Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Poll Poll
Question: What are your thoughts on the stock headlight

It Blows!  Can't wait to replace it.  
  16 (19.5%)
It Blows! Was one of the first things I replaced.  
  8 (9.7%)
It stinks, but who cares.......  
  10 (12.1%)
I guess it's ok.  
  18 (21.9%)
Works fine for me.  
  28 (34.1%)
What's a headlight?  
  2 (2.4%)

Total votes: 82
« Created by: ToesNose on: 09/13/12 at 18:24:11 »

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
What are your thoughts on the stock headlight (Read 1142 times)
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Re: What are your thoughts on the stock headlight
Reply #45 - 09/20/12 at 12:14:08

A 7" shell only holds a 6" headlight.

This one is an 8" shell that holds a 7" headlight, and it looks like that boxy bucket might have room enough for an HID ballast and relay.

http://www.flyncycle.com/Motorcycle_Headlight_Yamaha_p/hlyrd250.htm

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #46 - 09/20/12 at 12:54:36

Gyrobob wrote on 09/20/12 at 12:14:08:
A 7" shell only holds a 6" headlight.

This one is an 8" shell that holds a 7" headlight, and it looks like that boxy bucket might have room enough for an HID ballast and relay.

http://www.flyncycle.com/Motorcycle_Headlight_Yamaha_p/hlyrd250.htm

The link is not working......and a search on their site did not bring up a Yamaha headlight.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #47 - 09/20/12 at 18:22:16

Drat.  That link worked this morning.  I was going to order one.  They must have sold out.

This is the only link I can find at the moment that has an 8" diam light.

http://www.wemoto.com/parts/picture/HL-379700/

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #48 - 09/25/12 at 09:52:13

Here is a link that provides Yamah XS650 sytle healights and mounts.  I thinkg this might work for me - but I need to check the fork tube diameter and spread to see if the mounts will fit correctly.

http://www.mikesxs.net/products-77.html#products

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #49 - 09/25/12 at 13:11:54

Dave wrote on 09/25/12 at 09:52:13:
Here is a link that provides Yamah XS650 sytle healights and mounts.  I thinkg this might work for me - but I need to check the fork tube diameter and spread to see if the mounts will fit correctly.

Those are pretty good, but keep in mind a 7" bucket holds a 6" light.  When they say 7" you'd best find out what they really mean.

I just bought a 9" bucket with an 8" headlight in it.  I paid too much, and it will require some work, but at least I got something huge now.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #50 - 09/25/12 at 15:17:55

While it wasn't one of the first things I replaced, once the plastic bucket cracked it was time.

20120123_Nadine.jpg

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #51 - 09/26/12 at 05:36:08

Gyrobob wrote on 09/25/12 at 13:11:54:
Dave wrote on 09/25/12 at 09:52:13:

Those are pretty good, but keep in mind a 7" bucket holds a 6" light.  When they say 7" you'd best find out what they really mean.
I just bought a 9" bucket with an 8" headlight in it.  I paid too much, and it will require some work, but at least I got something huge now.

An 8" headlight would be nice......but it is an exclusive club that I just don't think I can afford to get into right now.  The cost of 8" headlights and the fact that many are either NOS and expensive......or beat up and projects has kept me from buying one.  I believe the XS650 style will work fine until I come across an affordable 8" one.

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #52 - 10/16/13 at 07:57:50

EJID wrote on 09/13/12 at 20:43:46:
I don't ride much after dark either, and always thought mine was messed up. One day I took it apart to have a look and notice the previous owner had rotated the bulb 180o for who knows what reason. After rotating it back to the correct location I think it works much better. The fact that it's a plastic shell concerns me, but if that shell holds up, I doubt I will modify it.  Cool

My stock bucket just broke yesterday  Angry so now it's time to replace it. I really like the one that ToesNoes went with, just trying to find the bigger one like he bought in Chrome it looks like the Demon's website only has the larger size in black now.

