Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
NY Times article on Trikes for Old People (Read 308 times)
Steampowered Boy
YaBB Newbies

Deny me and be
Doomed!!

Glendale, CA
Re: NY Times article on Trikes for Old People
Reply #15 - 09/14/12 at 19:16:35

What a bunch of crap; my parents are in their sixties and my mom runs marathons twice a month and my father races motorcross most weekends at Perris or Glen Helen.

It seems like a good choice for people that have given up on life.

How other people treat you is their dharma; how you react is yours.
zombiematic digtldecay   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 09/14/12 at 19:26:42

Not everyone enjoys good health. I was riding a 10 speed around town, & by "around town" I mean I would go to the Southernmost main road & ride Eat to the Easternmost main road & go North to that main boundary, then West then back towards home, hitting some favorite turns along the way when I was 27 & could still break 5 minutes on the mile, then, I got poisoned,, & things havent been good since,

You can have your opinion/attitude toward others if you like, but it doesnt sound to me like you are considering the limitations we find laid on us.;

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #17 - 09/15/12 at 12:31:42

I'm getting really close to go trike or stay home myself, and I'm only 40. The degenerative joint and disc disease I was diagnosed with 11 years ago is starting to take a toll. Lower back is trashed, discs look like pads of beef jerky (radiologist's wording). Knees and hips are going. Fingers are starting to rotate on their central axis and twist over each other. At full relax my fingers look like they are gripping a motorcycle handset.

It's to the point my L6/3spd in my truck is getting swapped for a later model V8 and slushomatic.

25 years of being on 2 wheels takes a toll, along with the horses, thousands of miles of hiking, military service, farming...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #18 - 09/15/12 at 12:56:13

I've road a Goldwing trike I really didn't like it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #19 - 09/15/12 at 13:28:25

Bill,, what was it about it you didnt like?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #20 - 09/15/12 at 14:19:25

Steampowered Boy wrote on 09/14/12 at 19:16:35:
What a bunch of crap; my parents are in their sixties and my mom runs marathons twice a month and my father races motorcross most weekends at Perris or Glen Helen.

It seems like a good choice for people that have given up on life.

Ahh- the confidence of youth! Wink
Wait till your 60 something, with arthritis, diabetes, emphysema, or what ever else old age will bring, then dis the trikes.
One of my neighbours is a die hard Harley guy. His ankle was smashed in an accident to the point where he walks with a cane and can't ride a bike anymore. He refuses to get e trike.
I have taught a guy with polio to ride a two wheeled bike. He had partial use of his left leg and his right leg was completely paralyzed, with a brace.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #21 - 09/15/12 at 14:21:04

I'll take an old 750cc Harley or Indian factory built trike in a heart beat. They are a bit crudely built but pretty near bomb proof.

I'm actually with Bill on Goldwing trikes. The ones I've tried were some kind of boring. Poor handling, bad center of gravity, far too heavy.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #22 - 09/15/12 at 16:28:32

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/15/12 at 13:28:25:

When you go around a corner,Of course it doesn't lean but almost a bounce sideways like feeling when you hit a bump.Its my brothers he paid $12000 to have it none and he likes it.I figure $12000 you have to like it.I had a Goldwing for 5 years so i was used to the bike.I would guess that the front tire would have about half the life of normal bikes.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Steampowered Boy
YaBB Newbies

Deny me and be
Doomed!!

Glendale, CA
Reply #23 - 09/15/12 at 17:59:03

Well, I am 40 and am an insulin dependent diabetic with a broken kneecap from a car accident in my 20s and a congenital hip issue.  I broke several of my fingers about 15 years ago and can't really bend a few of them anymore.

My mother has beaten cancer a few times and my father just had his shoulder repaired after completely detaching it and having to have surgery a few month ago to reconnect the muscles.

Nothing wrong with owning or riding a trike, but to make the assertion that they since they are "too old" or immobile and it was inevitable that they would get there someday is not true.  They got there by not taking care of themselves and not making the effort when they were younger to avoid it.

How other people treat you is their dharma; how you react is yours.
zombiematic digtldecay   IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #24 - 09/15/12 at 19:10:53

Did someone here just compare an injured war veteran with a fat piece of sh!t? Please tell me I didn't just read that.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #25 - 09/15/12 at 21:37:19

bill67 wrote on 09/15/12 at 16:28:32:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/15/12 at 13:28:25:

When you go around a corner,Of course it doesn't lean but almost a bounce sideways like feeling when you hit a bump.Its my brothers he paid $12000 to have it none and he likes it.I figure $12000 you have to like it.I had a Goldwing for 5 years so i was used to the bike.I would guess that the front tire would have about half the life of normal bikes.

I didnt think Id like it, Im sure Ill never get a chance to find out,
REally didnt expect the "Bounce sideways" part,,
Id go convertible, for sure

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #26 - 09/16/12 at 07:15:57

Cavi Mike wrote on 09/15/12 at 19:10:53:
Did someone here just compare an injured war veteran with a fat piece of sh!t? Please tell me I didn't just read that.

I take great offence to this!!!
My youngest son is 400 pounds, eats less than I do, exercises more than I do, and has a perfectly healthy thyroid.
Some people are just heavy, period.
Don't tar everyone with the same brush. Angry

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #27 - 09/16/12 at 22:27:17

Oh America, where obesity is genetic and homosexuality is a choice.

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #28 - 09/19/12 at 06:04:59

Hi Arteacher, I believe Cavi Mike was actually referring to what Steampowered boy recently posted.

Going bak to the issue on trikes, I would like to point out a gross bestiality nobody seems to have noticed.

The author of the article stated "Trikes have three wheels, therefore are more stable and thus safer."

Shocked

Uh... yah, right, whatever...  Roll Eyes

Until proven otherwise, a boy's tricycle will CAPSIZE at much slower speeds than a boy's bicycle will lose control.

That's why both Can-Am and Piaggio have designed their three-wheelers with two wheels fore and one aft.

However, I notice the Bombardier does not seem to lean into corners like the Piaggio MP3 will...

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #29 - 09/20/12 at 04:36:28

Yea it leans into a turn some   Grin

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 12:58:42

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › NY Times article on Trikes for Old People

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.