07 One piece seat (Read 179 times)
John C
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Covington,TN (near Memphis)
07 One piece seat
09/07/12 at 09:17:48

Okay, so I did a decent version of the seat mod, raising it about inches. While it's comfortable,the biggest issue that I have now is the design of the back part of the driver seat. I feel like I need to be sitter lower and back, and my butt just can't do it. My lower back and the top of my butt go number on the way home. Has anyone shaved\shaped a one piece seat to make it deeper or sit farther back?  Or am I better off getting an airhawk 2 or something along those lines?

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Re: 07 One piece seat
Reply #1 - 09/07/12 at 13:59:42

Get the Corbin. Hands down the best thing you can do for your bum and lower back.http://www.corbin.com/suzuki/ss40.shtml

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 09/07/12 at 14:23:48

maybe you went too far.  cut the spacer in half.

WWW   IP Logged
John C
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 09/07/12 at 17:49:20

Is  there a less expensive option? One between 50-100?  I should have put that in initially.

IP Logged
John C
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: 07 One piece seat (update)
Reply #4 - 09/13/12 at 19:34:51

Okay, so to update anyone who cares Smiley, I went ahead and shaped it. I didn't have $100 bones to throw at it, so I approached it from the stand point of "what hurts"(tailbone), "where should my legs rest" (on my cheeks), and "how do I accomplish this (electric turkey carving knife).  

Here's what I did.

After taking the seat off, I took the cover off (flat blade and a pair of needlen nose pliers are wonderful) and tenderly removed the plastic cover, wanting to save what I could later.

I took the uncovered seat and put it back on the bike. I noted where the pressure was. Went inside, took a black sharpie marker and drew.

Then I took my electric knife and started cutting, first with big chunks, the smaller as I went along. Once I thought I was done, I went back out to my bike, put the seat on it, and sat. Still not far enough back and a little pressure. More carving.

After it was all said and done, it ended up looking like this:

And this:

I ended up removing this match padding:

I was able to put the plastic back over it, put the seat cover back on it (although it is a bit tight where I cut it out...but I can buy fabric if I want to fix that part...not a biggee). Went out to the bike and sat on it. Wow...what a difference. One thing I would note: I did go to home depot and buy some of the furniture pads that look like hockey pucks, cut them in half, and put one on either side of the bars of the seat. Raised it another inch.

I'll find out tomorrow if it really worked for me on my ride to and from work...but worst case scenario, if it doesn't, I've now got enough space where I could put a good gel seat on it for a nicer feel.

Total time: two hours, including bathing my boys, running to my in laws for the staple gun, and a drink. So really, about an hour. Not bad.

(I apologize in advance for the size of the photos. They were taken with my cell phone...and I didn't want to resize them.

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #5 - 09/14/12 at 04:47:57

Thanks John, nice write up  Smiley

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
misterbbq

Acworth, GA
Reply #6 - 09/16/12 at 12:26:23

great write up!

but quick question....when you raised your one piece seat up, did you build a new 'bridge' to rest the plastic tab under the nose of the seat on?  i'm not sure what to use to actually raise up the nose part.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 09/16/12 at 12:43:46

WWW   IP Logged
misterbbq

Acworth, GA
Reply #8 - 09/16/12 at 14:59:11

ok...i'm a dummy.  once you raise it up, the seat itself is sitting on the bracket and the little 'lip' still slides underneath it.

thanks!

(ps...i still feel stupid but feel better for asking Wink )

IP Logged
misterbbq

Acworth, GA
Reply #9 - 09/17/12 at 16:21:18

not that anybody asked.....but i used 1.5" spacers from lowes:

under where the rubber bumpers hit the frame, i added 2 1x4 furniture pad things (they're self adhesive).  so the seat has some support where those bumpers would normally hit.  figured since i'm currently at 270 it could use a little extra support.

much mo betta!!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:26:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 07 One piece seat

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.