Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
BCB drag pipe (Read 347 times)
TROX

More ideas than $$$

Temple, TX
BCB drag pipe
09/07/12 at 13:42:38

I bought the BCB drag pipe kit and it comes with a DVD showing how to install it. In the video he shows himself wrapping the header pipe while it's on the bike. To me this seems kind of like a hassle trying to work around everything. Has anyone else wrapped their header pipe and if so, did you do it on your bike or with the pipe removed ?  Thanks for any responses.

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: BCB drag pipe
Reply #1 - 09/07/12 at 13:51:53

I've never done it... so take that for what it's worth, but it sure seems to me that it would be easier to do with the pipe OFF of the bike.
If you just ordered a new pipe, and you know you want to wrap it; I'd say do that first, and then install the pipe.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 09/07/12 at 13:55:39

teabowl13 wrote on 09/07/12 at 13:51:53:
I've never done it... so take that for what it's worth, but it sure seems to me that it would be easier to do with the pipe OFF of the bike.
If you just ordered a new pipe, and you know you want to wrap it; I'd say do that first, and then install the pipe.

Of course it'd be easier to it off the bike.  and you'd get a more consistent wrap.  But, to each his own.  maybe someone bet he couldn't do it.   Cool

WWW   IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #3 - 09/07/12 at 14:07:14

I've seen some pretty sketchy things out of BCB and RYCA. Just because these guys are professionals doesn't mean they know the best(right) way for everything. If your common sense starts tingling, it's probably right.

IP Logged
TROX

More ideas than $$$

Temple, TX
Reply #4 - 09/07/12 at 16:04:47

Nah, this guy in the DVD he sent even says this is the first time he's doing it and his voice doesn't sound confident at all. Where it seemed real tight to wrap was when he got right passed the foot peg, plus I don't want to have to pull off my Ed L's if I don't have to. I'm going to try it off the bike and I'll post how it goes.

IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #5 - 09/07/12 at 17:28:32

I wrapped mine while it was on the bike. Just take your time and follow the instructions (getting wrap wet first).

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
TROX

More ideas than $$$

Temple, TX
Reply #6 - 09/07/12 at 18:41:55

Bravo you didn't have problems getting it through the lower part of the engine and the pipe ? I saw where he said be patient and work it through. I also remember him saying get it wet first, but it still seems like it would be easier off the bike. I found a website that you could ship your exhaust to and they would wrap it and send it back, which I think is a total scam, it's not that hard to wrap, but they are wrapping it off the bike. I do appreciate the response. I am gonna try it off the bike first, but if for some reason it's hard to keep still and wrap I will mount it.

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #7 - 09/07/12 at 18:43:44

I picked up a wrap set off EBay (enough to do from header to the end of my pipe) and I'm going to pull it when I tackle the job.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #8 - 09/07/12 at 19:06:13

Why do you want to wrap the pipe?

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Kilgore Trout
YaBB Newbies

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #9 - 09/07/12 at 19:43:20

Trox,
Nothing to add in the way of help here. I'm just hoping you might be able to record it running once the new pipe is installed. To my knowledge there is no bcb drag pipe in the "savage sounds" over in the tech section, and I'm kind of curious as to what it sounds like. I know there's a youtube video on the bcb Web site of one of their 650's running, but it's really hard to tell what the pipe sounds like because the video was shot riding along side the bike and the wind noise is terrible.

"If they give you ruled paper, write the other way." -Juan Ramòn Jiménez
  IP Logged
brucey
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Reply #10 - 09/07/12 at 20:07:21

I did it while it was on the bike, it actually is pretty easy. Just take off the heat shield.

IP Logged
Johnny57

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Minneapolis
Reply #11 - 09/07/12 at 20:12:10

I wrapped mine on the bike.  They wrap from the head to back.  I learned from previous experience to wrap from the back to front to keep folds away from the wind.  Just look at their bike pictures or video to know where to start on the pipe if you do it the way I did it.  They probably know better at BCB but had no way of getting people to start where they did and people probably would complain that they did not have enough wrap.  Do it as they do it on video and that problem goes away.  If you start too far back and wrap with folds too close you run the risk of running out of wrap.  Someone asked of the sound.  I have listened to all of them and think it sounds exactly like the RAASK?  Great sound anyhow.  Sounds just like a 1960s BSA but not extremely loud.  Very appropriate.  When I first got on your site I was surprised that more were not raving about it.  The price is reasonable also I do believe and they did design it for the SAVAGE.  At this point, I have not rejetted and it runs well enough; maybe a little sensitive to weather changes etc. but for now I am living with it.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #12 - 09/07/12 at 20:23:25

Why do you guys use these header sweaters?

IP Logged
Johnny57

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Minneapolis
Reply #13 - 09/07/12 at 20:27:00

Gyrobob:

Try some new things once in awhile!

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #14 - 09/07/12 at 20:41:46

Johnny57 wrote on 09/07/12 at 20:27:00:
Gyrobob:

Try some new things once in awhile!

Well, that's a good reason.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 12:21:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › BCB drag pipe

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.