Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Cheapskate wars... or tips for a bad economy... (Read 321 times)
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Cheapskate wars... or tips for a bad economy...
09/06/12 at 13:39:42

Grin Grin Grin...
Yea,.. I'm a cheapskate...

I just did an oil change... I save used tinfoil from cooking to reuse, covering the exhaust pipe during filter changes... (keeps the oil off the pipe)...
Grin...
I also tear paper towels in half, if I don't need a whole one... Huh...
Scandalous!...

Got any cheapy habits?...
Hmm?... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Cheapskate wars... or tips for a bad economy..
Reply #1 - 09/06/12 at 14:11:55

I also tear paper towels in half, if I don't need a whole one... Huh...
Scandalous!...

Heck yea, me too,,& if I dry the counter top & its clean, just wet, I let the towel dry & use it again,

I usually use a sponge,,but sometimes I just grab first & think later,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #2 - 09/06/12 at 15:00:24

I smoke a pipe, and to save a bit of money I take the "wattle" - the stuff that is left over that you scrape out of the bottom of the bowl, rinse the ash out of it, dry it, and mix it with new tobacco at about 10%. If carefully done it improves the flavor, as you are adding nicotine rich stuff to the original tobacco.
And I buy the paper towels that are already half sheets.
I also filter used oil (T6) through polyester fiber fill and use it to top up between changes.
I buy stuff on sale at the grocery store and freeze it.
I wait till tools go on sale for 1/2 price at Canadian Tire. I don't think I have ever paid full price for a tool. I have some I have never used, like a jig saw and a buffer, but I will use them, smiling all the while knowing I paid 1/2 price. Paid half price for my motorcycle jack.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #3 - 09/06/12 at 15:23:53

My family and I were green, sort of, before green was the way to be.  We have been big in the reuse department for a long time.  Cool whip containers, etc never get thrown away.  Since I started reloading, the best thing to store bullets in is a plastic peanut butter or mayo jar.  Can't always justify buying something special for a job when I have something else that will work just as well.

I am NOT cheap, I am frugal!

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #4 - 09/06/12 at 15:44:44

Hmmm. i dont think I am that much of a cheapskate myself.. however just to add flavor:

1)I pick up lead wheel weights.. which are being banned .. soon they might be worth something

2) I cast lead bullets from wheel weights (see #1)

3) I reload .38/.357 bullets ( see 1 and 2)

4) I drive a motorcycle to work daily and use it when I can instead of the truck

5)I build my own computers

6)I shop for many things on the web versus the box stores

7) I use Vonage as my phone service, and have it connect to the house phone wiring, if you didnt know you would think is was normal house wired phone

8) I DO NOT have a smart phone and thus no "data Plan"

9) I have a programmable thermostat to control the house AC/Heat.. and I program it to save me money

10) every room save the bathrooms has a ceiling fan, even the kitchen

11) I dont worry about my hair... its gets cut when the wife complains.. about once every other month cuts are $12 at the BARBER ( not that Style shop)

12) I use na electric shaver, which is now about 5 years old. I buy new blades on the web for $28... last about a year

13) i ran all my own ethernet wiring and set up multiple routers, AP's, switches and a server.

14) I make my own coffee every morn... @ $5 per cup from Starbucks.. I figure I save $15 per day!

15) all lights are CF ... excpet for the new LED one

16) i use a $99 pressure washer to wash off the roof. This keeps the leaves and crap from piling up which leads to a quicker deterioration of the shingles. Also good for the gutters and driveway.

17) i wash my own car/truck at home

18)I own and use re-chargable batteries for near about everything

19) i belong to a credit union. Visa rate is 8%, so is the personal loan. I try to keep such things to minimum...

20) At age 49, i am on my third truck since I graduated college and began my career. I average 10 years before .. some dratted event wrecks them!

21) I go not golf, hunt, fish, or go to any sporting events. I have only one club membership - shooting range @ $100 per year

22) i buy socks about once every three years.. always 10 pair of identical socks. Black.

23) I built my own fence

24) i put in outlets, lights and all wiring for a shed.

25) my lawnmower cost $99 8 years ago and runs as good as ever

26) I do  not drink enough to find any that I do expensive. I do not keep any alchol in the house. If I want a beer.. I go buy two and done.

27) I like cereal.. its good any time of day for as many meals as I do not want cook.. Oatlmeal and grits as well.

28) I make my own pimento cheese spread... with REAL cheese

29) Not divorced... I hear thats cost too much...

30) Craigslist can have some good deals.. thats where my savage came from!

31) tithe

about all I can think of....  Grin

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 09/06/12 at 19:16:50

I'm not married.

My girlfriend uses the dog's electric razor to buzz my hair.
(a year ago I bought a 75 dollar shaver/trimmer at Walmart. A Wahl brand one. It sucks, it bogs down and dies if you lean into it. The dog razor doesn't skip a beat.)

I ask for socks for birthday/Christmas. I never get Legos anymore :/

I pay the mortgage and the trade off is that my girlfriend pays for groceries so I sneak cookies and treats in there.

I'm a member of BJ's wholesale store (bulk goods for consumers) so I buy ketchup, mustard, coffee, etc in bulk.

All my lights are on timers, the bathroom fan is on a timer. The AC's were on those remote switches with the little plastic keys to set for 10 minutes before I got home from work but now that I have a dog stuck in the house I leave them on 78 and energy saver.

I disregard change in my monetary calculations but rather toss it into a 5 gallon water jug. I'm almost at the top most line before it starts to funnel down for the neck.

