Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Fuel Starvation Symptom - All Speeds (Read 622 times)
WeWontBlink
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Amarillo, TX
Fuel Starvation Symptom - All Speeds
09/14/12 at 08:22:23

I got my first bike ('06 S40) a few months ago, and I've been lurking here ever since.  I have a problem I need to ask about.  I've got a fuel starvation symptom at all speeds, even idle.  It begins right away after the bike is started.  The bike can be ridden, but sometimes it dies, sometimes it doesn't.  But while riding it's like it is not getting enough fuel...through all the gears.  I've checked the fuel line, cleaned the air filter, and done the petcock test.  Those didn't help.  I thought for sure it would be a petcock issue after reading about all the trouble here.  
I'm an extreme newb mechanically but hoping to change that with this bike.  I need advice where to look next.  Thanks.

2006 LS650.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Fuel Starvation Symptom - All Speeds
Reply #1 - 09/14/12 at 08:55:14

check the float level

attach a clear tube to the drain and flex it up beside the carb
open the drain and watch the fluid level come up
should stop at the bowl gasket with the bike verticle and the petcock to prime.

other possibles, clogged gas cap vent, spiders in carb bowl vent tubes.

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #2 - 09/14/12 at 10:48:49

WeWontBlink wrote on 09/14/12 at 08:22:23:
I got my first bike ('06 S40) a few months ago, and I've been lurking here ever since.  I have a problem I need to ask about.  I've got a fuel starvation symptom at all speeds, even idle.  It begins right away after the bike is started.  The bike can be ridden, but sometimes it dies, sometimes it doesn't.  But while riding it's like it is not getting enough fuel...through all the gears.  I've checked the fuel line, cleaned the air filter, and done the petcock test.  Those didn't help.  I thought for sure it would be a petcock issue after reading about all the trouble here.  
I'm an extreme newb mechanically but hoping to change that with this bike.  I need advice where to look next.  Thanks.

They run lean stock,I would try some Sea Foam in the gas to clean and lube the carb.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 09/14/12 at 12:02:45

Make sure youve got it idling high enough to keep oil in the cam bearings.

How many miles on it?

What happens if you pull the choke 1/2 way?
All the way?

How many miles have YOU put on it?
Has it been like this the whole time?

Toss out some details, s[pend some time typing,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WeWontBlink
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Amarillo, TX
Reply #4 - 09/14/12 at 12:53:26

verslagen1 wrote on 09/14/12 at 08:55:14:
check the float level

Thanks for the input.  I wil definately try these things when i get off work.

2006 LS650.
  IP Logged
WeWontBlink
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Amarillo, TX
Reply #5 - 09/14/12 at 14:24:34

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/14/12 at 12:02:45:
Make sure youve got it idling high enough to keep oil in the cam bearings.

How many miles on it?

It's got about 2500 miles.

What happens if you pull the choke 1/2 way?
All the way?
I did not try 1/2 way, but with the choke all the way out the symptoms are still there.

How many miles have YOU put on it?
About 600..  It had a little over 1900 when I got it.
Has it been like this the whole time?
No. 595 of those miles were trouble free.  I went for a 30 min ride the other night.  All was well and normal.  When I started the bike the next day the problem was apparent immediately.

Toss out some details, s[pend some time typing,

Well, when I started the bike the other day I could tell right away there was a problem, but I drove it anyway.  I got 1/2 mile down the road and it died.  After about 1 min of trying, I got it started again, but it died when I tried to drive.  So I trailered it home.  Since then, it is starting much easier than when I was on the side of the road.  Almost normally.  I have taken it out for 1-2 mile jaunts to test it after I did the petcock test and cleaned the air filter (which was still really clean).  It has not died again, but the bike sort of struggles along.  When I kick up the idle with the carb screw it seems to idle without issue, but the problems are still there as soon as I start moving.

2006 LS650.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #6 - 09/14/12 at 16:06:23

I doubt this is your issue, but I will share my experience just for giggles.  I was new to a bike (recently) and thought I had enough fuel in the tank to make some test rides, and purposely left it nearly empty because I knew I would have to drain and pull the tank as soon as I got back to the garage.  

