New Savage Owner (Read 126 times)
seacayare
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sterling, VA, USA
New Savage Owner
09/18/12 at 12:51:21

Didn't get quite the deal that gdrseeker got.  Found my '86 on Craigslist for $950 and took it home for $800.
The owner had a box of replacement parts worth around $200 (clutch plates, new gas cap, tool box frame/cover, air filter, etc.).
I've attached a pic of what it looked like AFTER a thorough cleaning.
I've changed the oil (Rotella T6), oil filter, and started to bob it.
I'll upload a pic of that soon.  I removed the pillon seat and sissy bar, removed the side chrome/sissy bar mounts, removed the belt cover, moved the brake light up to behind the seat, and fabricated a vertical license plate holder and mounted to the fender.  I also ordered some new rear signals.
ToDo: move the rectifier to the battery box, wrap the header pipe, replace the muffler (very rusted) and maybe chop the rear fender, and paint the tins (previous owner did a lowsy job of spray painting them).

my_savage.jpg
  IP Logged
seacayare
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sterling, VA, USA
Re: New Savage Owner
Reply #1 - 09/18/12 at 12:58:01

Oh, yeah... by next spring I'll need new tires (both have some small cracks) and a new belt.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #2 - 09/18/12 at 13:21:52

seacayare wrote on 09/18/12 at 12:58:01:
Oh, yeah... by next spring I'll need new tires (both have some small cracks) and a new belt.

If they have small cracks, replace them NOW!!!!!

or,..

Don't ride it until spring, after you replace the tires.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #3 - 09/18/12 at 13:41:27

Gyrobob wrote on 09/18/12 at 13:21:52:
seacayare wrote on 09/18/12 at 12:58:01:

If they have small cracks, replace them NOW!!!!!

or,..

Don't ride it until spring, after you replace the tires.

+1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tires are not something to mess around with on a MC,  if there is an issue with them fix it or don't ride, it just may save your life.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
seacayare
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sterling, VA, USA
Reply #4 - 09/18/12 at 20:54:02

It's a shame that the previous own let the bike sit outside uncared-for for over a year.  The tires are practically new as far as the tread is concerned.  I agree, though. It isn't worth my safety. I just ordered a couple of Pirelli's form Rocky Mountain ATV/MC.  Even though this is my winter project, I know I'll want to ride before spring.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #5 - 09/18/12 at 21:47:15

seacayare wrote on 09/18/12 at 20:54:02:
It's a shame that the previous own let the bike sit outside uncared-for for over a year.  The tires are practically new as far as the tread is concerned.  I agree, though. It isn't worth my safety. I just ordered a couple of Pirelli's form Rocky Mountain ATV/MC.  Even though this is my winter project, I know I'll want to ride before spring.

Excellent

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
seacayare
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sterling, VA, USA
Reply #6 - 09/20/12 at 11:09:55

Update:
Removed the passenger/pillon seat, sissy bar, and fender bracket. Replaced stock blinkers with mini stalks and relocated them to below the seat back. Moved the stock brake light farther up the fender.
Removed the chrome drive belt cover.

Ignore the electrical tape covering the holes in the fender.  Wink

savage20120920-1.JPG
  IP Logged
seacayare
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sterling, VA, USA
Reply #7 - 09/20/12 at 11:11:37

Update 2:
Fabricated a license plate holder out of a steel L-bracket and attached it to the right side of the fender using one of the existing holes (see pic).

savage20120920-2.JPG
  IP Logged
mojohand40

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 09/20/12 at 13:27:44

Congrats on the bike. I think those are the same lights I just put on mine and in the same spot.

I live in Northern, VA to, and must have missed the craigslist ad on that one, 800 bucks is a good deal. I like the license plate mount and rear light move.
 I live in Manassas and work in Herndon, so not far from you.  I commuted by bike this morning (a little chilly!). I ride to work whenever I can, but after the time change in the fall, I call it quits till spring (for commuting to work at least). The traffic around here is too much for riding home in the dark and cold with these insane cagers we got around here.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 22:23:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Savage Owner

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.