Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Horn - Low Voltage - Doesn't Work (Read 83 times)
frizat
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Horn - Low Voltage - Doesn't Work
09/20/12 at 13:47:02

I'm working on a LS650 2003.

So I've got a strange problem here.  My horn is not working at all.  I checked the fuses and they were all good.  I then hooked up a Multimeter to the horn connection (the two boots) and hit my horn switch and I'm only registering .03 - .06 Volts (DCV).  

This leads me to believe that the lack of power getting to the Horn is why I'm not able to get any sound from the sucker.  My question is what's my best bet for getting this horn up and running?  Could it be a bad wire in my wiring harness?  Is that something I can just replace what's broken or a new wiring harness?

Any help or suggestion is greatly appreciated!  Be nice to finally get this horn up and honking!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Horn - Low Voltage - Doesn't Work
Reply #1 - 09/20/12 at 14:58:49

I think maybe the switch is dirty...  see if you can spray some cleaner in there...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #2 - 09/20/12 at 15:42:51

From looking at the wiring diagram, the horn is one of those goofy always hot circuits that get activated by grounding through the switch.

Measuring the voltage drop across the horn doesn't really say much.

Pull off both horn leads.  Turn on the key.  One of those leads should read 12 volts (between the lead and ground).  Turn the key off.  Measure resistance from the other lead to ground.  Should drop to near zero when you hit the button.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #3 - 09/20/12 at 16:24:18

It's rusted solid. The voltage reading you're getting is what's called the "voltage drop," that is not source/system voltage. You're reading the voltage drop across the electromagnet and if it's not 12v, it means the horn isn't dead, it's still working but frozen solid. You could probably soak it in WD-40 over night and it might loosen up.

IP Logged
frizat
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 09/21/12 at 11:41:04

Awesome, thanks for the replies guys. I'll try these out and let you know!

Thanks

IP Logged
mscepu101

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 09/21/12 at 14:26:23

My horn failed yesterday!

I was reading low voltage at the horn.  I took apart the electrical assembly on the handlebars, verified power to the switch and took the push button switch out. It was very easy.  Two small brass screws held the push button in place.  I cleaned out a large spider's nest, cleaned off some corrosion and elongated the spring.  Put it back together and it works great!

If I purchased the assembly from my local dealer I would have spent $195.00!

I hope it helps!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 20:21:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Horn - Low Voltage - Doesn't Work

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.