oil cooler (Read 232 times)
Super Thumper

2001 LS650 With 97mm
Big Bore Kit, Stage
III Cam.

Windsor, Vermont
oil cooler
09/14/12 at 14:50:24

Looked through the technical documents but could not find anything about oil coolers for my 650 savage. Does anybody know where to get one?

Live To Ride...Ride To Live
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: oil cooler
Reply #1 - 09/14/12 at 14:57:35

search oil cooler and you'll find the general opinion is... the savage doesn't need one.  Even those in Az say the same.  You'll need it before the bike does.

However, one from an SV650 will work if you can find the banjo bolts.
one is M12x1.25 and the other is M14x1.25 which can't be found.

WWW   IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #2 - 09/14/12 at 15:18:39

Maybe you could find someone parting out a DR650 and poach the oil cooler.  A fairly small cooler, yet big enough to keep a 650 thumper from overheating.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 09/14/12 at 16:59:06

Oil cooler, solution in search of a problem,that just may create a fatal problem, I lost an engine in a Honda car because a tiny piece of gravel got thrown up by oncoming traffic & popped my radiator. A tiny leak on a cooler is gonna slowly drain your oil & you may not discover it until the engine starts to lose power about 10 seconds before the sleeve grabs the piston in a death grip. Next in the undesirable series of events is the rear wheel ceasing its rotation. Hopefully, the clutch will get pulled in time to keep you from crashing,

In short, cool as it would be, its really not gonna give ya anything but a clunky looking lump strapped on your trim little bike that can bite you in the butt. There are several things a guy can do that enhance performance or looks or just tend to make the bike "More to your liking".
Theres the Verslavy for the cam chain,hopped up cam, seat lift, spark plug door, Raptor petcock, chain conversion, carb tuning, ditching that trash can Suzuki strapped on them & called it a muffler, fork brace, forward controls, different handlebars, bigger gas tank, give it to me,, lots of things you could do that would be easier than an oil cooler.
But, if thats where yer head is & ya just cant let it go.,,, man, Go For ITTT,, & post pics, cuz we all like to see a project,.,
I think someone did it & made it work, but I cant remember who, or how,.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #4 - 09/14/12 at 17:10:07

Well I can say this for sure.  Even on 104°F days during the ride the oil temps stay very good on the Savage. I haven't gotten over 235°F while in motion, when stopped on that same 104°F day for a very long traffic light that took a few cycles to get through it the oil temp only reached 257°F which is well within the oil limits not to mention the fact that even with a cooler it wouldn't have helped because your not in motion.  I've been watching the temps here lately and even on those 100°F days it takes a good 20 miles minimum for the oil to get to 212°F to start boiling off any condensation that may have gotten into your oil,  If you add a cooler in there your gonna most likely gonna have issues unless you live in an area that regularly hits 100°F or your ride is much longer then 20 miles.

IHTH

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #5 - 09/14/12 at 22:36:11

get an oil temp gauge

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 09/14/12 at 22:39:02

thumperclone wrote on 09/14/12 at 22:36:11:
get an oil temp gauge

& the TRumpets Blare!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #7 - 09/15/12 at 19:43:55

Why?

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #8 - 09/15/12 at 20:53:58

The story I got from an old BMW rider says an oil temperature gauge was made available for Beemers. Many riders bought it. They found out the oil ran pretty hot. They also found out there was nothing they could do to reduce the oil temperature. And they found the high oil temperatures apparently did no harm. They would then sell the oil temp gauges to new "pilgrims" and forget the whole idea.

Remember there is such a thing as running oil too cool. It has to get hot enough to evaporate condensed water and any gasoline that washes down the cylinder walls on cold starts.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 09/15/12 at 21:05:54

Cavi Mike wrote on 09/15/12 at 19:43:55:
Why?

Dont you remember the old timey movies? Trumpets would blare when the King made a right & Proper proclamation or something Big happened? Geeze,,

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #10 - 09/15/12 at 22:34:19

I meant why would he want an oil cooler or oil temp gauge.

You don't need either and I guarantee the first thing you're going to do is try to compare the readings to a car - which is water cooled - and think that something is wrong. Turns out what was wrong was thinking the bike needed something it doesn't(like a tachometer)

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 09/16/12 at 00:57:33

WEll, allrighteee then,,

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #12 - 09/16/12 at 16:38:27

Turns out what was wrong was thinking the bike needed something it doesn't(like a tachometer) [/quote]

need and wants are different things

when i first got my suzi i thought it may need an oil cooler so i got an oil temp gaugeha an adaptor machined for the front oil por  that i can eaaily adapt to feed an oil cooler..
6 years later and still havent seen the need for a cooler even on 100 deg days

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #13 - 09/16/12 at 17:28:36

Like I said - The problem is thinking the bike needed something it didn't.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 09/16/12 at 19:34:29

These engines have been in production for a long time. If they died because they overheated, this board would know it, & have an answer.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 08:33:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › oil cooler

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.