Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hard Day, Selling the Savage (Read 89 times)
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Hard Day, Selling the Savage
09/06/12 at 23:46:40

Well the last 48 hours have been taxing. I just arrived in Florida for Flight School for the Navy. Lots of traveling, a tight schedule with checking in and trying to find a place to live, and not a lot of sleep. That's been the fun part actually. The bad part is during the process I've had to decide whether or not to sell my Savage. The movers pick my stuff up tomorrow afternoon from my original home where I just graduated college.

A day or so ago, a close friend in college I ride with made an offer for the Savage. He wants to buy it for his wife as she wants a bike to learn on and call her own. Push comes to shove, she has always had a wandering eye for my Savage.  Wink

It was my first bike and I gripped with not letting it go for the better part of a day. It was my first bike, and I got it for a steal. a 2001 with 5,000 miles for $1,500 bucks.  Shocked Loaded it onto a trailer, got it registered, and in a day I was taking my first nerve wrecking steps onto the open road. It was a summer of bliss after that. Nothing came close to riding down to the train depot downtown with a friend late at night to watch the coal trains shuffle by. Or late riding adventures to go see whatever girl I was trying to impress with my chrome and backfires.

I learned to use a wrench with this bike. I replaced the exhaust with the HD Dyna, re jetted, did the petcock fix, fixed the oil leak, added the Gold Plug, replaced the handle bars with drag bars, added a K&N Cone, and threw on some new shoes in the form of Metzler 880s. Even made up a bracket to keep the license plate from tearing off due to vibrations. All mechanical firsts which tremendously built my confidence and allowed me to venture into working on other things. My tool set is growing at a splendid pace. Maid Marian was her name.

I eventually bought something bigger that mimicked the Savage's styling, an 03 HD Sportster 1200. The bike fits better, is louder, more powerful, and a blast to ride. It never replaced the Savage though, as nothing has the same Savage charm. The Savage gave me enough confidence to do all the work thus far on my new Harley.

Well college graduation came, I commissioned into the Navy, and my day to depart for flight school arrived. I flirted with the idea of selling the bike all summer. It would be useful in helping to pay down college loans as well as get some investments started, or even buy some furniture now that I'm living 1,000 miles away on my own. I still have the Harley and it is going with me. But alas, with the busy and rigorous schedule of flight school I don't think I have the time to maintain and put miles on 2 bikes. Flight school really needs to be priority number one.

I was reluctant to sell for sentimental sake, but in the end it seems like the right thing to do. I would rather the Savage make someone I know happy, stay on the road back home, and parked in a garage with its original friends. This may be my only opportunity to sell to a friend and keep it at least at arms length. So I told him if once his wife gets it cleaned up if she could send me some sharp looking pictures for me to make a mosaic, we would have a deal. It was a tough decision, seeing as that I don't NEED to money, it just isn't very practical to have two bikes at this stage. In the end though, I know it may make a friend as happy as it has made me. And it may make some of you very happy as well, as there may be a new female member registering soon. Albeit a married one.  Cool

Now please, do share stories of regrets of selling your first bike so I can regret my  decision.  Grin

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Re: Hard Day, Selling the Savage
Reply #1 - 09/07/12 at 00:26:57

Congratulations on flight school. Pensacola? Let her know you'd like it back if she decides to sell later. She may not ride it much and if she does that's better than having it sit and develope problems.

I sold my Kawasaki 1969 H-1 500 for three times what it was going to cost me to replace one CDI unit. (They had three) Sold it to friends at dealership. I was ready for the 1972 H-2 750, so no regrets. But I would dearly love another H-2 restored to perfection for $500, of course.  Wink

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #2 - 09/07/12 at 04:02:22

Sold my '37 Enfield Super Sport to help finance college.  

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Reply #3 - 09/07/12 at 05:42:22

Well turn of events actually... the friend decided he and his wife needed to get tires on the truck. So the ability to buy a bike is factored out of the question for now. He apologized for the decision making agony he put me through! It certainly made  the decision easier.

Looks like it I need to re evaluate my garage space lol.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 09/07/12 at 06:10:00

Are you gonna mothball it?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 09/07/12 at 06:23:10

I haven't found it in me yet to part with my Savage.

--Steve

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #6 - 09/07/12 at 06:27:25

Wake51 wrote on 09/07/12 at 05:42:22:
Well turn of events actually... the friend decided he and his wife needed to get tires on the truck. So the ability to buy a bike is factored out of the question for now. He apologized for the decision making agony he put me through! It certainly made  the decision easier.

Looks like it I need to re evaluate my garage space lol.

Seeing how it is they are close friends. you might consider a lend/lease arrangement with them.  She gets the bike to learn on (so much $ a month?). you get it back when it fits your life circumstances again.  Of course, they need to pay maintenance, repairs, etc.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 15:27:27

General CategoryThe Cafe › Hard Day, Selling the Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.