Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Replace Speedometer Glass (Read 111 times)
frizat
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Replace Speedometer Glass
09/10/12 at 13:59:17

Total beginner question.

I just recently purchased an 03 LS650 Savage.  The glass is broken over my speedometer.  I found a new len's and bezel here: http://www.jpcycles.com/product/5600002#reviews which is much cheaper than buying a new speedo.

Has anyone ever replaced their speedo glass? Or at the very least even know if it's possible to open the speedo glass w/out breaking it.

I'm open to any suggestions, I'm worried about rain getting into the broken glass and causing issues down the road.

Thanks!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Replace Speedometer Glass
Reply #1 - 09/10/12 at 14:12:07

I suppose this would work.  The original is spun over - the factory puts in a seal, the glass then the metal trim and it is spun and shrunk over the backside to get it sealed.  You will have to cut that metal off somehow.  The link you listed is for a Harley speedo.....not for sure it will fit the Savage.

You may be able to get a speedometer shop to spin the metal back on for you.....but one fellow that bought that kit just siliconed his back together.  Not sure if that would work on the Savage - as the back of the speedometer sits on a rubber or plastic piece.

You could probably get a used speedometer pretty cheap......just send a message to the guys parting out bikes in the Classified Section.  I bought a speedometer off eBay for $ 10 and $ 10 shipping for a joke.  I put in on my very clean low mileage bike....and the speedometer now has 40,000 miles on it! Grin

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
frizat
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/10/12 at 14:26:42

Awesome, i'll check out the classifieds, thanks for the quick reply!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 09/10/12 at 14:45:05

Guys on the honda sohc/4 site are doing this.
there's a single strip of metal that's swedged on.

then they crimp it back down by making a form with wood or plastic.
will have to find the thread if you're interested.

either way, your speedo will be tampered with and you'll have to give a reason why.  Of course, the glass was broken when you got it.  was it intact so the PO couldn't tamper with the numbers?

WWW   IP Logged
frizat
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 09/11/12 at 07:02:04

Ya the seller was a friend of mine, he broke it and never tampered with it.  If I get a new speedo can I set the mileage to match?

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #5 - 09/11/12 at 07:04:14

frizat wrote on 09/11/12 at 07:02:04:
Ya the seller was a friend of mine, he broke it and never tampered with it.  If I get a new speedo can I set the mileage to match?

Nope, that is not legal to do.  That is tampering with the odometer.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 09/11/12 at 07:34:29

I would not be afraid to replace the speedometer with a used one that has similar mileage and not proclaim the change.  It is one thing to deliberately set mileage back to cheat and decieve someone.....but taking a replacement speedometer and making the mileage match the existing one seems like a victomless crime to me.

Taking one apart is not realistic...you will be right back to the problem you have right now.  The only way I know to change one would be to connect it to a drill or similar electric motor and let it run at 60 - 100 mph and add mileage to match your existing one.  I am not sure if you could run it backwards to subtract mileage without damageing something.

Probaby the best thing to do is just find a used speedometer and document the mileage that is on yours when you take it off, and the mileage that is on the replacement when it is installed.  That way you can honestly document the mileage that is on the bike at any point in the future.....for future maintenance or resale.  The RYCA conversion bikes for sale always list the mileage before the conversion and the mileage after the conversion that removes the original speedometer.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #7 - 09/11/12 at 07:43:27

Yea if you are going to replace it, just hold onto the original speedo to show the mileage and the reason for replacing it when you sell it.   Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
feelinjunky

No Comment

NJ
Reply #8 - 09/11/12 at 18:41:24

ToesNose wrote on 09/11/12 at 07:43:27:
Yea if you are going to replace it, just hold onto the original speedo to show the mileage and the reason for replacing it when you sell it.   Wink

Yup.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 20:27:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Replace Speedometer Glass

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.