Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Intel and Windows try to get competitive (Read 87 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Intel and Windows try to get competitive
09/14/12 at 15:01:33

http://liliputing.com/2012/09/intes-next-unit-of-computing-4-mini-pc-coming-i...

As you read the short article, note how many Raspberry Pi's and MG802 machines this thing would cost.

And this is "The Next Unit of Computing"  ????

Sounds like they are advertising for the little Linux machines, not for Intel/Microsoft.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Re: Intel and Windows try to get competitive
Reply #1 - 09/14/12 at 15:13:40

That might be a good option for those who (due to the occasional inexplicable incompatibility) need to boot into windows.  I wonder if those solid state drives are partitionable for a dual-boot setup.

Sooner or later I will need to replace this dinosaur.. and the replacement needs to be quiet and efficient. I keep stuttering between one of those lilliputers or forking over the cash for a mac mini.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 09/14/12 at 16:37:36

When I have to buy the next monitor I will buy one with a HDMI input, then swap it to my desk when my old white box dies.

By then I hope we are up into the quad core A15 era with Mali 687 graphics .....  Cheesy

Seriously, a monitor is $150 and a little Linux box is under $125 so for less money than the Next Unit of Computing I can buy an entire new rig up.

Undecided

But then I have all these durn laptops to go through, before I buy anything else .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #3 - 09/14/12 at 18:15:29

Boule’tard wrote on 09/14/12 at 15:13:40:
That might be a good option for those who (due to the occasional inexplicable incompatibility) need to boot into windows.  I wonder if those solid state drives are partitionable for a dual-boot setup.

Sooner or later I will need to replace this dinosaur.. and the replacement needs to be quiet and efficient. I keep stuttering between one of those lilliputers or forking over the cash for a mac mini.

Boule' I can highly recommend the Mac Mini! We got ours about three years ago after constant troubles with the Window Boxes. Ours is the 2.2ghz Intel core 2 duo processor with 2gig 1067mhz DD3 memory and 160 gig HD. No complaints or problems after three years! I hear the new ones are even better and faster!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #4 - 09/14/12 at 19:59:09

I might go for one. The only thing holding me back is that they cost a serious chunk o change.  If there are fancy websites that don't work 100% on Safari, or files that can't be opened on the mac, I could just use a work computer.

Yeah OF the monitor  Roll Eyes   Yep, I bought one of the first LCDs, back when they cost $700.  I figured all those extra fancy plugs like HDMI were for chumps, just give me the standard 9-pin VGA.  Dammit.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #5 - 09/15/12 at 19:50:27

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 09/14/12 at 15:01:33:
As you read the short article, note how many Raspberry Pi's and MG802 machines this thing would cost.

Neither of which would do me any good. No one ports real software to Android or even Linux. When MasterCAM ports to Android, I'll buy one. Until then, the Raspberry Pi and the MK802 are just toys. It's the whole reason why I haven't bought an Asus Transformer Prime and still carry around my 5 year-old 8.9" 900MHz Eee PC - it has Windows.

IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #6 - 09/17/12 at 09:39:09

Unfortunately Cavi is correct. I don't use MasterCam but I do use Inventor. I'd love to be able to use that on an Android based system but somehow I just don't see that happening any time soon.

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #7 - 09/17/12 at 11:34:41

Cavi Mike wrote on 09/15/12 at 19:50:27:
Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 09/14/12 at 15:01:33:

Neither of which would do me any good. No one ports real software to Android or even Linux. When MasterCAM ports to Android, I'll buy one. Until then, the Raspberry Pi and the MK802 are just toys. It's the whole reason why I haven't bought an Asus Transformer Prime and still carry around my 5 year-old 8.9" 900MHz Eee PC - it has Windows.

Yep... 10" Acer One... 3 years old running XP on a SSD I installed last year. Some months it gets MUCH more use than my desktop. If I get bored enough I might try a unix variant.. I keep my copy of the Clymers on it for the bike..just drap the netbook out to the garage when needed..

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 02:35:14

General CategoryThe Cafe › Intel and Windows try to get competitive

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.