Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
More electrical system power (Read 207 times)
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
More electrical system power
09/18/12 at 19:21:17

Are there any proven "techniques" for increasing LS650 alternator power?

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
clearush

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deer Park,TX
Re: More electrical system power
Reply #1 - 09/18/12 at 19:27:26

swap it out  Cheesy

but really I don't know  Embarrassed

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #2 - 09/18/12 at 19:53:49

Stronger magnets, tighter windings, same with any electrical motor or generator. Or, use less power on everything else. Use an HID for the headlamp and use LED's for everything else.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 09/19/12 at 04:46:22

I found this upgrade for the DR650......it would be great if the part would work in our bikes as well.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/suzuki-dr650/250-watt-stator/

I checked the parts list for a 2007 DR650 and LS650 and the part numbers for the rotor and stator are different......but that doesn't prove that the parts are not interchangeable.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #4 - 09/19/12 at 05:19:14

Dave wrote on 09/19/12 at 04:46:22:
I found this upgrade for the DR650......it would be great if the part would work in our bikes as well.

The Pro Cycle stator definitely has more windings but look how loose and sloppy they are. I'd rather just rewind my own.

Pro Cycle on left, stock on right.

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #5 - 09/19/12 at 05:45:18

I think I know why the DR and the LS have different part numbers - The DR has the ignition charge winding in the stator because they're kick-start and don't require a battery. The LS ignition runs off the battery. You could prolly run the DR stator in the LS but not vice-versa.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #6 - 09/19/12 at 06:03:05

Cavi Mike wrote on 09/19/12 at 05:19:14:
Dave wrote on 09/19/12 at 04:46:22:

The Pro Cycle stator definitely has more windings but look how loose and sloppy they are. I'd rather just rewind my own.

Pro Cycle on left, stock on right.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/suzuki-dr650/250-watt-stator/stock-stator-vs-250w...

If I could find a well-written set of instructions on how to rewind my own, I would do that in a heartbeat.  I love that kind of stuff, but I have no experience with that particular mod.  

I'm wondering if there might be another Suzuki stator for a larger bike that would fit.  Probably not, because no one has mentioned it,.. but jeeweez,.. there are probably 7,000 different types of Suzuki brand stators in this world.  There also might be a stator from another brand that might work,... that'd be another 50,000 options,.. but how could anyone ever do that kind of research?

It looks like as of now, the best ploy is to do what Cavi Mike said,... just get as efficient as possible with how the limited electrical power is used,... HID headlight, LED all else.  

I want to keep riding this thing thru the winter here in ATL.  I want to be able to use heated hand grips and a heated jacket.

Here's another thought,.... during the day, don't use the headlight.  Instead use an LED running light that would probably only need 10 watts for a really bright one.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 09/19/12 at 06:44:05

Here is an article that explains how to rewind your stator......but it is written for the DR650 and not clear if this is an upgrade or just a rebuild.  Does more windings mean more amperage....or more voltage......or both?  For every 10% increase in windings do you get more voltage....or more amps?  At some point you will run out of room to wind unless you use smaller wire......then you run the risk of having wire that is too small.

http://www.thegsresources.com/garage/gs_statorrewind.htm

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #8 - 09/19/12 at 07:47:09

accel has an increased power stator  $145
me thinks a new regulator/rectifier should be installed at the same time
$113

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
LouSiana

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hannover, Germany
Reply #9 - 09/19/12 at 12:13:27

Dave wrote on 09/19/12 at 06:44:05:
... Does more windings mean more amperage....or more voltage......or both?  For every 10% increase in windings do you get more voltage....or more amps?  At some point you will run out of room to wind unless you use smaller wire......then you run the risk of having wire that is too small. ..

More windings say more voltage. Thicker wire means more amperage.
I just inspected a destroyed stator and made following measurements.
The stator is wound with 1mm enamelled copper wire, this equals AWG 18 quite good (=1.0236mm) and each of the "teeth" has 45 windings.

Assuming you want more electrical power for additional load (heated grips and jacket) you best should go both ways: Thicker wire and some more windings. As much as you can get on.

But the space for the windings is very limited. AWG 17 may work but then it will be an artwork to get on 45 windings on all of the "teeth". Each layer will then carry only 11 windings instead of 13 as before.
Even with the economiest and perfect rewinding work (which is not easy and means some good training in that matter) you will fill a bit more than four layers (before: 3 1/2 layers) and each layer is thicker. I assume, there's very little or at least no space for more windings then.

Taking the same wire (AWG18) and putting on more windings may work, but the effort could be only marginal because you do two things at one time: Adding more ohmic losses (longer wire) and adding some tenth of a Volt under load. Considering all effects, that could be the way one should try

The stator is wound in "Y" pattern, so a change to a "Delta" pattern does not make sense at all, because you would need much more rpm to get the same voltage. Remember old techniques for three-phase electric motors. They sometimes have  a switch to start with "Y"-pattern (low rpm, more thrust) and then to switch to "Delta" for high rpm in use.

Another way (very theoretical!) could be the permanent magnets in the rotor. There are only 12 and they do not have much power.
Changing that system to 24 magnets N52 and make the gap between stator and rotor as small as possible. But... no chance without further research and a garage full of finest machinery.

My opinion on that subject at all: Save your electric power as much as you can (led's instead of bulbs) and savingful use of heated gear...

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 09/19/12 at 14:08:30

LouSiana wrote on 09/19/12 at 12:13:27:
Dave wrote on 09/19/12 at 06:44:05:
... Does more windings mean more amperage....or more voltage......or both?  For every 10% increase in windings do you get more voltage....or more amps?  At some point you will run out of room to wind unless you use smaller wire......then you run the risk of having wire that is too small. ..

My opinion on that subject at all: Save your electric power as much as you can (led's instead of bulbs) and savingful use of heated gear...

So....you need heated gear run by a propeller driven dynamo mounted on top of your helmet!

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #11 - 09/20/12 at 04:23:22

Quote:
So....you need heated gear run by a propeller driven dynamo mounted on top of your helmet!  

BRILLIANT!!!!!    Cheesy

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #12 - 09/20/12 at 08:56:01

thumperclone wrote on 09/19/12 at 07:47:09:
$113

They are discontinued, according to Accel, and were OEM spec anyway.
Why not carry an extra battery just for the extra stuff, and charge it up separately?

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #13 - 09/20/12 at 09:23:33

arteacher wrote on 09/20/12 at 08:56:01:
thumperclone wrote on 09/19/12 at 07:47:09:
$113

They are discontinued, according to Accel, and were OEM spec anyway.
Why not carry an extra battery just for the extra stuff, and charge it up separately?

No thanks.  There's not enough room on this bike as it is without loading on more heavy bulky stuff.

I think I'll concentrate on using the least amount of power possible for each function:
-- HID headlight  (35 watts instead of 60 or so for the stock H4)
-- LED running light (maybe 5 or 10 watts) instead of the headlight during the day
-- LED everything else
-- Keep the vest and handgrips on low settings mostly.

IP Logged
DaveLKN
YaBB Newbies

Lake Norman NC
Reply #14 - 09/20/12 at 20:51:34

My opinion on that subject at all: Save your electric power as much as you can (led's instead of bulbs) and savingful use of heated gear... [/quote]

So....you need heated gear run by a propeller driven dynamo mounted on top of your helmet!   [/quote]
Just mount this below the headlamp bucket:

http://www.ntin.net/jhardy/GenniPod.html

Wink

1998 Savage LS650
1998 Marauder VZ800
member- Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com