Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Poll Poll
Question: What are your thoughts on the stock headlight

It Blows!  Can't wait to replace it.  
  16 (19.5%)
It Blows! Was one of the first things I replaced.  
  8 (9.7%)
It stinks, but who cares.......  
  10 (12.1%)
I guess it's ok.  
  18 (21.9%)
Works fine for me.  
  28 (34.1%)
What's a headlight?  
  2 (2.4%)

Total votes: 82
« Created by: ToesNose on: 09/13/12 at 18:24:11 »

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
What are your thoughts on the stock headlight (Read 1142 times)
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Re: What are your thoughts on the stock headlight
Reply #15 - 09/14/12 at 07:32:22

Gyrobob wrote on 09/14/12 at 06:07:24:
rfw2003 wrote on 09/14/12 at 05:41:37:
Gyrobob wrote on 09/14/12 at 04:54:23:
Which HID kit did you use?  

Did it use the H4 setup that has two beams in one HID unit?  My understanding is that rather than using two elements, the hi/low beam HID setups use a relay that actually triggers a solenoid that moves the element up and down.  This way they don't need two bulbs, two ballasts, etc.

Where did you hide the ballast?

Well I went with a little more expensive kit then most here do, but I could have used the cheaper one just as easily.  I got mine from customdynamics.com  Yes it's a Hi/Lo H4 that has the moving bulb in it.  I hid the ballast under the fuel tank on the right side of the frame, it tucks in there like it was meant to be there.

R.F.

What was the rationale for spending a little more?  We are not talking megabucks, here.

Did your kit have one of the really small ballasts?

It was advertised with a very small ballast, said foot print was comparable to a credit card, but after receiving it I took some measurements and looked at some of the other less expensive kits and those that have the slim digital ballasts are about the same size.

I should have paid more attention when I was looking at them to see what the actual measurements were before I spent the extra money, I was trying to find the smallest one I could.  
It's almost small enough to fit the whole ballast in the stock headlight bucket.  If I was to upgrade the bucket to one of the bullet types it would definitely fit as there was less then 1/4" lacking to assemble the headlamp back together with the ballast in the bucket.

If I had it to do over again I would have gone with one of the cheaper kits.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #16 - 09/14/12 at 18:50:30

rfw2003, do you think the ballast and relay for an H4 kit would fit in this headlight?

http://www.flyncycle.com/Motorcycle_Headlight_Yamaha_p/hlyrd250.htm

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #17 - 09/14/12 at 19:02:20

Gyrobob wrote on 09/14/12 at 18:50:30:
rfw2003, do you think the ballast and relay for an H4 kit would fit in this headlight?

http://www.flyncycle.com/Motorcycle_Headlight_Yamaha_p/hlyrd250.htm

Can't really tell from those pics.  Looks like the bigger part of it hugs the glass lamp fairly tightly so the only free area would be the square box part on the back.  Depending on how big that is on the inside it might.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #18 - 09/15/12 at 12:42:43

Mine broke within a couple months of buying the bike. Tool roll on the handlebar, hard bounce, cheap plastic headlight housing...

Swapped on the unit from Lisa's old 450 Rebel. Worked great until her son crashed my bike and bent the shell.

Now run the Emgo sourced Lucas replica 7" sidemount. The thing can actually be aimed! And throws 2x the light of the stock housing. And mounted as high as possible it actually looks like a designed in part of the bike. Instead of the stock after thought unit.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #19 - 09/15/12 at 15:43:31

I thought the stock light was good,I put a H-4 50w80 in mine.In mine and wifes GR650s we had 80w110w in them,That really lit up the road with 2 bikes.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #20 - 09/15/12 at 19:18:52

WD wrote on 09/15/12 at 12:42:43:
Mine broke within a couple months of buying the bike. Tool roll on the handlebar, hard bounce, cheap plastic headlight housing...

Swapped on the unit from Lisa's old 450 Rebel. Worked great until her son crashed my bike and bent the shell.

Now run the Emgo sourced Lucas replica 7" sidemount. The thing can actually be aimed! And throws 2x the light of the stock housing. And mounted as high as possible it actually looks like a designed in part of the bike. Instead of the stock after thought unit.

Is that a 7" bucket with a 6" lens, or an 8" bucket with a 7" lens?  How about some pics?

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #21 - 09/15/12 at 20:18:03

WD wrote on 09/15/12 at 12:42:43:
Now run the Emgo sourced Lucas replica 7" sidemount. The thing can actually be aimed!

The stock light can be aimed, there are two adjusters on the bottom. I don't think a headlight can even be DOT approved if it can't be aimed.

IP Logged
J C Stokes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 09/15/12 at 23:28:02

Stock seems ok to me, just under two years woith no problems.

IP Logged
prsavage

atgatt

Nanaimo BC
Reply #23 - 09/16/12 at 23:08:27

Bothmy Savage and my Intruder 800 headlights were weak.  On each I would ride with the switch right in between high and low beam which would turn on both high and low at the same time.  No overheating problems on either bike.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #24 - 09/17/12 at 07:40:19

7 inch lens in a mounting collar.

This one can be aimed a lot more readily and accurately than I ever got out of the stock Savage light. Or Lisa's 800 Intruder light (same thing and still on her bike). Much larger light pattern where the beam intersects the roadway, much larger pattern to the shoulder and road center.

I'll have to get on the other computer for pics. Maybe later.

Okay, it's later...

« Last Edit: 09/17/12 at 14:03:34 by WD »  

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Bock
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 09/17/12 at 21:47:55

I rode my bike in the dark for the first time a few weeks ago.  I had to put my brights on because I couldn't see 10 feet in front of me with the dims! Must not be aligned right....or the stock headlight just plain sucks.

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #26 - 09/18/12 at 08:32:41

Just bought an old headlight and a classic car show, it's yellow, can't wait to put it on.

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #27 - 09/18/12 at 08:43:59

The headlight from Demon's came yesterday, it's alot nicer then I was expecting for the price as far as quality and finish. I found an old commercial grade heavy duty fire extinguisher mount in one of my tool boxes which I promptly started cutting and grinding to fit as a mount.  I decided to use the mounting holes that the retainer for the front brake line and wires uses, as they have a deep enough thread. I'll take a picture of the mount when it finishes drying, but here's the headlight temporarily on just to check for position and clearances.

I went for the larger 6 1/4" x 8 1/4" thinking I'll eventually go HID and want extra room in the bucket, they also have the same design in 5" x 6 3/4" for $38.99  Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #28 - 09/18/12 at 10:09:22

This review in Webbikeworld says converting to HID doesn't have any advantages except for using 20 less watts.

This is counter to all the opinions I have heard about HID systems being so much brighter.

Any comments?

http://www.webbikeworld.com/suzuki-dr650/hid-headlight/

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #29 - 09/18/12 at 11:14:28

One major problem is that they kept the original  lens,  to get the full effect of HID a clear lens or optimally a projector lens is needed.

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 12:17:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What are your thoughts on the stock headlight

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.