bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: New TKAT fork brace
Reply #15 - 09/11/12 at 13:29:56

tizzyfit wrote on 09/11/12 at 13:26:43:
bill67 wrote on 09/11/12 at 11:34:57:
You see the slots where it can slide,the super brace is fixed made for the S40.I have had both,The super brace is better and stronger.Bridges are made arced not flat for a reason.And theres more pieces in the tkat,so it would give more under hard conditions.

I didn't realize we were now discussing the finer points of bridge construction.  The fork brace, your choice, is to reduce/eliminate lateral movement of a span of approximately 6".  It would appear to me, both braces are over-engineered for their intended purpose. Both braces come in parts that need to be assembled.  Take a close look at the TKAT brace, notice the Alan head bolts in each of the 4 corners?  Now then, compare that anchoring system to that of the Super Brace......See any difference?  Notice the difference in the thickness of the two braces?  Common sense would suggest the thicker components would flex less than components 50% thinner, wouldn't you agree?  Here's a simple experiment you can try in order to grasp my point.  Find an anvil, now then, try and bend it?  Any luck?  Now then, get a hacksaw blade  out, place your thumb and fore-finger on each end and try and bend it. Fairly easy to bend, isn't it?  Could it be, had the hacksaw blade been as thick as the anvil, it wouldn't have bent?  

When you have used both then tell me which one is best and why.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #16 - 09/11/12 at 15:37:09

I bet part of it is also the fact that you simply have it mounted on there gives you the feeling that it MUST be better just because it is there. I never had one on my bike so I don't know, BUT I heard people say that they could tell a difference and I heard others that said they couldn't. That suggests to me that it cannot be that dramatic.

IP Logged
tizzyfit

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 09/11/12 at 15:51:16

bill67 wrote on 09/11/12 at 13:29:56:
You see the slots where it can slide,the super brace is fixed made for the S40.I have had both,The super brace is better and stronger.Bridges are made arced not flat for a reason.And theres more pieces in the tkat,so it would give more under hard conditions.

I didn't realize we were now discussing the finer points of bridge construction.  The fork brace, your choice, is to reduce/eliminate lateral movement of a span of approximately 6".  It would appear to me, both braces are over-engineered for their intended purpose. Both braces come in parts that need to be assembled.  Take a close look at the TKAT brace, notice the Alan head bolts in each of the 4 corners?  Now then, compare that anchoring system to that of the Super Brace......See any difference?  Notice the difference in the thickness of the two braces?  Common sense would suggest the thicker components would flex less than components 50% thinner, wouldn't you agree?  Here's a simple experiment you can try in order to grasp my point.  Find an anvil, now then, try and bend it?  Any luck?  Now then, get a hacksaw blade  out, place your thumb and fore-finger on each end and try and bend it. Fairly easy to bend, isn't it?  Could it be, had the hacksaw blade been as thick as the anvil, it wouldn't have bent?  

Why bother, they are both over-engineered.  There is absolutely nothing to gain but stroking some fools ego, by trying both.  The fact of the matter is and remains, you can't bend an anvil, unless of course, you sprinkle sea foam or klutz on it, I guess. Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #18 - 09/11/12 at 16:12:25

tizzyfit wrote on 09/11/12 at 15:51:16:

Why bother, they are both over-engineered.  There is absolutely nothing to gain but stroking some fools ego, by trying both.  The fact of the matter is and remains, you can't bend an anvil, unless of course, you sprinkle sea foam or klutz on it, I guess. Grin Grin Grin

Good point you got there,I'm going to make a hacksaw blade out of a anvil,Thanks.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #19 - 09/11/12 at 16:24:46

I have been wanting to see a "blind" test of a fork brace. Using a professional rider who at least should be able to tell the difference, fit a bike with a fork brace and hide it with, say, a leather cover. Test ride the bike. Then do whatever it takes to disable or remove the brace, but leave the leather cover in place so the rider cannot see it. Retest, and see if that rider can tell the difference. Have the rider test the bike several times, but without knowing whether the brace is operable or not. Might be interesting to do it with an "average" rider, and perhaps a new rider as well.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
tizzyfit

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 09/11/12 at 16:40:49

bill67 wrote on 09/11/12 at 16:12:25:

Grin Grin Grin Grin

Good point you got there,I'm going to make a hacksaw blade out of a anvil,Thanks.

