Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
need more speed!! (Read 324 times)
renegade1

SAVAGE

Abbotsford B.C.
need more speed!!
09/06/12 at 13:08:07

when i am on the highway i try and go as fast as i can but when i get to 110/115 km/h and pull the throttle more just boggs down till i go back to previous throttle posision? would i have to upgrade my jets?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: need more speed!!
Reply #1 - 09/06/12 at 13:48:33

Most likely... are you in Europe?...
Many Savages there, have a #125 main jet...
I think this to restrict power for graduated licenses...
Not certain...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
renegade1

SAVAGE

Abbotsford B.C.
Reply #2 - 09/06/12 at 14:02:00

nope im in canada it has a 55 main 147.5 pilot just have no idea why it acts like this, it just gets to that point and drops eventually if i gradually up it (very slowly) it will do not bad but its upseting i cant just blast it and go haha isnt 130km/h (81mph) fastest is goes though haha

IP Logged
LouSiana

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hannover, Germany
Reply #3 - 09/06/12 at 14:25:04

Ah.. mmm...no! The late european Savages (I guess from '96 to 2000) had 125 main jets due to exhaust emmission regulations. Some other minor changes took place (power reduction in 2nd and 3rd gear working on carb and ignition timing).
Other changes were not made, concerning the carburetor.

Power restrictions for beginners licenses were made in europe, especially Germany, through a piece of tube to restrict the full way of the slide (positioned in the spring which holds the slide down). This does not mean the bike has not a full response on the throttle. Only missing some little hp's! (27 hp, due to a beginners insurance class)

I guess, something is wrong in the carburator. maybe sticky slide or a clogged main jet. Another possibility is an issue the engine taking unwanted air via the vacuum operated pet thingy system.

The posted symptoms in my opinion are pointing towards insufficient fuel to the engine on full throttle.

Check the vac system and also check tightening of the four small bolts holding the diaphragm backwards the petcock.

Or are there any changes or modifications made to the muffler or air filter?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 09/06/12 at 14:34:21

LouSiana wrote on 09/06/12 at 14:25:04:
Power restrictions for beginners licenses were made in europe, especially Germany, through a piece of tube to restrict the full way of the slide (positioned in the spring which holds the slide down). This does not mean the bike has not a full response on the throttle. Only missing some little hp's! (27 hp, due to a beginners insurance class)

Thanks for clearing that up, Lou...  
I always wondered what they did for restriction... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #5 - 09/06/12 at 17:28:59

If the object is simply to go fast, trade the LS650 for a faster bike. It will be much easier, and probably cheaper in the long run. Even a 250 Ninja is faster, and you can go up from there.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
renegade1

SAVAGE

Abbotsford B.C.
Reply #6 - 09/06/12 at 23:08:41

charon i couldnt even think about that i love my savage i just dont like the bogging down, and an exciting thing... Spotted two other savages/boulevard in abbotsford here. Havent seen another one here in b.c. untill three days ago but anyways just trying to see what the max  speed and if anyone has been able to upgrade for speed? would the cone filter and larger jets help with a more free flow exhaust

IP Logged
J C Stokes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 09/07/12 at 00:00:55

It's no help Renegade, but in New Zealand all our new S40s have a sticker to say that the ignition system complies with some Canadian emission standard, we even get two handbooks, one in English and one in what I assume is Quebecquois??? I brought mine new in 2010. Manufacturers plate says made in 2008. I'm wondering whether we didn't get a job lot of Canadian ones when the GFC hit. I have had the bog down problem and am running stock.

IP Logged
J C Stokes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 09/07/12 at 00:13:21

That should read, Haven't had the bog down problem.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #9 - 09/07/12 at 00:17:48

Make sure the spark plug is snug. Slightly loose plugs can cause problems. Weird, I know, but it happens and it's easy to check.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #10 - 09/07/12 at 00:31:53

renegade1 wrote on 09/06/12 at 13:08:07:
when i am on the highway i try and go as fast as i can but when i get to 110/115 km/h and pull the throttle more just boggs down till i go back to previous throttle posision? would i have to upgrade my jets?

in General it is a typical sign of a little poor fuel mixture (low level of fuel in the carburetor)/little of the main jet. or air leak in a rubber boot between the carburetor and cylinder.
respectively and the ways of solution are also two: check /fix leaks, adjust the fuel level or it is possible to set the bigger main jet .
but still a lot can tell the colour of the plug after such a trip.

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
renegade1

SAVAGE

Abbotsford B.C.
Reply #11 - 09/07/12 at 01:04:56

Well, i believe the spark  plug is nice and tight just put it in and had a white flake on it (i'll have to read spark plug in tech again to see if thats good haha)... just fixed a leak coming from the cam chain cover did the plug/cap and its been running better and changed the oil (rotella t with a booster) all leaks have dissapeared now  Grin (Hopefully i didnt just jinx myself) I'll deffinatly double check the rubber boot on the carb and the only thing i have done is put a crank case breather filter on the tube that usually goes to the air filter housing, and put a fuel filter on the fuel line that goes into bowl. I also screwed with the AFM its about 2 3/4 to 3 turns out. oh yes and moved up the slide needle to the bottom knotch so i believe thats the equivilant of the "white spacer" mod (while i took apart my carb for a good cleaning.) and J C you dont think the exhaust and cone filter would help?

IP Logged
J C Stokes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 09/07/12 at 02:52:21

Check what the experts say, I'm not techo enough to answer. There is an interesting post on some smoother running and less backfiring and most importantly, if you are doing your own tank removal, by using a Yamaha Raptor petcock

IP Logged
LouSiana

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hannover, Germany
Reply #13 - 09/07/12 at 12:15:07

Charon wrote on 09/06/12 at 17:28:59:
If the object is simply to go fast, trade the LS650 for a faster bike. It will be much easier, and probably cheaper in the long run. Even a 250 Ninja is faster, and you can go up from there.

not really an assistant post... If there's an issue with the bike, ah, just buy another one. Next owner of this boggy and buggy bike can aks for help here  Cheesy

If there is a problem, it can be fixed. I wouldn't trade my Savage's for some random other bike. I do not need to go fast, but the promised power should be there on call. If not, something is wrong. And that could be a point of a serious damage one day.

IP Logged
LouSiana

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hannover, Germany
Reply #14 - 09/07/12 at 12:21:42

Serowbot wrote on 09/06/12 at 14:34:21:
]
Thanks for clearing that up, Lou...  
I always wondered what they did for restriction... Wink...

...my pleasure, Serowbot!  Cheesy
I had a carb from a friend here last weekend. I should have made some pictures. It's just a piece of plastic tube with a little rim down, which keeps the slide from having full way open. Maybe only 7/8 way.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 04:36:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › need more speed!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.