Backfire.....COPS!!!! (Read 374 times)
demtho41
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

sullivan county, NY
Backfire.....COPS!!!!
09/12/12 at 08:58:37

So is there a simple cheap way to help the backfire? Mine sounds like a shot gun going off everytime you shift 3-4-5. also if going down hill and you let off the throttle it constantly backfires every couple of seconds. Like I said it sounds like a shot gun going off, so it isn't just a slight rumble. When i ride with a group the first time it happens it scares the nuts out of everybody, i've had a couple tell me it blows flames too. I ask other riders what they suggest but none of them have ever had a single cylinder before and wern't sure, I've heard from change the spark plug, to having the motor completely overhauled. and from reading on here I havn't found an answer, but what most of the other guys suggest people on here have done and it hasn't helped, my issue is that I keep getting stopped by cops, and the one has stopped me a couple of times and told me he's going to start issuing me tickets which could lead to impounding my bike....yeah it's that loud.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Backfire.....COPS!!!!
Reply #1 - 09/12/12 at 09:04:53

shift pop is usually an air leak.

check the header bolts and muff clamp

then use a candle while it's idling to detect any puffs of air coming out of the exhaust.  especially along the bottom as it can rust out.

WWW   IP Logged
RanDaMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Reply #2 - 09/12/12 at 09:06:14

The cheapest place to start is to remove the brass plug over your air/fuel mixture screw in the right side (if sitting on the bike) of your carb. once youve removed that plug you can adjust it and that might muffle most of the noise. there are plenty of threads that show pics and step by step how to do this. sounds like youre running very lean.

if that doesnt help you can change out your muffler that stoped most of the backfiring for me.

hope you figure it out!  Smiley

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 09/12/12 at 09:09:56

Tell us what kind of muffler you have, what modifications the bike has, and if anything has been changed from stock.

Also put your location in your CPanel so we know where you live.  That way people can contact you if they live near you.....and can help with your techical problems.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 09/12/12 at 09:10:46

Tell him to suck it.
Cops deal with people folding under their will all day and appreciate someone who isn't afraid to stand up to them.

What exhaust do you have on there? I find it hard to believe it's as loud as a shot gun blast. I have the baffles cut out of my stock exhaust and it shoots a fireball (melted the bottom of my bag on that side) but it isn't that loud.

If you don't have a candle I've used cigarette smoke as a detector before. Blow it out and you can see if it moves as if it's being blown by exhaust gases.

Before I swapped jets I used to wind 'er up and hit the kill switch. That pop would echo for three streets.

--Steve

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 09/12/12 at 09:12:50

I suppose some of that Jasmine or Patuolli incense would work for finding leaks......and would make your garage smell nice! Grin

IP Logged
RanDaMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Reply #6 - 09/12/12 at 09:19:00

verslagen1 wrote on 09/12/12 at 09:04:53:
shift pop is usually an air leak.

Thats good to know ive been having slight shift pops if i go over a certain speed before shifting i just assumed my carb wasnt fine tuned i havent checked for air leaks. Looks like i know what im doing later today!!  Wink

IP Logged
demtho41
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

sullivan county, NY
Reply #7 - 09/12/12 at 09:26:48

ok, added in my address, I'm in SUllivan County NY. The bike is a '03, has no modifications, everything is stock i bought it off a guy this January with 2900 miles on it, he bought it for his wife, but she since decided she liked riding on the back of his bike better. He claims he used to take it out for a few short rides a year to make sure it ran, told me it had a oil leak, I noticed it was overfilled on oil, the oil was leaking out somewhere from up under the gas tank, but now that it has the proper amount of oil in it, it doesn't appear to be leaking ( would only leak when hot). I had a issue with the petcock, but I pulled that apart and cleaned it and it's worked fine since then, I changed the oil and the brakes this year before I rode it, threw some seafoam into the tank and it did a good job helping clean it up, had alot of smoke coming out and idles much better now, he claimed he changed the spark plug last riding season, so I havn't changed that yet, it fires up every time no problem, but the backfire problem is pretty bad, no cop has given me a ticket yet, as I work for FDNY they've extended me a professional courtesy. I havn't seen cops give tickets for the exhaust being too loud, but it's been described to me by people as sounding like a shot gun going off everytime I let off the accelerator, so that may be why he's starting to get a little aggrivated, but to take it to a shop is so expensive. Evereything is stock though, still all has the Suzuki labeling on it, if you want part numbers I can probably get those later on certain things, my side job is a HVAC mechanic so I have mechanical ability just dont know what I'm looking at when it comes to a bike, but I really wanna learn.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 09/12/12 at 09:35:58

