Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
RYCA ENGINE MOUNTING BOLTS?? (Read 91 times)
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

RYCA ENGINE MOUNTING BOLTS??
09/06/12 at 13:54:02

HEY RYCA GUYS...
I need to find a source for the Engine mounting bolts that are used with the RYCA kit. I s'pose I could email Casey and see if he'll sell me some, but I'm wondering what exactly comes with the kit?

I need much shorter versions of the two front engine mounting bolts...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: RYCA ENGINE MOUNTING BOLTS??
Reply #1 - 09/06/12 at 14:05:22

Take one to the local Nut & Bolt store & ask if they can order some.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 09/07/12 at 05:30:19

I can think of several possibilities - I don't know what works best for you.

Contact RYCA and buy theirs.

Find the length you need and see if Fastenal, MSC, McMaster-Carr, Graingers or similar places have what you need.

Use metric or US threaded rod and use cap nuts on both ends.

Cut and re-thread your existing bolts (This usually doesn't work too well as the bolts have been hardened after the threads were rolled).  It is tough to cut new threads as the diameter of the unthreaded portion is usually just a bit too big for the die, and the hardened metal is tough to cut cleanly with a die.

Cut your bolts in the middle and take out a section - then weld them back together in the middle and grind/machine the welds down.  You would probably need to make a jig to help you weld them - I use a piece of angle iron and lay the rod in and tack weld them after grinding a taper on the ends to allow the weld to penetrate fully.

Search through the parts list of other bikes and find bolts of the proper length and diameter.

I looked at the Suzuki Parts list and the 2 front engine bolts that hold on the footpegs are 10x323.  Fastenal offers bolts that are 10x300 and 10x280......not sure what length you need and what would work for you.

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=39191

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=39192

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 09/07/12 at 06:44:51

DAVE!
You're awesome! Thanks so much for the advice.
I really DO need to measure the length I need to see if those Fastenall bolts could work.

I am also working with a really good welder, so I may ask him about that route, but it concerns me...
Wouldn't the welding process un-do the effects of the hardening? Would it weaken the bolt, even of done really well?

RYCA doesn't have them listed on their website, but I can always email Ryan and ask. Their prices are a little steep for that kind of thing though; most of what I could have gotten from them I've found cheaper elsewhere. I'd originally thought I would be using a lot of their parts for this roadster; (it's essentially a RYCA in design, it just has different body work) but all I've gotten from them so far is their speedo cable...

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 09/07/12 at 07:40:27

I would try to get new bolts first......but if you cannot find them I would not worry too much about the welded bolts being weaker than the orignal bolts.  The bolts will still be very strong after welding, you no longer will have footpegs or a kick stand bolted to them, and the welded bolts will still only be 2 of the 5 bolts holding the engine in place (or is it 6?).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 09/07/12 at 08:54:36

Yeah, I'm definitely going to try to get new bolts, or threaded rod as a second option first... but at least I have a few options...

I'm going to Email Ryan at Ryca and see what he says too...

IP Logged
Spamy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 09/07/12 at 14:21:15

I cut mine to length and then re-threaded them with a M10x1.25 tap that cost me 5 or 6 bucks. Worked like a charm.

Making them shorter is easy, longer is a bit more work.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 23:18:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › RYCA ENGINE MOUNTING BOLTS??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.