Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Re: Header question for new muffler and heatshield (Read 204 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Header question for new muffler and heatshield
09/17/12 at 01:45:25

The header is a double walled unit. I dont think you can bend that w/o wrecking it, even 7 degrees.

REally? Gonna {Pay someone to put the muffler on it? IIRC, those Emgo mufflers arent very long lasting, Looks good,tho.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
grungeant
YaBB Newbies

2007 Suzuki S40

South Jersey
Reply #1 - 09/17/12 at 08:45:37

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/17/12 at 01:45:25:
The header is a double walled unit. I dont think you can bend that w/o wrecking it, even 7 degrees.

REally? Gonna {Pay someone to put the muffler on it? IIRC, those Emgo mufflers arent very long lasting, Looks good,tho.

How will the heatshield work with the bend?
In the pictures I've seen of the Dyna mufflers it looks like the exhaust is straight.
Is there anything else you need to use with the heatshield?
Won't it just scratch and rust up real bad real fast if you hose clamp something to chrome?

Is the chrome exhaust adapter from Ryca the same thing everyone else has made just in chrome?
Looks like I might not need the heatshield if I buy the adapter form Ryca.
Or is the heatshield what makes the exhaust look clean?

Will I need the longer exhaust mount from Ryca too?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #2 - 09/17/12 at 09:04:53

grungeant wrote on 09/17/12 at 08:45:37:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/17/12 at 01:45:25:

How will the heatshield work with the bend?

IDK, 7* isnt much really, most shielods have raised areas the clamps run thru, so they Stand Off a little, so, as long as the ends arent touching, itll be okay,

In the pictures I've seen of the Dyna mufflers it looks like the exhaust is straight.

Yea. Ive seen that, I guess the best answer would be to take your muffler off & see what happens when you try to mount the Emgo.
Usually hafta pull the header, so as to not overload the little header bolts yanking on it.

Is there anything else you need to use with the heatshield?
Won't it just scratch and rust up real bad real fast if you hose clamp something to chrome?

I guess it mite, but, it'll be behind the shield, so, no ones gonna know but me & you, & I Promise, I wont tell a SOUL!
& you can inspect & clean it once in a while,

Is the chrome exhaust adapter from Ryca the same thing everyone else has made just in chrome?

IDK,, The Ryca changes swing arm angle, so,, maybe not.

Looks like I might not need the heatshield if I buy the adapter form Ryca.
Or is the heatshield what makes the exhaust look clean?

Will I need the longer exhaust mount from Ryca too?

These things can be known, by you, by taking the emgo & laying it right next to where you want to mount it,& studying it, tape measures & such,
How would you do it if you were the very first guy to decide
"Hey! I think Id like to ditch this big old clunky muffler & put that slim little Emgo dude on there!" Its just a muffler, dont let it freak ya out, YOu can do this, Its a great first step toward having & maintaining your own bike.,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
grungeant
YaBB Newbies

2007 Suzuki S40

South Jersey
Reply #3 - 09/17/12 at 09:30:23

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/17/12 at 09:04:53:
YOu can do this, Its a great first step toward having & maintaining your own bike.,

I'm not afraid of working on my bike. I went to school for autoshop.
I work long stupid hours.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 09/17/12 at 10:00:36

I hope youre gettin big smart paychecks.

I well remember the days of 60 & 70 hour weeks, keeping the yard mowed & trying to keep my life in some kind of order & still find time to cook out w/ friends & go bowling,. I cant see now how I did all that.,.

IP Logged
grungeant
YaBB Newbies

2007 Suzuki S40

South Jersey
Reply #5 - 09/17/12 at 11:23:16

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/17/12 at 10:00:36:
I hope youre gettin big smart paychecks.

I well remember the days of 60 & 70 hour weeks, keeping the yard mowed & trying to keep my life in some kind of order & still find time to cook out w/ friends & go bowling,. I cant see now how I did all that.,.

Not terribly big, but bigger than working 40hrs which isn't an option at my job. My shift is 2pm-2am with every other weekend off.
So things are very rushed and stressful on my days off.

Putting it together seems pretty easy provided I know exactly what I need before hand.
That's why I am trying to find out everything I can so I can order what I need and give it to the guy and it doesn't have to lay in pieces for a week while we wait for parts.
I have a car, but the bike is just way more economical, so that's another reason I don't want to spend a day off taking things apart to measure, then put it back together for work knowing it is only going to have to come apart again when parts come.

