Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Question on battery charging. (Read 160 times)
Blue04Savage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Question on battery charging.
09/09/12 at 11:44:26

Here come a display of ignorance. lol  Embarrassed Lately i've been dealing with vertigo issues, and cannot ride my bike.  That being said, I don't want to just let it set without ever running it.  This led me to a question.....

Does the battery get charged as the bike is running, or does it have to be driving?  I'm assuming it is charging as it's running, but I know they don't have an alternator like a car, so it's more of a maintenance charge.  I don't really know much at all about the charging system on bikes.  This is my first.  Anyone care to take me to school on this?  I didn't find any posts on here that answered my question.

Thanks!

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Re: Question on battery charging.
Reply #1 - 09/09/12 at 12:14:16

What is your definition of bike running?

What is your definition of bike driving?

I want to be sure what you are asking before I take a stab at answering your question(s).

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Blue04Savage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/09/12 at 12:29:33

Bike running would just be sitting there running, but not going anywhere.

Bike driving, would naturally be if you are riding it somewhere.

Basically I just want to keep everything "fresh" on the bike while it sits for awhile until I can get my health issues fixed, and go ride again.  Thinking of this made me wonder about the charging system, and I realize I don't really know how it works.  This is my first bike.  I know cars quite well, but when it comes to bikes, it's all new to me.

Thanks.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 09/09/12 at 12:34:36

won't charge at an idle
half hour at 3k rpm with result in a good charge.
don't do that in the garage, you need at least a fan.

you'd be better off with a trickle charger and 10 min idle runs to keep it up.

WWW   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #4 - 09/09/12 at 12:45:46

Once the engine is a bit above an idle, the electrical system will charge the battery. It doesn't care whether the bike moves or not. This is exactly the same as with a car, although the control circuitry differs. And it is not just a "maintenance charge" as the system can supply several amps to the battery However, if just keeping the battery charged is the objective, you will be better served to get an automatic battery charger such as the Battery Tender and charge the battery with that. Find a charger with a maximum charge rate of no more than two amps. If you have a charger with variable rates set it to the lowest.

There is some dispute over the wisdom of starting the engine for a few minutes every week or two to "keep the battery charged." I personally believe if you are not going to ride the bike for at least several miles you are wiser not to start it at all. Starting it and letting it run idle (not under load) does not get it evenly warmed, and tends to accumulate water in the oil and the exhaust system.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Blue04Savage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 09/09/12 at 12:55:58

Alright.  Good info guys.  I appreciate it.

Verg,
I do have a trickle charger that should work just fine, so i'll just use that I guess. I was planning on running a few very large fans on it if I were to run it, but it does sound like i'm better off just charging.

Charon,
Good point.  I think you're right.  I'll just keep the battery charged, and not start/ride it then.  Hopefully i'll be able to soon enough, and it won't matter anyway.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #6 - 09/09/12 at 13:25:39

I strongly recommend a float charger, rather than a trickle charger.  

The float charger senses the state of charge in the battery and adjusts the amperage accordingly, eventually shutting off at a full charge, maybe at 13.8 volts, then turning it back on when the voltage decrease a few tenths.

A trickle charger is just a low amp constant voltage (maybe 14.4 volts) charger that over a long time (months) will sulphate the plates inside a lead-acid battery.  

Float chargers are good for long-term, unattended battery storage, UPSs, alarms, etc.

Trickle chargers are cheaper, but you'd want to make sure they didn't stay hooked up very long, especially on the typically small motorcycle battery.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #7 - 09/09/12 at 13:36:38

Put it on a 2 amp charger over night,It will be good for at least 4 months,I wouldn't start it at all while it sets.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
tizzyfit

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 09/09/12 at 16:43:57

bill67 wrote on 09/09/12 at 13:36:38:
Put it on a 2 amp charger over night,It will be good for at least 4 months,I wouldn't start it at all while it sets.

Bill, are you suggesting the removal of the battery before/after the 2 amp overnight charge?  If the battery is fully charged and connected to the motorcycle, are you suggesting it will NOT discharge for 4 months? Oh, and why wouldn't you start it at all while it sits?

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #9 - 09/09/12 at 17:59:00

Just charge the battery in the motorcycle,It want discharge,Starting the motorcycle is a cold start where they say most of the wear is,and starting it really doesn't help it at all.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #10 - 09/09/12 at 18:20:42

bill67 wrote on 09/09/12 at 17:59:00:
Just charge the battery in the motorcycle,It want discharge,Starting the motorcycle is a cold start where they say most of the wear is,and starting it really doesn't help it at all.

Guess you never heard of the inherent self discharge rate of pretty much all battery chemistries.  AGM is about 1% to 3% per month and SLA are from about 1% to 5% per month.   AGM batteries do much better at storage then SLA batteries.  SLA batteries will need a topping charge every so often to keep the plates from Sulfation  where as AGM batteries don't have this issue but you still should either keep them on float charge or check it every now and then and recharge once the battery drops to about 70% charge state.

Here is an article from battery university on proper storage of batteries.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_store_batteries

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #11 - 09/09/12 at 18:24:25

rfw2003 wrote on 09/09/12 at 18:20:42:
bill67 wrote on 09/09/12 at 17:59:00:

Guess you never heard of the inherent self discharge rate of pretty much all battery chemistries.  AGM is about 1% to 3% per month and SLA are from about 1% to 5% per month.   AGM batteries do much better at storage then SLA batteries.  SLA batteries will need a topping charge every so often to keep the plates from Sulfation  where as AGM batteries don't have this issue but you still should either keep them on float charge or check it every now and then and recharge once the battery drops to about 70% charge state.

R.F.

RF I'm only 73 years old haven't had must experience with batteries will they Shocked you.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Blue04Savage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 09/09/12 at 18:43:48

Sounds good.  Everyone, thank you for the info.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 09/09/12 at 21:44:16

Blue, if the battery is very low, a float charger will get hot trying to bring it up. Theyre meant to maintain a battery not resurrect one,
If you havent checked the water in it, do so.
If you take it to an auto parts for a test, theyll charge it up, then test it. Then you can take it home & put it on a float charger,

It sounds all neat sayin a battery wont go dead for 4 months & all,, but not all batteries got the memo.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #14 - 09/10/12 at 06:43:34

We talk of trickle chargers verses float/maintainer chargers,.......

In reality, I don't believe you can buy any small 1-2 amp trickle charger that is not a maintainer/float charger,....one that is not designed to leave on a battery all the time,....nor has any been on the market in at least 10 yrs.
If you are not sure of your older charger, trickle or float, just check the finish voltage,....it must not exceed 13.2-4 maximum (in warmer weather) If it exceeds this voltage, it is not a maintainer/float charger, and should not be left connected for more than 24 hrs, or it will cause gassing, and will loose water rapidly.

Note:
in cold weather, a float voltage of 14 and more can be used w/o gassing.
That is why in a perfect world, all of our chargers would be temperature regulated, making for very expensive chargers.

A lead acid battery should be charged every 30 days, or left on a float charger.... if you want the longest life out of it (no matter what Bill thinks) Smiley

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 21:55:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Question on battery charging.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.