Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Step up to M50? (Read 157 times)
mscepu101

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Step up to M50?
09/15/12 at 15:11:07

I am sick and tired of my oil leak!!  I have the mechanical ability to do the repair but no time and work area to start and complete the operation. My local dealer said it would cost about $ 400 for the repair.

So I went to my local Victory dealer for a demo ride and though they look great only one caught my eye - the vegas 8 ball.  But then I saw the price and said no way!

But then I saw a used M50 and it looked and felt great.  But when I jumped back on my savage it Smiley simply felt more nimble.

So does anyone think the M50 is better than the savage?  And should I pay $400 to get the repair done on my bike that is a 1999 with 8800 miles?

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Step up to M50?
Reply #1 - 09/15/12 at 15:36:57

You will feel must better at freeway speeds on the M50.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #2 - 09/15/12 at 18:18:01

If you want a little of both worlds, look for the S50. Same motor, looks almost like an S40/Savage, but is lighter than the M50 or C50. It only adds 100lbs compared to the Savage, but the Motor is stronger. This thing goes like a MOFO!
It even has the same size tires. 100lbs more isn't all that bad. I betbit's way more nimble than an M50 or C50. I rode my brother in law's C50 several times, and yes it is more comfortable on the highway than the Savage, but in town and in the twisties handles like an ocean liner. In the twisties he had not a chance to follow me. Same on offramps and onramps. When he bottomed out his floor boards, I passed him on the outside not even pushing it.
The M50 is probably better, but the S50 has to be best. I never rode one, but I want one.

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #3 - 09/15/12 at 19:27:37

My roommate has an S50, I've done a lot of the repairs on it. It's very cramped and it has a ton more parts stemming from it being a twin and water-cooled. One of the clamps on his water line came loose and it was near impossible to get at without removing the tank and the carb for #1 cylinder. The shaft drive is also a pain to deal with when changing the rear tire - you're able to get the whole thing back together again even if you don't completely have the driveshaft engaged.

Also, it has an odd riding position. It feels almost like you're leaning backwards and you're hanging on to the bike for dear life instead of you being in control. Maybe some different bars would remedy that but considering how complicated everything else is on it, I'm not a fan of it. If you chose the Savage for its simplicity, you don't want an Intruder.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 09/15/12 at 21:24:33

$400.00 for the head plug? Thats a hair much. Get the parts, materials & tools, get everything together, plan the job, Dont do hoot else, go in, fix it, get out,
Ask some of the guys whove done it how long it takes,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #5 - 09/16/12 at 07:46:52

We had a guy work with us that had a S50,I ready didn't care for it much,I thought the riding position wasn't what I liked.I didn't like the way the drive shaft acts,But the newer bikes have got that better.I would surely buy the C50 instead.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Borracho

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #6 - 09/16/12 at 08:44:58

My wife has a C50. It is a good bike. Much smoother and more refined, but I hate the riding position- beach bars, forward floorboards, heel shifter. My Savage is certainly more fun on short rides.

The M50's are really cool. Good value. I would consider if the riding position was ok.

2004, Jardine muffler, K&N drop-in, Corbin seat, Raptor petcock and Sportster handlebars with phony ISO grips.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 00:21:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Step up to M50?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.