Not much that isn't or wouldn't be considered common sense.
Any of you guys reload 7.62x39? I can't find anyone with the dies. I've been meaning to invest in a Dillion 550 but something always comes up.

--Steve

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #6 - 09/06/12 at 19:21:39

Paraquat wrote on 09/06/12 at 19:16:50:
I'm not married.

Not much that isn't or wouldn't be considered common sense.
Any of you guys reload 7.62x39? I can't find anyone with the dies. I've been meaning to invest in a Dillion 550 but something always comes up.

--Steve

Midwayusa.com has them in stock.

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortby=1&itemsperpage=20&newcategorydimensionid...

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 09/06/12 at 19:33:59

The dies are the cheap part.
The Dillion 550 is the pricy part.
http://www.dillonprecision.com/content/p/9/pid/23594/catid/1/RL_550B

--Steve

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #8 - 09/06/12 at 19:38:44

True,  but that Dillion is a nice one

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 09/06/12 at 20:52:04

Pine

28) I make my own pimento cheese spread... with REAL cheese

Is it too much typing to drop a How To?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #10 - 09/06/12 at 21:12:17

Tuna. Lots of tuna. Good, good for you and CHEAP. I see pizza-boxes and deli-bags in the trash at work all the time and I think to myself 'I won't spend $10 all week and these guys spend $10 a day and then complain about being broke.' When I'm broke it's because I bought a new toy, not because I spent $50+ a week on myself for food.

Save everything. To all of the people that bought parts from me: Those boxes, peanuts and other packaging materials? I didn't buy those. I bought what came in that and then reused it.

Buy used. I've never bought a new car or bike, my entire entertainment system is used components and my computer is half used parts. I'd rather buy something used that works than get home with my new item only to find out it's defective and have to deal with returning it. I don't even want to get into recalls...

Repair, don't replace. Unless it's epoxied together like the CDI on our bikes, it can be repaired. Case in point: My nice pedestal fan. I always leave it on for the dog and I came home one day to find it dead. I can barely turn the blade and it won't even make a humming noise. I pull the armature out of the motor and lap the bushings then search the wiring to find a blown ceramic fuse the size of a 4-40 nut. My fan works again and has all summer.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #11 - 09/06/12 at 21:26:17

Other than some of the things you guys do that I do when relevant to my life -
I reuse shaving cream. Like the second pass, the first one gets reused plus a little more.

I also never throw away anything. I fish parts off it, I pull things off other things to use in a third ...
Like I got a GS swingarm with a bad roller bearing with a broken cage for free ... I kept that bad bearing in a sheet of paper folded stashed ... and 6 months later got a seca 2. In an attempt to get the crud off the carbs I had to cut the float pins cos they were supposedly removable, but if they broke off the pivot points the carbs were useless ... The needles in the swingarm bearing of a GS500 are a perfect fit for the seca 2's carbs float pins.
Here is some more tips that haven't been mentioned. Speaker wires+ alligator clips = motorcycle jumper cables.
Super hot peppers are a better deal for the $ than mild, cos you can use a tiny sliver and get away with it. I like the Ghost peppers. same $ as habanero but 10X hotter.
Old house speakers way better than new house speakers.
Cheng shin tires work great for a savage and most cruisers.
And here is the biggie I'd like to but dont -
Paying 13% in taxes are better than 30%.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #12 - 09/06/12 at 21:32:54

Cavi Mike wrote on 09/06/12 at 21:12:17:
Repair, don't replace. Unless it's epoxied together like the CDI on our bikes, it can be repaired. Case in point: My nice pedestal fan. I always leave it on for the dog and I came home one day to find it dead. I can barely turn the blade and it won't even make a humming noise. I pull the armature out of the motor and lap the bushings then search the wiring to find a blown ceramic fuse the size of a 4-40 nut. My fan works again and has all summer.

Hey I have split open many a CDI box and replaced a 40c transistor and had it working again. The scarcely believeable $700 MZ cdi box had $7 worth of components in it. 1 transistor was bad. I have a tester I got for $5 @ yard sale. Pulled and swapped and perfect.
I also have had pedestal fans lose lube, lose a fuse and best of all lose a cheese cube sized capacitor. swap and done, good as new. BTW my sony reel to reel also uses a capacitor that looks like a roll of dollar coins but is the same as the cheese cube available on ebay or @ most electrical places as a "fan capacitor".
What you need to ask is not "what is it" it is "what else is it".

A potted CDI can be opened up by soaking it in mek for 3 days.

Cool.
srinath.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 09/06/12 at 21:58:46

I knew I liked you guys for some reason... Grin...

The seat back on my bike is made from the lid of a VHS VCR that died... and before I threw it out,.. I took out every screw I could find, and saved the cover because it was a nice bit of tin...
My license plate bracket is made from a street sign I found in the wash...
... and my mini-flyscreen is an upside-down FF helmet face shield...
Oh... and my tail bag attaches to my seat via an old drawer handle...
... and the bar, my fork bag mounts to is from a sink drain stopper...

Re-purposing rules!... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 09/06/12 at 22:27:31

I am humbled.. you guys are GOOD..
& thank all of you, you comfort me. I no longer feel like a freak, Im just a rookie! I gotta get my wife to read this. She thinks I am the only guy on the planet who "autopsies" everything & harvests parts to use in projects.
I tell her there are others, but that none are as devoted or creative. After she reads this, she will know there are many others who do what I do, & do it better. Maybe Ill just leave her outta this..

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/13/24 at 04:49:21

General CategoryThe Cafe › Cheapskate wars... or tips for a bad economy...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.