Send Topic Print
Headlight issue (Read 125 times)
tritch
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Headlight issue
09/18/12 at 22:11:16

Hello all, just bought my 1986 Savage and I love it, it's a great starter bike. Right now I'm just running through basic maintenance like oil changes and such...However there is one thing that has been a little weird that I haven't been able to figure out. The headlight only runs on high beam, it simply won't turn on with the low beam setting. I'm thinking it's a fuse issue, possibly blown? Any ideas? Thanks in advance!  Smiley

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Re: Headlight issue
Reply #1 - 09/18/12 at 22:20:40

Have you used a test light or VOM to check and see if you getting voltage one of the wires of the headlight plug when it's on low beam?  The same fuse that supplies the hi beam also supplies the low beam.  So your most likely issue is either bad bulb or switch/wire issue.

Another place to check is the connector between the headlight plug and the wire harness in the headlight bucket.  Could be a loose or dirty.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 09/18/12 at 22:20:53

Id bet its the low beam element burned out.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #3 - 09/18/12 at 22:23:52

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/18/12 at 22:20:53:
Id bet its the low beam element burned out.

That's my guess as well,  but it doesn't hurt to check electrical issue while it's apart with the price of H4 bulbs lately.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 09/18/12 at 22:35:52

Test the bulb with an ohm meter

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #5 - 09/19/12 at 06:06:51

Install an HID system.  It's a relatively cheap deal ($50 to $70-ish), and you end up with way more light, more reliable light, and less strain on your alternator.  The motorcycle kits install in maybe an hour.  Your issue about the absent low beam would be a non-issue.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #6 - 09/19/12 at 07:52:27

Gyrobob wrote on 09/19/12 at 06:06:51:
Install an HID system.  It's a relatively cheap deal ($50 to $70-ish), and you end up with way more light, more reliable light, and less strain on your alternator.  The motorcycle kits install in maybe an hour.  Your issue about the absent low beam would be a non-issue.

Can you post a link to a good HID replacement? Are we just talking about putting in a Sylvania 9007 bulb.. or something else?

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #7 - 09/19/12 at 09:23:32

Pine wrote on 09/19/12 at 07:52:27:
Gyrobob wrote on 09/19/12 at 06:06:51:

Can you post a link to a good HID replacement? Are we just talking about putting in a Sylvania 9007 bulb.. or something else?

here is one of many links:  http://www.motorcyclehidxenonlights.com/

It is more than a bulb replacement.  YOu do replace the bulb, which is nothing more than pulling out the H4 and sticking in the HID bulb.  The wiring is "plug and play" as well.  The only one-time additional thing you have to do is mount the ballast (and sometimes a small relay) within a foot or two of the headlight.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
tritch
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 09/19/12 at 21:25:58

Thank you all for the help. I was considering an HID system, thank you for the link. I will keep you all posted.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #9 - 09/21/12 at 20:33:27

Gyrobob wrote on 09/19/12 at 09:23:32:
here is one of many links:  http://www.motorcyclehidxenonlights.com/

Gyrobob, what flavor (strength) bulb is most appropriate for these bikes for visibility, not looks? Their website says the 6000K is the most popular and appears to provide the best "white" light for best visibility versus the fancy blue ones?

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #10 - 09/21/12 at 20:43:45

Myself I use the 6000K temp bulb.   It provides great light and doesn't give off that annoying blue tint that I hate when I meet other drivers on the road that have the higher temp bulbs.

R.F.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #11 - 09/21/12 at 20:49:17

rfw2003 wrote on 09/21/12 at 20:43:45:
Myself I use the 6000K temp bulb.   It provides great light and doesn't give off that annoying blue tint that I hate when I meet other drivers on the road that have the higher temp bulbs.

R.F.

Thanks. Been eyeballing the headlight upgrade to do as soon as I can sneak another shipment into the house.
Smiley

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 22:22:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Headlight issue

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.