Send Topic Print
Oil changing question (Read 979 times)
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Oil changing question
Reply #30 - 09/07/12 at 10:05:25

John go to a Suzuki motorcycle dealer and ask him what you should use.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #31 - 09/07/12 at 10:23:52

OK,  John C  --   I'll get rid of the Bill mouse and give you the 3 cent straight answer.

Our Savage motorcycle uses a 1970-80's era antique flat tappet split rocker system to actuate the valves.  

Modern oils, motorcycle and car oils, are now formulated for catalytic converter equipped, roller tappet actuated, fuel injected engine systems --
Oil in general no longer has the levels of ZDDP necessary to support your 1987 designed Suzuki Savage.   It can't, the EPA and CAFE regulations no longer permit it.

There is still debate as to the true minimum needed ZDDP level for getting the best life out of the antique Savage cam and split fork rocker tappet system.  The current debated number is somewhere between 1,200 and 1,850 ppm of ZDDP with only the lesser number being available locally in a oil product without requiring the use of a mail order ZDDP booster (or a mail order oil).   Most of us boost the Rotella products as that is the least cost way to get up to the higher ZDDP levels.  Rotella is the only "affordable"  JASO MA oil that still hits 1,200 ppm right out of the bottle.

The key thing here is for you to use the recommended high ZDDP oils (and a ZDDP booster as you likely do need it) as all of the currently bottled locally available "motorcycle oils" have abandoned the old Savage engine and are now formulated to meet the needs of modern catalytic converter equipped fuel injected motorcycles.  

As far as your question thread turning into an oil war, it is no reflection on you.  All oil questions turn into oil wars -- 'ol Bill makes sure of it.  Normally we do oil wars on the churned turf of a WW1 fixed trench battlefield, but this time (since Bill was flat out fishing for responses) we took a fishing motif for this one.

The mouse was Bill, struggling to answer all them little fishies that he had called up on purpose.

But I can see how you could personalize it, seeing that you had no idea what sort of chaos that could come from your innocent question.   But remember,  it wasn't you in the water, it was Billum.

And, this was a nicer kinder oil war BTW -- no flame throwers nor nuclear weapons were used as was done in times past.

==================

And for those who have lingering doubts about the one legged guy in the float chair, do you have any idea at all how DURN BIG them little swarming toothy fishies can get once they get 10 or more years of age on them while living in a larger river?

Scary, ain't it?

This is the swarming red belly pirana "all growed up" at 10-15 years old  .....

..... and this is it's deep river cousin, the tiger fish
(which just keeps on growing and getting bigger, and bigger, and bigger)

« Last Edit: 09/07/12 at 12:11:27 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #32 - 09/07/12 at 10:33:57

bill67 wrote on 09/07/12 at 10:05:25:
John go to a Suzuki motorcycle dealer and ask him what you should use.

+2

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #33 - 09/07/12 at 10:41:47

Bill, do you remember what the last guy who went to a Suzuki dealership and asked them about a ZDDP rich oil got told?

"Huh?"

Suzuki brand oil is a 800 ppm SM car oil, currently rated at MA2 (good for catalytic converter equipped bikes, but not any good for the split rocker flat tappet Savage).

==================================

Dude, you are also voting +1 and +2 at the same time on your own comment.     This is sorta cheat'n ain't it -- especially since there was only one white mouse and he isn't around any more to do any voting.  

Or are you voting once for each of the major mouse pieces?   If so, you can wait a day and vote lots & lots more times.     Cheesy    

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #34 - 09/07/12 at 11:04:56

Unless Bill has something more substantial to say than +2,  maybe we should move on to the sentencing stage of things.

Calling the KANGAROO KOURT into session ....

(Hizzhonour Justin the Just presiding)

Your Honor, Bill has fished him up yet another oil war while offering NO FACTS or DATA of any sort to support his position.   Indeed, he never could seem to find his position although he did flip his one liner baits around with abandon and he got him a small swarm of fishies to respond.

I propose we revoke his fishing liscense -- penalty on next occurrence is for the moderators to take his fishing pole away from him just as soon as he starts to flippin' up yet another oil war.

What say you, your Honor?

(If your Honor wishes, you can borrow my wire clippers and my small pliers to get that nasty #3 treble hook out of your lips so you can speak the sentence clearly without being in any pain.)