Taking it apart is what bothers me because that's where unexpected things come up. That's why I prefer to just pay someone who has all the right tools and exp to deal with unexpected things without charging more money, or any signifcant amount of extra time which is actually more valuable than any amount of money I have spent on the machine.
And the bike can be worked on while I'm working. The guy does better work than I could and in less time.

You have no idear how happy I was when they called me up at 12:30 and said we're slow today so we're gonna have to ask you to sit this one out today.
Can you practically hear the can opening?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 09/18/12 at 00:18:10

Well,, IDK enough to help you get set up to make the project run smoothly for a mechanic. Only someone who has done this exact swap can know what has to be done. How yours comes apart? Well,, theres a variable,, He's just gonna hafta be able to handle it.

Sounds like you deserved a can or 2..

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #7 - 09/18/12 at 00:29:59

Well if the mount is the same as the EMGO 26" reverse cone muffler and you get the ryca adapter then all you really need is 2 stainless steel t-bolt clamps.  The clamps that come with the muffler and the ryca adapter aren't worth a darn.  The slotted mount on the muffler when combined with the ryca adapter should line right up with the stock mounting bracket, at least it does with the 26" reverse cone muffler.  Biggest issue I've had with it is, when pushing it hard on right hand turns the muffler will tag the ground before my right side foot peg does,  I've got a nice flat spot ground into the bottom of my muffler now.

The heat shield if it's the 2" version will fit just fine and cover up the clamps and make it all look nice and clean.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 09/18/12 at 00:34:56

e muffler will tag the ground before my right side foot peg does,

Thats unacceptable IMO. That would have to be solved, because the pegs get on the ground real easy,,& if I got in a corner & Had to lean like I lean, then the rear wheel whould come up when enough weight got on the muffler, Id crash.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #9 - 09/18/12 at 04:47:28

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/18/12 at 00:34:56:
e muffler will tag the ground before my right side foot peg does,

Thats unacceptable IMO. That would have to be solved, because the pegs get on the ground real easy,,& if I got in a corner & Had to lean like I lean, then the rear wheel whould come up when enough weight got on the muffler, Id crash.

Yeah it does kinda suck and I will fix it one day.  As for it coming up on the muffler and unloading the rear wheel I don't think that's gonna happen as it is just before the right peg touches,  I can still fold up and grind the right peg in the turns.  It's just the biggest part of the muffler that hits and that is quickly wearing away with the way I take alot of corners.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 09/18/12 at 04:59:30

Ohh,, & to further mess this poor dudes threar up. I went to Yantis a few days ago. I wanted to buy some of that milk.,. I heard they shut down,
Is that true?

IP Logged
grungeant
YaBB Newbies

2007 Suzuki S40

South Jersey
Reply #11 - 09/18/12 at 07:18:01

rfw2003 wrote on 09/18/12 at 00:29:59:
Well if the mount is the same as the EMGO 26" reverse cone muffler and you get the ryca adapter then all you really need is 2 stainless steel t-bolt clamps.  The clamps that come with the muffler and the ryca adapter aren't worth a darn.  The slotted mount on the muffler when combined with the ryca adapter should line right up with the stock mounting bracket, at least it does with the 26" reverse cone muffler.  Biggest issue I've had with it is, when pushing it hard on right hand turns the muffler will tag the ground before my right side foot peg does,  I've got a nice flat spot ground into the bottom of my muffler now.

The heat shield if it's the 2" version will fit just fine and cover up the clamps and make it all look nice and clean.

R.F.

I am pretty sure the mounts are the same.
So Do you think I should buy the adapter and mount from Ryca?
What two clamps do you recommend I get?

Did your stock muffler drag too? this one is way skinnier than the stock one.
Another thought. My bike corners like absolute dog crap. This is the worst handleing, especially cornering bike I have ever ridden. I thought this thing should handle simaler to my 1983 KZ750 which was nothing to write home about, but at the same time wasn't bad either. I put more air in my back tire and it got a little better. I suspect alot of my handling issues are in the stock IRC tires with about 6k on them, but they don't look wore out. From what I read I want to get the Metzler 880 Marathons front and back, but I can't imagine that would make the bike handle or corner that much better Can it?

I have never even come close to scraping my footpeg. It seems like the bike would get away from me long before I even came close.

Is it possible my bike handles like crap because I have saddle bags?
This is my first bike with saddle bags.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #12 - 09/18/12 at 08:16:27

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/18/12 at 04:59:30:
Ohh,, & to further mess this poor dudes threar up. I went to Yantis a few days ago. I wanted to buy some of that milk.,. I heard they shut down,
Is that true?