First step, cold engine, SNUG, do not try to crank them down, just Feel of them, if they turn, okay, if not, theyre okay,OR, they backed out & corroded up. Id remove them & go back in if the wont tighten up, just a 1/4" ratchet, short handle, one hand, snug the header to jug flange, evenly, little twist one side, then, the other,
I antiseize these things. Id rather snug them every few months than worry about them sticking.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 09/12/12 at 09:38:07

Does the rear of the muffler have a single outlet.....or does it look like someone has drilled holes around the single center outlet? Has the brass plug been drilled out and removed from the carb?

You should go to the Technical Section and read up on these issues:
Here is the link to the Index......go to the Backfire Issues section and read.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1181745927

IP Logged
demtho41
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

sullivan county, NY
Reply #10 - 09/12/12 at 12:15:11

ok, the exhaust has several holes out the end of the tail pipe but no rust or anything being rotted out. It has one hole in the middle and the a cirlce of holes around it, they all appear to be what would come from a factory, doesn't appear to have been done in a home garage or half assed. all the bolts on the head and everything are all tight, tried the white space mod, but the top end does not come loose 3 of the bolts do not budge, quickly took it to a Harley shop that is just down the road, the one guy there tried to get the screws undone and could not get them, tried a little PB blaster on there, told me would have to tap them and try to find replacements. but if he tapped them would have to charge me,  ( didn't charge me for removing seat and gas tank and everything once I got it there) So I guess for today learned how to remove the gas tank and all and that my petcock is no good. Works, but never stops flowing no matter what. Any suggestions is the exhaust good, was that factory maybe the original owner changed it, it says Suzuki on it.

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 09/12/12 at 12:20:38

It is possible the rear baffle was drilled out.
It's been some years but I'm pretty sure mine only had the hole in the middle.
Impact driver (the kind you hit with a hammer not the gun) will get those 4 bolts out no problem.

--Steve

IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #12 - 09/12/12 at 12:30:59

Stock Muff has one hole in the middle.

IP Logged
tarkm812
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Island
Reply #13 - 09/12/12 at 12:50:22

If I were you I would replace your petcock with a Raptor petcock.  If you already know you have fuel flow issues you will not be able to tweek the carb correctly.  I had similar problems and thanks to finding this site found out that a petcock off of a yamaha raptor 660 is a direct replacement for a manual on/off/res petcock.  Just plug the vac port on the carb.  I don't have the part number off hand but search this site for it.  For me it solved my fuel flow problem and gave me a stable starting point to start tweeking.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 09/12/12 at 13:09:08

Here is an article on the Raptor.....including the part number to order.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1340021926

Your muffler has had the end drilled out to make it louder....that is probably why you have such a loud backfire.  The stock muffler has a single outlet in the middle.....no other holes from the factory.

The screws on the top of the carb might have to be taken off with vice grips, then replaced.....they can be tight and/or corroded.  The internal screws on the slide are also very tight.....it you aren't experienced with an impact driver or drilling the heads off screws, this might be the time you get to learn.

Spend some time in the Technical section.......use the index....slow down and read a bit as all the problems about the screws, spacer mod, jetting etc. are already printed.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1191899985

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 21:30:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Backfire.....COPS!!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.