Send Topic Print
battery (Read 200 times)
residualsilver
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks! darn right!

battery
09/17/12 at 09:41:47

I got desperate last night and jumped my bike using a car.... got it home now it wont turn over....battery reads 10.3 is it fried? How are those mini batteries? how long do they last? is there anything extra i have to do to get them rigged in?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: battery
Reply #1 - 09/17/12 at 09:57:11

You gotta get a full charge on that thing. I know its a pain, but puling it to check the water makes it easy to take it & have it tested,Theyll charge it, hard & fast, maybe thats not good, IDK, Mite be a great day for buying a small charger,,not a float charger, a battery charger,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 09/17/12 at 11:24:22

Well the battery is certainly discharged.
whether it's fried or not can't be determine till after a good charge.
make sure it's filled with water and charge it overnight.
should be over 13v right after taking it off the charger.

WWW   IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #3 - 09/17/12 at 16:46:54

10.3 is critically low, a lead-acid battery typically won't recover from being discharged that far. Also, replacing the battery isn't going to fix what's draining it. There's an underlying problem. Either the battery isn't charging when the engine is running or something is draining it when the engine is off, the battery isn't the problem. Don't replace it until you've found the problem.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #4 - 09/17/12 at 17:46:39

How old is your battery?

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 09/17/12 at 23:37:31

Key off,, Ohm meter set to Ohms, battery out of circuit, connect ohm meter to battery cables.

Should read Infinite Resistance.

Or, battery charger connected to one battery cable, test lite connected to other side of charger, then to the cable, If the lite lites, theres a load on the battery even when the key is off,

That may need reworded,, anyone is welcome,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #6 - 09/18/12 at 08:29:07

You may have voltage but no crank power also, may have a bad cell. You can bring you battery to your local auto part store for free testing.

IP Logged
residualsilver
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks! darn right!

Reply #7 - 09/18/12 at 21:37:11

battery was D E A D.... had to use all my tips to buy another..... thanks for all the input though got a charger out of it as well.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 09/18/12 at 22:18:10

They die like that allrite,,

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #9 - 09/19/12 at 01:44:34

Make sure you find out what's draining it or you're gonna be really mad when you ruin your brand new battery.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #10 - 09/19/12 at 04:27:38

Cavi Mike wrote on 09/17/12 at 16:46:54:
10.3 is critically low, a lead-acid battery typically won't recover from being discharged that far. Also, replacing the battery isn't going to fix what's draining it. There's an underlying problem. Either the battery isn't charging when the engine is running or something is draining it when the engine is off, the battery isn't the problem. Don't replace it until you've found the problem.

True, 10 volts is critically low, and in a theory does permanent damage, but to say it won't recover ? Fact is most will !

And to say the battery isn't the problem ? I read no evidence of that.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #11 - 09/19/12 at 05:58:09

If you only ride in warm weather and your bike always fires right up, sure, the battery may hold up after being damaged from being discharged that far. I wouldn't want to try it on a cold morning on a finnicky bike. A couple failed starts and that battery is gonna be flat.

Second, even a completely ruined battery will still show upwards of 12v, especially after you just got off the bike, but 10.3v? Never. Something drained that battery or it simply wasn't being charged. That's proof to me.

The only other thing that may be wrong is all of the water evaporated from the battery but that usually only happens if someone left it on a battery-charger on one of the "charge" settings for a couple days or more.

IP Logged
residualsilver
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks! darn right!

Reply #12 - 09/19/12 at 10:22:10

got it down to the rectifier, had a friend look at it says something was wrong between the connections... worked on it for a few hours and seems like the battery is giving stable output now... ty

IP Logged
LouSiana

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hannover, Germany
Reply #13 - 09/19/12 at 12:21:33

abt. 10 Volts on a battery for a short time (max. one day or so) won't ruin it that quick. But say good-bye to it if it has to last more than a week that way.

If something was wrong with the connectors, that IS a reason the battery voltage is used up quite soon.

Keep the battery in mind, make some tests next days, quite possivble that it has recovered fully.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 12:33:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › battery

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.