I'm not sure,  I've never actually been out to that place.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #13 - 09/18/12 at 08:22:51

grungeant wrote on 09/18/12 at 07:18:01:
I am pretty sure the mounts are the same.
So Do you think I should buy the adapter and mount from Ryca?
What two clamps do you recommend I get?

Did your stock muffler drag too? this one is way skinnier than the stock one.
Another thought. My bike corners like absolute dog crap. This is the worst handleing, especially cornering bike I have ever ridden. I thought this thing should handle simaler to my 1983 KZ750 which was nothing to write home about, but at the same time wasn't bad either. I put more air in my back tire and it got a little better. I suspect alot of my handling issues are in the stock IRC tires with about 6k on them, but they don't look wore out. From what I read I want to get the Metzler 880 Marathons front and back, but I can't imagine that would make the bike handle or corner that much better Can it?

I have never even come close to scraping my footpeg. It seems like the bike would get away from me long before I even came close.

Is it possible my bike handles like crap because I have saddle bags?
This is my first bike with saddle bags.

For the clamps I bought them locally,  one was for 1.75" the other was for 1.625" ID tubing.  As for the stock muffler dragging I don't know, Mine came with a Jardine on it but I replaced that because it was way to loud for my tastes.
The Ryca adapter does the trick but it's up to you if you want to spend the money for theirs or goto a local muffler shop and have them make you the same thing for much less.

the handling, those stock IRC tires are crap I put a set of Pirelli Route 66 on mine and the bike was a new machine.  The saddle bags shouldn't really effect your handling unless you have alot of weight in them. The Savage is a very capable and nimble little cruiser just don't expect sportbike cornering out of it, even though it will easily hold a corner with it's pegs grinding the pavement.

IP Logged
grungeant
YaBB Newbies

2007 Suzuki S40

South Jersey
Reply #14 - 09/18/12 at 09:10:40

rfw2003 wrote on 09/18/12 at 08:22:51:
For the clamps I bought them locally,  one was for 1.75" the other was for 1.625" ID tubing.  As for the stock muffler dragging I don't know, Mine came with a Jardine on it but I replaced that because it was way to loud for my tastes.
The Ryca adapter does the trick but it's up to you if you want to spend the money for theirs or goto a local muffler shop and have them make you the same thing for much less.

the handling, those stock IRC tires are crap I put a set of Pirelli Route 66 on mine and the bike was a new machine.  The saddle bags shouldn't really effect your handling unless you have alot of weight in them. The Savage is a very capable and nimble little cruiser just don't expect sportbike cornering out of it, even though it will easily hold a corner with it's pegs grinding the pavement.

I'm ok buying something from an exhaust shop, but will it be chrome? That's the only reason I like the Ryca one.
What is wrong with the clamps? Do they not seal good or they just rust fast or what?
Maybe I should just buy the Ryca adapter and see how the clamps hold up?

My saddle bags aren't very heavy at all. I think maybe I don't have enough weight on my bike?
I am 5'9" 150lbs. my rear shocks were on the 2nd notch and I dropped them down to the 1st notch and it made it ride better. It's still a little on the stiff side though. I noticed my bike rides better when I'm commuting to work. With my backpack and other gear I am about 180-185lbs.
My girlfriend's Rebel250 has oldschool looking Bridgestones and that thing handles way better than my S40 which I can't understand being it is longer and heavier.
I know when I went from Continentals to Bridgestones on my KZ it made a world of difference on ride and cornering, so maybe my tires really do suck? As far as I can find on the internet Bridgestone doesn't make a rear tire that fits an S40.
What else can you compare Pirellis to on the same machine?
I haven't heard anyone say Pirellis are better or worse than any tires I've used other than the IRCs.
Has anyone compared Bridgestones to Metzlers on the same bike?

My first street bike was a 1998 KLR250. I used to ride that thing like a crotch rocket. It was the best handling bike I have ever ridden. You could turn almost completely horizontal with it, and because of the 6speed you could cruise 80-85 steady, and because of the DOHC it was very smooth, and because it was liquid cooled it didn't run weird when you got stuck in traffic on a hot day. It was also a very comfortable riding position. I wish someone made a simaler lightweight, nimble bike with a small efficient engine in a non dirtbike package.
They could probably do it by say making the TU250 frame a little bigger, add a 6speed, and use like about a 400-450cc fuel injected single cylinder... and a Kickstarter just for the cool oldschool styling.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 04:18:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Re: Header question for new muffler and heatshield

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.