Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Think I'm Going To Rotella T6 (Read 510 times)
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Think I'm Going To Rotella T6
09/21/12 at 09:57:33

NO OIL WARS PLEASE....JUST MAKING CONVERSATION

I have been reading up on the T6 and think I am 99% sold.  I have a 2008 with ~1100 miles and don't have any problems with it, but when I read what positive running and shifting results some have experienced I keep asking myself why not?

So, I ask you experienced folks the same question.  I know, if it ain't broke don't fix it, but if it will run and shift a little smoother and (as some speculate) slightly increase performance and gas mileage, WHY NOT?

Thanks for your thoughts, and PLEASE be good boys and girls and don't fight.

Wink

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Think I'm Going To Rotella T6
Reply #1 - 09/21/12 at 10:00:50

Yarp!... Synth oil, like T6 will have those benefits... Wink...
... and yer' engine will run a little cooler...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 09/21/12 at 10:06:08

T-6 gives you confidence that nothing you can do to the bike (including stupid stuff) can cause it to overheat enough to hurt the oil or the engine.

It also gives you confidence that the T-6 is good for twice the drain interval that you use (and yep, that includes me and my once a year oil changes).

Other folks can chime on on the better shifting stuff, my bike has shifted good for so long I can't even remember when it was new and cobby.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #3 - 09/21/12 at 10:17:21

Thanks folks! So far that's two for two. Unless Mr. Suzuki himself logs in and says "no" I think I am going ahead to wally world after work and fill up my saddle bag with a gallon.
Cheesy

Should I change and cycle the T6 in the bike for ~10 minutes or so and then do another full change to make sure and flush out all of the current dino oil, or just do a normal change after warming the bike and once is good enough?

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
mojohand40

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 09/21/12 at 10:18:28

I've changed my oil and filter 3 times in the last two or so months. (First time, cause it needed it, second time replacing cam chain tension-er and and third time because I was trying to fix leaky clutch cover gasket from the previous time).
The first two times, I used t6 and noticed a great improvement in shifting etc, but like I said the old oil was from the PO and looked old.
The third time I used Rotella T15w40, cause'....why not? Non-synthetic..a little cheaper. So far so good. I was STUCK in some MAJOR traffic yesterday, and the bikes stayed cool, no problems.  
Last weekend I put t6 in my wifes V-Star 650, which always seems to run a little hot to me...and I noticed a little better shifting from it, and maybe a little cooler...but maybe it's all in my head.
Regardless, it seems better and cheaper then what the dealers sell. (Yamaha or Suzuki  branded oil). AND easier to get...what's with these bike shops with bankers hours? Do any of 'em work a 40 hr week?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 09/21/12 at 10:26:09

stewmills wrote on 09/21/12 at 10:17:21:
Thanks folks! So far that's two for two. Unless Mr. Suzuki himself logs in and says "no" I think I am going ahead to wally world after work and fill up my saddle bag with a gallon.
Cheesy

Should I change and cycle the T6 in the bike for ~10 minutes or so and then do another full change to make sure and flush out all of the current dino oil, or just do a normal change after warming the bike and once is good enough?

No, just tilt the bike from side to side to encourage most of the old oil to come out.

When changing over, you really don't get all of the old oil out -- your clutch pack is soaked with it, your cam pool is filled with it and your oil filter housing and all the oil passages are filled with it.

Just change your oil on the normal frequency.  

You can expect a minor clutch adjustment any time you change oil (the clutch's function depends on oil film between the plates, so to have it shift a tad when changing over oils is perfectly normal).

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #6 - 09/21/12 at 10:30:56

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 09/21/12 at 10:26:09:
You can expect a minor clutch adjustment any time you change oil (the clutch's function depends on oil film between the plates, so to have it shift a tad when changing over oils is perfectly normal).

Will I need to adjust it at the clutch lever or down below where the lever comes from the case?

Here is what mine looks like at resting and with the lever engaged. What direction should I anticipate making adjustments where I will not royally screw something up and ruin my tranny?

clutch_001.jpg

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 09/21/12 at 10:38:27

The adjustment marks you took pics of are only used when changing out the pushrods in the clutch.

The adjustment I am talking about is the very minor one that lives up on the handle bars.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #8 - 09/21/12 at 10:57:16

stew,
By changing to T-6 and telling us about it, you may also hear a change in the sound of the exhaust. It may take on a definite, bill, bill, bill, bill, bill, bill, bill, bill, bill, bill, bill, bill, bill, bill, bill, bill, bill, bill, bill, bill, bill, bill, bill, bill, kind of sound. You will get used to it. Cool

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 09/21/12 at 11:03:16

We got us a new kind of muffler for that issue ....  stops all them oil wars, too.

makes sorta a blap blap blap blap blap blap blap blap blap blap blap blap sound.

« Last Edit: 09/21/12 at 14:40:55 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #10 - 09/21/12 at 14:41:55

Yeah, kinder and gentler .....

kinder and gentler

kinder and gentler

Cheesy

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #11 - 09/21/12 at 15:52:50

Blinky-FSO wrote on 09/21/12 at 10:57:16:
stew,
By changing to T-6 and telling us about it, you may also hear a change in the sound of the exhaust. It may take on a definite, bill, bill, bill, bill, bill, bill, bill, bill, bill, bill, bill, bill, bill, bill, bill, bill, bill, bill, bill, bill, bill, bill, bill, bill, kind of sound. You will get used to it. Cool

Why do you say? For $21 at wally world it's worth it to me if that's what you mean... the higher price of the oil.  Are there other ancillary things I will experience that cost other than the cost of the oil? I would think the opposite if it supposedly helps it run smoother and maybe slightly more efficient?

Sorry if I didn't completely get a joke in there...it's been a long week...

Cheesy

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #12 - 09/21/12 at 16:07:49

It's an old private joke, we have a guy named Bill that likes to mess about with the new people and give them odd advice and agitate oil wars, etc.

We tried to get him to stop, but he wouldn't ....

Now we play whack a kitty with him when he shows up in RSD.

(why? because we are kinder and gentler, kinder and gentler, kinder and gentler -- we used to do like like the guy below, but we are all  kinder and gentler now)

So, now you don't know much more than you did before, except you know if somebody named Bill starts offering you advice on oil or seafoam or Klotz, then you know to dodge quick because the big soft hammer is coming.

« Last Edit: 09/21/12 at 17:36:47 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #13 - 09/21/12 at 16:26:18

Stew,
My apology. I did not mean to indicate I have an issue with your choice in oil. I consider a persons choice of oil to be guaranteed by the Bill of Rights and as as sacred as their choice of a religion, a political party, and Coke or Pepsi (or Dr. Pepper in my case). If it helps, I just finished a 1,968 mile trip at mainly highway speeds with a sump full of T-6. The bike did well and consumed just over a quart.

Good hunting

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #14 - 09/21/12 at 16:39:53

Blinky-FSO wrote on 09/21/12 at 16:26:18:
If it helps, I just finished a 1,968 mile trip at mainly highway speeds with a sump full of T-6. The bike did well and consumed just over a quart.

Good hunting

DANG....with gas mileage like that I think I'll put on riding speedos (fishnet only on the warm daze) and change to this wally world miracle juice and ride me bike with bout as close to perpetual motion one can get, yes?

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 19:27:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Think I'm Going To Rotella T6

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.