Send Topic Print
cam chain drive gear (Read 167 times)
LouSiana

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hannover, Germany
Re: cam chain drive gear
Reply #15 - 09/21/12 at 07:30:56

If the cam chain jumps over one position, nothing dramatic happens, except "dramatic" losses of hp. Only if the cam chain leaps second time, then you get "oh, drama" with valves and piston.

I only know of broken cam chain drive sprocket from overtorqueing or abuse of impact wrenches by reinstallation of the primary drive.
But, since that sprocket is hardened, it is possibly thrown on the floor accidentally and therefore it got a shot. Torqueing down then may gave him the lethal hit.

Since I own an electric impact wrench, I only use it to loosen those nuts and bolts, never ever to torque them. I do not trust its display.

IP Logged
lordfog
YaBB Newbies

onward thru the fog

third coast texas
Re: cam chain drive gear
Reply #16 - 09/21/12 at 11:15:31

Cool We drove 300 miles to purchase the "96" savage the PO was asking $900 & settled for $600 a hard negotiation... so I didn't have the heart to be too pushy on grilling him on the history... so the broken parts will remain a mystery...And the reason I posted the link was the pic of the brocken cam drive gear... look at two of the smaller pieces... as an example of what I found when removing clutch cover.
A short version of story: title was not in his name yet, scoot was rough sun damage, oxydation, rotten bald tires, missing pass seat, beat up fuel tank, would not start although it would crank etc. etc.  :'(  
If it did indeed have a cam chain failure it may be the winner of the lowest millage failure w/4555K on the ODO.
Poor scooter had original rear bald tire with much cosmetic dammage else-wear I think lots & lots of people had the chance for first rides & learning experiences at her expense, SHE AIN'T PRETTY BUT SHE SHURE WAS UGLY Lips Sealed
She's looking better now and is being nursed back from the edge of the bone yard.

Thank you all for your valuable INPUT!!!  

PS I was also in a big hurry & bizzy when purchasing because I chose to transport her in the boot of an HHR  Shocked
And yes...   Grin remove tires & handle bar and We shoe-horned her in the rear of the HHR!  

foggy

thump thump = music
RIDE TO LIVE
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 20:18:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › cam chain drive gear

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!