Your logic is absolutely mind numbingly stupid.  Why would anyone destroy a perfectly good anvil when they could buy a hacksaw blade at Lowe's, Home Depot or, I'm sure your favorite, Wal-Mart, for about $1.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #21 - 09/11/12 at 16:48:23

You gave me the idea,I would have never thought of it without you,thanks again.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
tizzyfit

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 09/11/12 at 17:16:31

bill67 wrote on 09/11/12 at 16:48:23:
You gave me the idea,I would have never thought of it without you,thanks again.

Your welcome Bill.  I'm delighted to know that dim bulb you use for a brain can actually reason some rudimentary things out, without causing a total and complete mental meltdown.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #23 - 09/11/12 at 17:18:37

tizzyfit wrote on 09/11/12 at 16:40:49:
bill67 wrote on 09/11/12 at 16:12:25:

Grin Grin Grin Grin

Your logic is absolutely mind numbingly stupid.  Why would anyone destroy a perfectly good anvil when they could buy a hacksaw blade at Lowe's, Home Depot or, I'm sure your favorite, Wal-Mart, for about $1.

Tizzy,

Please quit feeding and petting the wildlife -- much less be going around actually insulting them or arguing with them (pointless).

Nothing reinforces their bad behavior worse than "discussing it" with them.  This opens you up to getting your various buttons pushed which only starts another go round of verbal nonsense.

Just stop .....
  the response chain up on top of this post is Bill counting coup on you (6 times in a row he got you to come back at him).

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
TROX

More ideas than $$$

Temple, TX
Reply #24 - 09/11/12 at 18:12:01

OK, so I'm in the process of bobbing my bike and so I have removed my front fender. It's probably just in my head, but did that take any support out of the forks at all and would a brace be good in this situation. Oh and one more question, the TKAT site only shows the brace for the Yamaha XS line of motorcycles, I'm guessing it's the same dimensions as our bikes ?  Sorry to change the subject, I know there was some kind of battle of the wits going on or something . . .    Tongue

IP Logged
feelinjunky

No Comment

NJ
Reply #25 - 09/11/12 at 18:31:44

ralfyguy wrote on 09/11/12 at 15:37:09:
I bet part of it is also the fact that you simply have it mounted on there gives you the feeling that it MUST be better just because it is there. I never had one on my bike so I don't know, BUT I heard people say that they could tell a difference and I heard others that said they couldn't. That suggests to me that it cannot be that dramatic.

Yup.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #26 - 09/11/12 at 18:34:12

Most bobbers go bare as appearance is everything to the bobber crew.

Yes, you did away with some designed in support since our front fender is beefed up a little bit with an integral top strap support effect.

Do bobber guys care?   Not really .....

Do they seem to miss it?   Not really .....

Smiley

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #27 - 09/11/12 at 19:46:45

What OF said described me exactly. I'm not corner-carving with my bobber, it's just to cruise, I couldn't care less.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #28 - 09/12/12 at 00:05:05

& the bottom 1/3rd of my pegs are ground away & I say a fork brace matters/

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
lacon
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Knoxville, TN
Reply #29 - 09/12/12 at 02:09:19

TROX,
I'm 99% sure they are not the same.  If you order one, you will be asked to be specific on what you want it for.
Is a Superbrace better?  For the price difference I would hope so, but I didn't see it being worth the extra $65 for my purposes.   Check out both & decide for yourself.  I happen to prefer the TKAT design.  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 02:21:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New TKAT fork brace

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.