Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Re: Header question for new muffler and heatshield (Read 204 times)
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Re: Header question for new muffler and heatshield
Reply #15 - 09/18/12 at 09:24:02

The clamps are very poor at sealing as they are weak and stretch when you tighten them down instead of clamping the pipe.  An adapter made at a muffler shop won't be chrome but I'm sure you could have them make it out of stainless.  With the heat shield on there you won't see it anyways though. I wouldn't be to concerned about the adapter from Ryca being chrome as it's a very cheap chrome and will discolor almost immediately.

I can't compare the Pirelli tires to anything but the IRC's as the Savage is my first MC in about 15 years, I just recently got back into riding again. I went with the Pirelli's because of suggestions here and chose those over the Metzler's because of price.  After reading through the Thread on the Tail of the Dragon Run,  I will most likely get the Metzler tires next time as the Pirelli tires didn't fare well in wear for those that had them on this years trip up there.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
grungeant
YaBB Newbies

2007 Suzuki S40

South Jersey
Reply #16 - 09/18/12 at 09:48:29

rfw2003 wrote on 09/18/12 at 09:24:02:
The clamps are very poor at sealing as they are weak and stretch when you tighten them down instead of clamping the pipe.  An adapter made at a muffler shop won't be chrome but I'm sure you could have them make it out of stainless.  With the heat shield on there you won't see it anyways though. I wouldn't be to concerned about the adapter from Ryca being chrome as it's a very cheap chrome and will discolor almost immediately.

I can't compare the Pirelli tires to anything but the IRC's as the Savage is my first MC in about 15 years, I just recently got back into riding again. I went with the Pirelli's because of suggestions here and chose those over the Metzler's because of price.  After reading through the Thread on the Tail of the Dragon Run,  I will most likely get the Metzler tires next time as the Pirelli tires didn't fare well in wear for those that had them on this years trip up there.

I've never had any exhaust work done other than changing mufflers, so I don't really know what exhaust shops make or stock.
I would rather have stainless than chrome over cheap metal.
Can you tell me the exact dimensions to give to the exhaust shop?
What size does the inlet need to be, then how long before the 7degree bend, how long after the bend, and then what size does the outlet need to be? Do exhaust shops sell stainless clamps or do I need to go to a Harley shop or something?

This is my first bike since my KZ about 8 years ago, and sometimes I wonder if the poor handling of the bike is my imagination, but then I ride someone elses bike and see that it is not. I will probably definately get the Metzlers too. I found them pretty cheap on Ebay.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #17 - 09/18/12 at 10:21:53

After reading through the Thread on the Tail of the Dragon Run,  I will most likely get the Metzler tires next time as the Pirelli tires didn't fare well in wear for those that had them on this years trip up there.

I was riding a Dunlop CruiseMax that evaporated on the hot mountain roads, not a Pirelli.   I am unaware of anybody's Pirelli dying up at the Dragon this past year.  

I will say that high road temps and aggressive riding are absolute hell on tires though.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #18 - 09/18/12 at 10:59:41

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 09/18/12 at 10:21:53:
 After reading through the Thread on the Tail of the Dragon Run,  I will most likely get the Metzler tires next time as the Pirelli tires didn't fare well in wear for those that had them on this years trip up there.

I was riding a Dunlop CruiseMax that evaporated on the hot mountain roads, not a Pirelli.   I am unaware of anybody's Pirelli dying up at the Dragon this past year.  

I will say that high road temps and aggressive riding are absolute hell on tires though.

My mistake,  could have sworn I thought I read Pirelli   Huh

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 06:25:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Re: Header question for new muffler and heatshield

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.