Anyway, I had several episodes on test rides with the bike spitting and sputtering and (from experimenting) had to turn it to reserve to make it home. I thought it was a bad carb setting or an issue with the vacuum line on the carb/petcock because that is what I was tinkering with and testing.

Come to find out, the tank just didn't have enough gas in it to operate off reserve...hence, it was doing exactly as designed.  

Lesson learned is that what I think is enough fuel to be beyond reserve isn't the same as what the bike thinks, and if I don't want to walk, I'll go by the bike's rules.
Tongue

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 09/14/12 at 16:38:51

Next time it gives you that feeling of "Im starving for gas",, give it 1/2 choke & see how it acts, Then full, if 1/2 doesnt give you anything.

May not do hoot, since it adds fuel instead of restricting air.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LouSiana

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hannover, Germany
Reply #8 - 09/15/12 at 03:46:24

I once had an issue, nearly the same. First the bike won't go beyond abt. 50 mph and then sputtered heavily. Then the speed decreased more and more I could go. At last, I could hardly act the throttle any little bit without bangs and sputter. I knew something must be in the carb bowl going on.

When I looked there to see what it is, I found a birch tree seed which had settled in the main jet. It must have got in through the venting tubes, which were correctly placed in the square frame liner.

I also know, small condense water parts, separated and stirred up by vibrations, may settle in the jets and can't get through because of their surface tension. I had this issue several times on another bike.
Then just drained the carb bowls after tapping the carbs with a screwdriver handle and I could go on again.

IP Logged
WeWontBlink
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Amarillo, TX
Reply #9 - 09/15/12 at 08:10:00

verslagen1 wrote on 09/14/12 at 08:55:14:
check the float level

A clogged gas cap vent (which I didnt even know existed) really caught my attention because a couple of days ago the gas cap "hissed" for 3 or 4 seconds like it was letting off pressure from the tank.  I hadn't heard this before and attributed it to the changes I made for the petcock test.  So I checked this first.  I don't really know what to look for but I think everything is OK here.  http://www.flickr.com/photos/87238306@N03/7988345776/in/photostream The pic shows the pulled apart gas cap.  There are 2 holes.  One is blocked with a foam insulation, the other with the little ball in it is completely clean.  This is the vent, correct?

2006 LS650.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 09/15/12 at 08:40:03

yeah, 1's a inny and the other is an outty.  I don't how the others are cleaning it, perhaps spray it with carb cleaner.

WWW   IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #11 - 09/15/12 at 13:00:07

Spray it with carb cleaner and make sure the ball rattles. Also completely disassemble and make sure all the twisty channel cast into the cap is clean. Turn the gaskets over as well.
That hissing is a guaranteed sign that there is something wrong with the venting. I speak from experience. Roll Eyes

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #12 - 09/15/12 at 20:27:54

We,

If you try the other stuff mentioned above, and still no joy, try swapping the spark plug for a new one......

IHTH!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
WeWontBlink
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Amarillo, TX
Reply #13 - 09/17/12 at 10:14:30

arteacher wrote on 09/15/12 at 13:00:07:
Spray it with carb cleaner and make sure the ball rattles. Also completely disassemble and make sure all the twisty channel cast into the cap is clean. Turn the gaskets over as well.
That hissing is a guaranteed sign that there is something wrong with the venting. I speak from experience. Roll Eyes

Well I took apart the cap and cleaned it super good.  The thick gasket was pretty hard on one side.  I flipped it over.  Problems are still there, though.  It died on me again when I went for a test ride.  Don't think this is my problem...although it did "hiss" at me a few days ago.

2006 LS650.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 09/17/12 at 11:24:38

Put a hose on the bottom of the carb drain spigot and run it into to a container.  Then set the petcock to PRI and see if you get a steady fuel flow into the container.  This will test the flow out of the tank, through the petcock filters, the fuel hose and the needle and seat of the carb and into the float bowl.  You should get a steady trickle.  I will time it on my bike and let you know how long it takes to drain 16 oz....that will give you an idea if your flow is normal.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 22:22:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fuel Starvation Symptom - All Speeds

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.