Wink

« Last Edit: 09/07/12 at 15:53:26 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #35 - 09/07/12 at 16:00:06

I would use suzuki oil before a oil developed for a diesel engine depending on the fuel to help lubricate the engine,Its just common sense.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #36 - 09/07/12 at 16:11:13

bill67 wrote on 09/07/12 at 16:00:06:
I would use suzuki oil before a oil developed for a diesel engine depending on the fuel to help lubricate the engine,Its just common sense.

Please explain ....  elaborate, even.  

Your Klotz was initially developed in two stroke engines that depended on the fuel to help lubricate the engine, not Rotella.

"depending on the fuel to help lubricate the engine,Its just common sense."????

Stretch it out a little, fill in a few of the aching big gaps in this statement.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #37 - 09/07/12 at 16:27:07

I went to Wal Mart today,Went up to the automobile counter ask if they had motorcycle oil,they said no they used to but there wasn't enough demand for it.Went over and looked at the oil,And guess what they had OF's diesel oils. Grin Grin Grin.I didn't tell them I new of a guy that used that in motorcycles,Didn't want them to laugh  at me and think I was dumber than I look.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #38 - 09/07/12 at 16:32:12

bill67 wrote on 09/07/12 at 16:27:07:
I went to Wal Mart today,Went up to the automobile counter ask if they had motorcycle oil,they said no they used to but there wasn't enough demand for it.Went over and looked at the oil,And guess what they had OF's diesel oils. Grin Grin Grin

Guess you really are so dense that you can't even read the Rotella bottles.  They are not Diesel oils, they are in fact Heavy Duty Engine Oils. HDEO's can be used in both gas and diesel engines.

RF

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #39 - 09/07/12 at 16:48:29

rfw2003 wrote on 09/07/12 at 16:32:12:
bill67 wrote on 09/07/12 at 16:27:07:
I went to Wal Mart today,Went up to the automobile counter ask if they had motorcycle oil,they said no they used to but there wasn't enough demand for it.Went over and looked at the oil,And guess what they had OF's diesel oils. Grin Grin Grin

Guess you really are so dense that you can't even read the Rotella bottles.  They are not Diesel oils, they are in fact Heavy Duty Engine Oils. HDEO's can be used in both gas and diesel engines.

RF

Look up Shell
diesel oil see what you come up with,Look up shell motorcycle oil see what you come up with. That OK, Klotz has motorcycle oil and they have diesel oil too.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #40 - 09/07/12 at 17:54:10

Oh my, the stuff Bill will make up completely out of his own head and then go type it into his keyboard .....

Bill, this is a simple Walmart search for motorcycle oil .....

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?ic=16_0&search_query=motorcycle+oil

I can refine it for just my store and it looks like this:

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?ic=16_0&search_query=motorcycle+oi...

As you can see, Walmart shows that it stocks 3 different motorcycle oils at my store, one is good for roller cam roller rocker dry clutch Harleys and the other two are good for wet clutch Savages with antique style split rocker flat tappets.

Cheesy

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #41 - 09/07/12 at 17:55:07

rfw2003 wrote on 09/07/12 at 16:32:12:

RF

If it weren't for this, no would talk to bill, so...

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #42 - 09/07/12 at 18:01:59

Verslagen,  I think we should start clipping Bill's casting line every time he starts bait casting him up another oil war.

Whirrrrrrrr .......  plunk !      crank crank crank      <clip>     ....... silence

Since it's trollish baiting... YES!-v1

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #43 - 09/07/12 at 18:30:54

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 09/07/12 at 17:54:10:

Oh my, the stuff Bill will make up completely out of his own head and then go type it into his keyboard .....

Bill, this is a simple Walmart search for motorcycle oil .....

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?ic=16_0&search_query=motorcycle+oil

I can refine it for just my store and it looks like this:

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?ic=16_0&search_query=motorcycle+oi...

As you can see, Walmart shows that it stocks 3 different motorcycle oils at my store, one is good for roller cam roller rocker dry clutch Harleys and the other two are good for wet clutch Savages with antique style split rocker flat tappets.

Cheesy

I looked up your walmart motorcycle oil they showed motorcycle oil then a diesel oil5w/30w rotella,Thats what I've been telling you.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #44 - 09/07/12 at 19:14:15

Who cares whether or not we can ever get bill enlightened?  We (except for bill) all know the following:
-- Rotella T6 is validated as a motorcycle oil for our motorcycles
-- No oil works better
-- Some may work as well, but cost many times as much
-- Rotella T6 is widely available
-- We have enough engineering expertise around here to stay on top of the zddp situation in Rotella T6

I'll keep using Rotella T6, mixed with 3 oz of Redline per gallon, until someone here brings up new information.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 12:31:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil changing question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.