Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How close is hinduism to the bible (Read 74 times)
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

How close is hinduism to the bible
09/06/12 at 21:02:48

AKA stump a hindu.

Most of y'all are probably sick of hearing me talk about hinduism and the creation of man. OK so here is a question you can stump a hindu with, 99% of them dont know what we are supposed to believe in. 99% of the left over 1% cannot name the first person as per hinduism. My grandma and both my wife's grandma's could not. Hinduism, where every superstition has a practical reason has this to say about the first man on earth -

Hinduismhas several creation accounts, of which the central is found in the Rig Veda[see next page] of the Cosmic Man, Purusha, who was sacrificed by the Gods to create man. The Purusha is a divine emanation of God, and can be understood in at least one sense as the individuation of consciousness, the personal aspect of God. It is this individuated consciousness that is offered and divided by the Gods to create all of the physical universe, men, animals and plants. Three-fourths of the Purusha remains "ascended high" and only "one fourth took birth again down here," as the hymn explains, meaning what we see is only one-fourth of reality, the remaining being in divine form.

Needless to say - it says nothing about women ... there by we are to believe population control was already on the minds of the gods ?

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: How close is hinduism to the bible
Reply #1 - 09/07/12 at 08:54:19

That one takes a bit more imagination than "he popped up out of the dirt"...
...  Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #2 - 09/07/12 at 23:55:13

Are you a vegetarian because of your religion or are you doing it for health reasons? I know very little about hinduism. Different religions interest me. Most of the worlds greatest religions teach the same basic truths. Its hard to believe its accidental. Its man coming along and saying he's doing it in the name of religion that screws it all up. People that come along and tell you they know God's will are some of the most dangerous people on earth.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 09/08/12 at 18:08:52

I am vegetarian ? really ?

OK was till maybe I was 11-12 just cos my mom wont cook meat. My dad and me and my bro were pretty omnivorous. I ocassionally used to flirt with vegetarianism. However by 1992 when I moved to the US, it was pretty much being a carnivore.
My son had so many allergies and restrictions we had to feed him meat, else he would stave. My wife doesn't eat meat and I dont get her to cook anything that is like raw meat that needs to be cleaned and cut and cooked, I do that myself. She cooks the relatively inane meats like chicken pre cooked and processed and packaged. No meat that looks like an animal part.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 09/08/12 at 18:18:09

Hindus aren't supposed to eat beef...
Just like Jews, Christians, and Muslims aren't supposed to eat pork...

Poor chickens ain't got a friend in the world.... Grin...
Emu's neither...
"Nobody knows,... the trouble I seen,...
Nobody knows,..."
Huh...

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #5 - 09/09/12 at 18:24:46

Interesting thread.

I am a Christian, a few months ago my sunday school class decided to invest some time to learn at least a tad about other religions. Even here in backwoods Mississippi, we are getting more "international"... so we felt we at least aught to know something about the others. ( to be honest.. a few in class are with-holding attendance until we are done)

Today was my day to teach and .. my chosen religion was... Hinduism. We have a book, so I followed that but also did some web .. mostly just what was on the wiki.

I currently work with a guy.. pretty fresh "off the plane" but I also worked with another lady whom I call a friend. I am hoping to have her come talk with my class as a wrap up to my lessons.

Of what I have learned/experience.. I find it very sad the deep hate between (at least some) Indians and Pakistani.. giving they really are one people, now separated by religion. I also cant fathom the caste system still being clung too by some.

Indians are a very social people.. much more so that americans.. family.. friends... the experience of life together seems to be a driving force.

Serowbot... been a Christian all my life.. as is nearly everyone I know... you will never convince me we aren't suppose to eat pork. Heck, we had bacon for mens breakfast this morn .. we cooked it at church! And most of the rednecks around here will kill and eat anything that dont kill them first.  (gator season opened up this weekend... guess where my preacher was...)

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #6 - 09/09/12 at 18:32:44

Most of all wars have been hate between religions from the beginning of religions.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 09/09/12 at 18:38:59

Pine wrote on 09/09/12 at 18:24:46:
Serowbot... been a Christian all my life.. as is nearly everyone I know... you will never convince me we aren't suppose to eat pork.

Don't look at me,.. I didn't make the rules... Huh...

Leviticus 11 - Clean and Unclean Animals
And the swine, though it divides the hoof, having cloven hooves, yet does not chew the cud, is unclean to you: Additionally, the swine has a divided hoof, but it does not chew the cud - so it is considered unkosher.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #8 - 09/10/12 at 09:40:01

Alligator is bloody yummy.
So is possum, though I dont like its lack of texture.
Deer is delish as well, though the american way of making it is better. The Mexican way is to not bleed it out in a cooler full of ice for 3 days. Tastes more pungent like you added a few gal of vinegar bbq sauce into it.
Bison is great as well.
I'd like to try Moose, elk etc for sure. Maybe worth a trip to Montana, which is where I got bison, I should have looked harder and found a local diner where they had elk and/or moose.

Hindu's have several branches ... and some of em eat meat even religiously allowed. Even they dont eat beef or pork. In India we eat chicken followed by lamb. Those buggers too dont have a friend in the world. Also most chicken in India is free range. None of these massive factories called chicken coup's.

