (just to take the slack out of the eccentric system) the chrome lever should be in between the marks on the case.  

That's all, just in between the  marks.   Your pushrods and how you change them control "the ballpark" and you should be somewhere in the ballpark.

When you find you are out of the ballpark, change your pushrod to a longer one.

Oldfeller,
same question...and based on the picture I posted on page 1 of my lever and the marks, I read this and think my lever is sorta resting on the high side. Note the top image is at rest, but s noted, is with light pressure to take out the slack.

Overall it shifts fine and I don't feel any slippage or anything or hear anything to indicate it is not right, but just overly cautious because I don't want to have something rubbing and potentially setting me up for an issue. I had it services at 600 miles and the tech said he adjusted the handle for free play and didn't indicate anything was out of whack.

Would it be making any noises or providing any physical characteristics that I could pick up on if it were not adjusted properly?  Note: I have never been inside the tranny and don't intend to unless it is mission critical.

Thanks!

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #32 - 09/22/12 at 12:38:05

When you hit the top mark and drop in the next longest rod into the clutch throw out assembly, why by golly you wind up right at the bottom mark -- then you begin the slow progress up slowly to the top mark and you go and do it again.

In other words, worry about it when you get there -- you will also recognize it because you are completely out of adjustment range on both the handle bars and on the long screw shank on the clutch cable.

Until then, don't worry about it.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #33 - 09/22/12 at 16:15:10

misterbbq wrote on 09/22/12 at 07:00:39:
side note....you heat the bike up, drain the fluid...

I've yet to see anyone prove why changing a multi-grade oil when the engine is hot is better than when cold - or even a single grade.

Multi-grade oils thin out as they cool off so they flow better during cold starts - less wear on the top of the engine. Also, the oil has fully drained from the top of the motor while it was cooling off, ensuring you don't contaminate your fresh oil with the crap that's been suspended in the new oil.

I always drain mine cold.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #34 - 09/22/12 at 17:44:22

I've done it both ways, but seem to stay with a warm engine drain whenever it is available.   Don't like hot, get burned too much getting that long arsed oil plug out of there -- warm is good enough for this old boy.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
SaVaGeEaRL

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Georgetown, KY
Reply #35 - 09/22/12 at 19:10:15

I change mine cold. It's thinner when it's cold.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #36 - 09/22/12 at 20:13:57

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 09/22/12 at 12:38:05:

When you hit the top mark and drop in the next longest rod into the clutch throw out assembly, why by golly you wind up right at the bottom mark -- then you begin the slow progress up slowly to the top mark and you go and do it again.

In other words, worry about it when you get there -- you will also recognize it because you are completely out of adjustment range on both the handle bars and on the long screw shank on the clutch cable.

Until then, don't worry about it.

Thanks.  Sounds like I am safe for a while considering I am just over 1000 miles  Huh

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #37 - 09/23/12 at 00:55:48

SaVaGeEaRL wrote on 09/22/12 at 19:10:15:
I change mine cold. It's thinner when it's cold.

No it isn't.   Those numbers in the oil weight, like 10w40 are defined by the SAE tests on how the oil pours at low and high temperatures.  

Translated, they say the oil does pour quicker hot than cold.

I have done the freezer test on T-6 and while it doesn't change nearly as much as old dino oils did, but it is a little bit thicker pouring at -10 degrees F than it is at room temperature.  The temp/viscosity change is there for full synthetic T-6, just not nearly as much as the old dino 10w40 oils used to have.

Do it yourself if you want to .... we all got us a freezer at home and we can time how long it takes to pour out a fixed amount like a test tube full.

Now, at room temperature vs engine warm, the drain rate difference is still there, but not nearly as pronounced.

And yes, you can drain your oil successfully at room temperature.  The few extra seconds it takes to drain isn't so much time as to be all that noticeable.  Your drip time to zero drops will be greater though.

I think the old saw about "drain your oil hot" came from dino oils back in the age of sludge, when you wanted to melt as much of the sludge as much as you could so more of it could get out of the little drain hole and into the drain pan.

Modern oils don't form sludge (at least my T-6 has never formed any).

============

Here is some visual data on oil thickening at lower temperatures and room temperature.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #38 - 09/23/12 at 01:25:15

Great video, definitely clears up some conflicting stuff I've read. I'll change my method from cold to 1hr after shutdown. I still want as much of that oil to drain from the top of the motor as possible.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #39 - 09/23/12 at 05:54:41

One other point is that when the oil sits for a while any particulate matter suspended in it settles out. A cold engine will have had time for any particles of metal, soot, or silica (sand) to settle to the bottom of the sump, where it might remain when the cold oil is drained. If the engine has been recently run, the oil has been "stirred up" and most of the particulates will not have had time to settle out. True, the filter is supposed to catch this stuff, and the oil additive package is supposed to keep particles in suspension, but neither is always 100% effective.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #40 - 09/24/12 at 04:57:39

My own technique is to let a hot motor sit for about half an hour, so the oil cools down to where it won't scald my fingers if I get "oiled" while taking the drain plug out.

Then I go do something else for an hour or two, to let the rate of oil drainage reduce to zero,... no drops.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 21:30:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Think I'm Going To Rotella T6

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.