Positive battery cable (Read 148 times)
thumperev55
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Leesburg, Florida
Positive battery cable
09/10/12 at 13:02:19

Hello again....Want to replace the positive battery cable on my Savage with one that doesn't look like speaker wire..Has anyone here made their own and what gauge did you use ??? Thank you in advance

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Positive battery cable
Reply #1 - 09/10/12 at 16:50:49

How big you wanna go? Ive never seen anyone solve that particular problem.. but hey, I guess you can be the first. Before we decide what gauge to go with, maybe you could help me with the clues needed to make that decision scientifically.
First, how long did you run the starter before the insulation on the wire got soft?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
thumperev55
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Leesburg, Florida
Reply #2 - 09/10/12 at 17:25:48

Hello justin_o_guy2
I meant the starter cable.....Seemed awfully flimsey for the draw a starter might have...I know for a fact that my Yamaha Vstar had starter cable issues and I guess i'm a bit paranoid...If it is what it is then so be it....just curious whether anyone ever beefed it up...Thanks for your reply !!! I'm a big fan of overkill especially after seeing my cam chain tensioner dynamite after 7000 miles........

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 09/10/12 at 17:59:36

If I was gonna' beef up,.. I think I'd beef up the ground strap...
That's a dinky little turd... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
John in Kalifornia

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 09/10/12 at 18:01:40

Have you taken any voltage readings? What is the drop between the battery positive and the starter terminal? A cheap HF digital meter is plenty good enough for testing purposes. I even got one free once with one of the weekly “gift with purchase” promos. You may be looking for a solution to a non-existent problem. Most electrical related problems are due to bad connections not under designed components.

From a quick look-see on the Internet the necessary multi stranded wire isn't available in short quantities. If you have the parts, go for it. Lots of tutorials on YouTube for cable making. Just remember you can’t use house wiring. The high vibration environment of a motorcycle demands many small strands of fine wire.

A marine supply place might have made to length cables available. Some online motorcycle supply places also sell ready-made cables. Don't know the quality, though. There are places that make cables to order, don’t know the cost...

I’m not trying to discourage you from making your own cables. It’s the availability of the needed wire in short lengths that may be a problem. I’ll let you know if I find a supplier.

John in Kalifornia.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #5 - 09/10/12 at 18:26:10

If I was to make my own I would most likely use 8awg wire.  This will handle the load of the starter easily and have a very minimum of voltage drop in that short distance that it will be run.  You can get 8awg power wire at pretty much any place that does car stereo's by the foot. You can order it online by the foot from the same type of stores.  

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 09/10/12 at 18:30:23

R.F,.. he don't want it to look like speaker wire,... and you're telling him to buy speaker wire...
Grin Grin Grin...

Just be sure to buy speaker wire, that don't "look" like speaker wire...  Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #7 - 09/10/12 at 18:36:20

Serowbot wrote on 09/10/12 at 18:30:23:
R.F,.. he don't want it to look like speaker wire,... and you're telling him to buy speaker wire...
Grin Grin Grin...

Just be sure to buy speaker wire, that don't "look" like speaker wire...  Huh...

Nope wasn't saying to buy speaker wire.  Was saying 8awg power wire.  Car audio shops are a great place to buy power wire by the foot in all sorts of sizes.

If ya think 8awg looks to small then 6awg would work as well, it's just harder to find by the foot. Although I'm sure you could get a 6awg wire from the auto parts store via the cheap battery cables and just the ends off and put your own connectors on that was needed for the savage.

Crutchfield.com has 8awg power cable for $1.99 per foot and 4awg for $2.99 per foot, but I think 4awg is kinda overkill and might pose a few issues in the tight confines around the battery on the savage.

http://www.crutchfield.com/g_718/Power-Ground-Cable.html?tp=578

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #8 - 09/10/12 at 22:57:33

go to your local car audio shop
they should have some fine strand #6 awg that they use to wire high current amps with..
by the foot $$. get the gold terminal ends while youre at it

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
LouSiana

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hannover, Germany
Reply #9 - 09/11/12 at 01:35:48

I would say the original is about AWG 6. A stronger one might be desireable, but I think it is not required.

What you should bear in mind is a multiple insulation at the cable! Don't ever use a simple PVC-insulated cable. Choose one with at least heavy silicone insulation and maybe additionally a cotton cloth insulation.

Temperature of the engine would melt down PVC easily. AFAIK the stock wire is triple insulated with PVC, cotton and an ugly rippled hose (did I say that correct?).

And if you go with the wire to the starter, you did ony the half job done. The other part is the ground wire and the "hot" wire fom battery + to the starter relay.

As mentioned otherwhere here, the initial current is about 200 Ampere, the average current with compression strokes is about 50-60 Ampere, depending on how much the battery voltage drops.
Therefore: The lower the losses in the high current wiring, the more the battery may drop in voltage. We got a critical point at about 9.5 Volts, then the plug would not fire anymore.
So the limits in current through thinner stock harness may have still an advantage. If you only think it's ugly, right.
But remember, you then might need at last a heavy duty battery.
Some aftermarket batteries have only borderline values...
Especially if you try to start her in winter. Oil gets thicker, voltage drops more by higher consumption and restricted battery chemistry.

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #10 - 09/11/12 at 03:11:53

Without replacing the negative cable as well, there won't be any point. It's a myth that the positive should be larger than the negative especially considering electricity flows from negative to positive.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #11 - 09/11/12 at 04:41:02

Cavi Mike wrote on 09/11/12 at 03:11:53:
Without replacing the negative cable as well, there won't be any point. It's a myth that the positive should be larger than the negative especially considering electricity flows from negative to positive.

You'd think this would be obvious,.. but old wives' tales just won't go away.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #12 - 09/11/12 at 06:05:54

Cavi Mike wrote on 09/11/12 at 03:11:53:

Exactly! I have had to put bigger positive AND negative cables on vehicles when installing amps and sub woofers. And like Lou said, get cables with good insulation on them.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #13 - 09/11/12 at 08:47:19

Welding cable works pretty well too.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 14:28:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Positive battery cable

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.