Anyway pakisthan isn't just separated by religion from India. I believe India has a larger muslim population than pakisthan does. Or it used to till the last few years. The fact that muslims in India would rather live in India than move to Pakisthan is a major threat to Pakisthan. Pakisthan tried to pull a few 1000 over and that went very very badly. India is an actual country. Proper democracy with a revolving door of politicians doing their brand of development - much like USA.

Pakisthan is 1 aid package cut away from being a failed state.

You cant build a country on your dislike of your neighbor.

As bad as a democracy is, if you have a true democracy for long periods of time - not 1 election followed by 20 years of military rule ... eventually there will be progress.

I feel sorry for pakisthan, but in a way they cause lots of trouble and hence I would rather see them in a failed state where they get broken into 10 with none of these tribes having any real bearing on anything.
That is their ultimate destination IMHO, but till then we are in for a bumpy ride.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #9 - 09/11/12 at 07:46:22

srinath wrote on 09/10/12 at 09:40:01:
Alligator is bloody yummy.
So is possum, though I dont like its lack of texture.
Deer is delish as well, though the american way of making it is better. The Mexican way is to not bleed it out in a cooler full of ice for 3 days. Tastes more pungent like you added a few gal of vinegar bbq sauce into it.
Bison is great as well.
I'd like to try Moose, elk etc for sure. Maybe worth a trip to Montana, which is where I got bison, I should have looked harder and found a local diner where they had elk and/or moose.

Hindu's have several branches ... and some of em eat meat even religiously allowed. Even they dont eat beef or pork. In India we eat chicken followed by lamb. Those buggers too dont have a friend in the world. Also most chicken in India is free range. None of these massive factories called chicken coup's.

Anyway pakisthan isn't just separated by religion from India. I believe India has a larger muslim population than pakisthan does. Or it used to till the last few years. The fact that muslims in India would rather live in India than move to Pakisthan is a major threat to Pakisthan. Pakisthan tried to pull a few 1000 over and that went very very badly. India is an actual country. Proper democracy with a revolving door of politicians doing their brand of development - much like USA.

Pakisthan is 1 aid package cut away from being a failed state.

You cant build a country on your dislike of your neighbor.

As bad as a democracy is, if you have a true democracy for long periods of time - not 1 election followed by 20 years of military rule ... eventually there will be progress.

I feel sorry for pakisthan, but in a way they cause lots of trouble and hence I would rather see them in a failed state where they get broken into 10 with none of these tribes having any real bearing on anything.
That is their ultimate destination IMHO, but till then we are in for a bumpy ride.

Cool.
Srinath.

Agree 100% with Srinath on his social/political analisys of Pakistan.

As for the Caste System in India, my comment is "so what" ???

Most of "democratic" nations do exactly the same, with the one difference that in "democratic" nations you live in the illusion "you can be President" but if you have to flip burgers to pay for your college tuition then you will have a VERY hard time going any higher up than Floor Manager at Walmarts.

And that includes most of Europe, mind you.

On the other hand, if you can get admitted to the "proper" College, tho the "proper" Fraternity "because my Dad, my Uncles and both my Granfathers all belonged to this Fraternity" then chances are you will have a white-collar job waiting for you as you graduate, and by the time you do graduate you may even have a "free loan" to get your Master's Degree (i.e., sign a minimum wage contract with the Firm, go and study and be right back).

Law School ? Medical School ? If you follow your family's profession it's all ready and waiting for you.

The same applies to the industry and, in a way, to the military as well.

So, in India if you are in the Military caste you KNOW you will be a soldier, your Father is an Officer, you will be an Officer and your Son will be an Officer.

If you are a Priest... or a Doctor... the same.

Aristocracy... I have yet to see a poor Aristocrat, even in Nations which have been Republics for ages, and that includes the US.
Anybody from New England? Ever seen a poor Kennedy ? Or a poor bloodline descendant from the Pilgrim Fathers ?

I rest my case.

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #10 - 09/11/12 at 11:27:08

He he, I was from the time I was a sperm meant to be an engineer.
My dad was the first on his side breaking away from a long line of lawyers and accountants ... my grandpa on my mom's side was the first one on that side to break away from again you guessed it, lawyers.

All I can say is, dont underestimate the power of privilege, encouragement, and a sense of being pre ordained. That is one reason why Romney has the wealth he does ... I could have if I was still living in india, in a way I am less succesful now that I would have been if I lived in India cos I could have easily let the OK opportunities slip in favor of waiting for the good ones, and let those go in favor of the great ones. That is really the biggest reason why the poor dont ever get above lower middle class and so on.

I was and still am the prodigal son ... however I also am an engineer ... there was nothing else in the cards for me ... the whole deck was something or another engineer ... ergo as a way of being different ... I am a software engineer for a living, civil engineer by education and if I ever build myself the house I have been promising myself I will, mechanical engineer cos I am a biker, electrical and electronic tech cos well my life was too boring otherwise ... yea I am so different ...  Shocked ...

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 16:28:07

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › How close is hinduism to the bible

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.