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #53 - 10/16/13 at 17:16:48

Check their EBAY listings too, when I bought mine they offered different stock there then on their website  Wink

If you can't find it shoot me an email, I've been hording parts in preparation of a standard/café-ish conversion. I could possibly be persuaded to part with it LOL  Roll Eyes

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #54 - 10/16/13 at 19:43:07

The stock bucket cracked on mine about four years ago and I replaced the entire headlight assembly with a 9 inch long one. Looks ok but the ring that holds the lense in has started to corrode, don't know if I'll be able to get it apart unless I use a hammer on it. Cheesy
Buying a headlight is a lot like buying a pair of boots without trying them on, you don't know if they will work for you untill you go out and stomp around in them. By then you can't take them back.
 Oh yeah, I would like to know what genius ran all those wires up into the bucket and then back out again.  It made it a PIA to replace the unit.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
SkyHigh
YaBB Newbies

Get your kicks on
Route 66...

Phoenix, AZ
Re: What are your thoughts on the stock headlight?
Reply #55 - 10/17/13 at 22:17:55

I've got a 2011 S40 and the stock headlight works just fine for me.  At night on a lonely two-lane highway here, where the speed limit is 55 MPH, I turn on the brights on the bike when there are no oncoming cars -- and the road is lit up almost a 1/4-mile down the road, with plenty of light sprayed out to the sides.

But I've been riding only a couple years now and am wondering what is detrimental or lacking in the stock headlight.  If you think it's a "bad" headlight, unsafe, or lacking in some respects, please state why so that those of us who think the stock headlight is fine can be enlightened.   Smiley  Thanks.

Stock 2011 S40 - Pearl Mirage White / Metallic Veil Silver
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Re: What are your thoughts on the stock headlight?
Reply #56 - 10/18/13 at 07:28:45

SkyHigh wrote on 10/17/13 at 22:17:55:
I've got a 2011 S40 and the stock headlight works just fine for me.  At night on a lonely two-lane highway here, where the speed limit is 55 MPH, I turn on the brights on the bike when there are no oncoming cars -- and the road is lit up almost a 1/4-mile down the road, with plenty of light sprayed out to the sides.

But I've been riding only a couple years now and am wondering what is detrimental or lacking in the stock headlight.  If you think it's a "bad" headlight, unsafe, or lacking in some respects, please state why so that those of us who think the stock headlight is fine can be enlightened.   Smiley  Thanks.

Light-wise, I've always considered it adequate but could be brighter. My problem with the light is the plastic bucket that broke on me earlier this week. No prior signs of problems, no identifiable impact or rough patch of road, just snapped off for no reason  Sad

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
SkyHigh
YaBB Newbies

Get your kicks on
Route 66...

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #57 - 10/18/13 at 10:49:49

Wow, EJID, the possibility of the stock headlight snapping off is definitely something for those of us who have one to be wary of.

So some detriments of the stock headlight are these so far:
1. Some feel it could be brighter (I think the brightness is fine, though).
2. Some housings have cracked.
3. At least one has actually snapped off.

The extremes of weather and road conditions may account for cracked housings.  I suppose it's fine to stick with the stock headlight if one finds it adequate (as I do, at least for now).  But replacing it with a more "robust" one is always an option for anyone.

Safe riding to all!   Cool

Stock 2011 S40 - Pearl Mirage White / Metallic Veil Silver
  IP Logged
latony007
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #58 - 10/18/13 at 12:10:09

realize this thread is old but I see a few of you switched to HID kits which I am very interested in. I also have a Yamaha FZ6R that I want to do it on but thought it would test with a cheaper kit on my savage. You can just replace the bulb with an HID and add the ballast and that's about it? is it easy to do?
I almost had someone do it for my Yamaha but they wanted over 200 bucks for the projector and everything and its just out of my price range right now. a kit cost 30-50 bucks and now have some bi xenon that will do hi and low in HID without the halogen.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #59 - 10/18/13 at 12:40:37

depends on where you live, if you have inspections... tread lightly.
Proper way is to replace the lens assembly with the projector lens type.
There's a thread somewhere showing how.

You can get ones that'll drop right in, but entirely legal to do so.
as the law requires that if it's not factory equipment, can't be done.
Pay attention to how it's aimed, aim it lower than normal and you shouldn't be any worse than everyone else that's doing it.

and yeah, it says right on the package for off road use only... right.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 14:33:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What are your thoughts on the stock headlight

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.