Send Topic Print
Choppin' the tank (Read 156 times)
elitemunkeycrew

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sierra Vista, Az
Choppin' the tank
09/20/12 at 10:36:05

Is it feasible to cut the lip off the tank where the speedometer sits then weld a piece of metal to close up the hole?  

I want to relocate my speedometer but I don't want the hole that's left afterwards. I just want a smooth tank. Any thoughts?

IP Logged
elitemunkeycrew

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sierra Vista, Az
Re: Choppin' the tank
Reply #1 - 09/20/12 at 10:51:54

I want to go from this:

with_hole_001.JPG
  IP Logged
elitemunkeycrew

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sierra Vista, Az
Reply #2 - 09/20/12 at 10:56:26

to this:

original photo is from rycamotors.com

without_hole.jpg
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 09/20/12 at 11:02:01

No easy or cheap way...  Welding and bondo...
Paying someone will cost more the the tank is worth...
... but,.. there's no alternate tank that an easy swap either...

Tough pickles... that is...
I'd swap to different tank...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 09/20/12 at 11:12:55

look for a new tank, save you a lot of grief

either a vn750 or a gs something

the vn has been installed before, looks like the savage tank w/out the hole, about 4.5 gal, has a fuel gage sender too.   Cool

WWW   IP Logged
elitemunkeycrew

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sierra Vista, Az
Reply #5 - 09/20/12 at 12:01:24

verslagen1 wrote on 09/20/12 at 11:12:55:
look for a new tank, save you a lot of grief

either a vn750 or a gs something

the vn has been installed before, looks like the savage tank w/out the hole, about 4.5 gal, has a fuel gage sender too.   Cool

So a Kawasaki VN750 tank or a Suzuki GS450 tank will fit?

I looked on ebay at the GS450 tanks and it looks as thought it has the same tabs on the front of the tanks as the savage tank. Are they a direct fit?

IP Logged
misterbbq

Acworth, GA
Reply #6 - 09/20/12 at 13:28:30

from another thread by seviersavage:

Here is a quicky side pic. My observations so far are:

1 it's a doable mod but takes several steps to complete, and yes you will have to cut off the original mounting studs for stock tank. Thats the point of no return.

2 I wanted to mount speedo and fuel gauge in chrome housings and thats where a lot of time was spent. As for the tank youll need to fabricate mounting brackets on the frame of the bike. You could drill thru the frame and use all thread but bushings and bolts to hold the tank have to be figured out.

3  It's a shoehorn operation with the sporty seat, gets a little cramped
but I still have some adjustment left to play with on the rear mount so I might find a smidgen of room yet.

4 on a scale of 1 to 10 this mod rates an 7 just because you'll need  to make parts and weld brackets if possible.

---------------------

I opted not to weld on the frame. Not for any other reason than I wanted to be sure about the placement of my mounting brackets, I was afraid I might be wrong and have to gring off and restart.
I chose to weld up a bracket that I could then mount to the bike frame using a bolt and chrome acorn nut. The savage frame is less than two inches thick where the tank mounts and the tabs on the vulcan tank are about 8 inches apart. There is a lot of room for error there.
And yes I had to get a longer speedo cable, from another bike, It is however a direct and perfect fit. Also I had to extend the wiring harness by about 4 inches for the speedo.

----------------------------

One last thought on this mod. I didn't take into account that the petcock position on the 750 tank is different. My petcock ended up resting solidly against the chrome cover. On close inspection the rubber fuel line is not touching but the body of the petcock is. At worse it could cause problems? from heat, or constant rubbing putting a hole in the petcock. At least it's going to leave a mark on the cover.
Hasn't been a problem so far and the covers never get real hot, I can still touch them after a ride so I'm just living with it for now.
Seviersavage

there were pics but they're all dead now.

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 09/20/12 at 14:32:44

Someone here did exactly what you are describing; cut out the well that holds the speedo and welded it up, and then he sold the tank.

I think I remember seeing it posted in the marketplace; search there, that may be helpful?

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #8 - 09/20/12 at 15:24:02

I remember seeing the pics of the VN750 tank and it looks like it was meant to be on the bike. I try to keep an eye out for one to try one day, but haven't been fortunate yet.

Seviersavage, do you still have pics of that green bike? or was it someone else?

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #9 - 09/20/12 at 16:37:44

elitemunkeycrew wrote on 09/20/12 at 12:01:24:
I looked on ebay at the GS450 tanks and it looks as thought it has the same tabs on the front of the tanks as the savage tank. Are they a direct fit?

The GS450 tank doesn't bolt on and it doesn't fit the posts in the front either. The bottom of the tank fits the frame perfectly but it still requires cutting the old posts off the frame and rewelding them about 5" forward. The rear of the tank could probably be bolted on using some type of custom fabricated adapter but there won't be any room for the saddle. The rear mount needs to be cut off and a new mount welded to the bottom.

I know this because the GS450 tank is what I put on mine.

Front mount:
http://cavimike.com/savagetank06.JPG

Rear mount:
http://cavimike.com/savagetank07.JPG

Thread:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1343961685/21#21

IP Logged
elitemunkeycrew

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sierra Vista, Az
Reply #10 - 09/21/12 at 08:25:05

Smiley Smiley Smiley
Thanks to everyone for the advice. I wish more people rode savages so they could get to hang out on this forum and get advice from some solid people.  Cool Cool

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 00:29:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Choppin' the tank

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.