Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Oil changing question (Read 979 times)
renegade1

SAVAGE

Abbotsford B.C.
Re: Oil changing question
Reply #15 - 09/06/12 at 14:08:30

I went with shell rotella t and did a two ounce shot of booster into it( into the whole bottle (5L)), according to the zddp rating chart on this site i should have around 1550 zddp. Did not use REDLINE booster though, i went with LUCAS booster because i know the guys at the shop where i live. not to sure how different REDLINE is compared to LUCAS boosters though.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #16 - 09/06/12 at 14:55:36

Whammo !!!     Bursting out of the lilly pads, the Justin bass hits the sputter plug, and Bill sets the hook into the wily fish's lip with a skilled flip of the rod tip .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #17 - 09/06/12 at 15:00:45

Renegade1,

Lucas does not recommend their booster for wet clutch motorcycle engines because it contains poly chain esters, thickeners and "cling promoters",  all of which do funky things to your wet clutch.

Your buds who use it in car engines do not care about these things because they have dry plate clutches or auto transmissions with separate oil supplies.

Ask your expert buds how you are going to get the stuff out of your clutch, perhaps their expertise extends to that knowledge as well.   So far nobody here has ever figured that one out, other than stripping the plates out and scrubbing them with solvent and then sanding the steel plates with a finishing sander.

Go read the recommended oils and boosters listing here on the list, all you new persons.    
We keep it in the new person's section at the very tippy top of RSD so it is easy to find.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1344399573

It is there to keep you from doing stuff like this to yourselves.  

Tongue

« Last Edit: 09/07/12 at 04:28:35 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #18 - 09/06/12 at 16:02:50

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/06/12 at 13:56:16:
BIg difference between "going cheap" & purchasing a well researched item with a proven track record that isnt "cheap" it just doesnt cost a ridiculous amount of money for a lousy quart of it.
My Motorcycles have Rotella T 15/40 in them. The backhoe, the lawnmower & pickup..
Ive bveen running Rotella for at least 15 of the 20, 000 miles on the bike,, no munched bearings,, clutch works great.
Bill happily ignores the facts about Rotella & says its just a Diesel oil,,

Well,, what engines are more hostile inside? Gas or diesel? Diesels LOAD the heck out of the bearings, as they crush the air in the cylinder to the point the diesel ignites,,think about it,,

JOG I've had diesels engines in bobcats and I used diesel oil not motorcycle oil,In motorcycles I use motorcycle oil the best I can get,No additives needed.I even use car oil in cars the best I can get,Not diesel or motorcycle oil.Its really pretty simply.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #19 - 09/06/12 at 16:05:57

renegade1 wrote on 09/06/12 at 14:08:30:
I went with shell rotella t and did a two ounce shot of booster into it( into the whole bottle (5L)), according to the zddp rating chart on this site i should have around 1550 zddp. Did not use REDLINE booster though, i went with LUCAS booster because i know the guys at the shop where i live. not to sure how different REDLINE is compared to LUCAS boosters though.

Better put some magnets in the engine to get the metal junks.Otherwise your engine  will go kupunk.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #20 - 09/06/12 at 16:20:02

bill67 wrote on 09/06/12 at 16:02:50:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/06/12 at 13:56:16:
BIg difference between "going cheap" & purchasing a well researched item with a proven track record that isnt "cheap" it just doesnt cost a ridiculous amount of money for a lousy quart of it.
My Motorcycles have Rotella T 15/40 in them. The backhoe, the lawnmower & pickup..
Ive bveen running Rotella for at least 15 of the 20, 000 miles on the bike,, no munched bearings,, clutch works great.
Bill happily ignores the facts about Rotella & says its just a Diesel oil,,

Well,, what engines are more hostile inside? Gas or diesel? Diesels LOAD the heck out of the bearings, as they crush the air in the cylinder to the point the diesel ignites,,think about it,,

JOG I've had diesels engines in bobcats and I used diesel oil not motorcycle oil,In motorcycles I use motorcycle oil the best I can get,No additives needed.I even use car oil in cars the best I can get,Not diesel or motorcycle oil.Its really pretty simply.

My question I keep asking myself is
"Is Bill incapable of grasping this distinction, or is he just unwilling?"

Heres the deal, Bill.. You take a harsh environment & find a product that will survive in it, then put it in a less harsh environment & it will Do Great. Rotella provides protection to Diesel En gines,, & will do so for gasoline engines, also. What makes Motorcycle OIl motorcycle oil is the fact that it Lacks all the super slicky stuff that car engines use to replace the things diesels use. Back before catalytic converters, there was no need for oil to be stripped of ZDDP & other things our valve train so desperately needs.,Now, however, in order to NOT foul them out, oils have to be made differently.,So, since diesels dont have Catalytics, they can have things in them that keep an engine happy & dont screw up a wet clutch.

Please, ohh please tell me your mind is sufficiently large & flexible to be able to wrap around these complex ideas.

So, motorcycle oils are designed to accommodate a wet clutch,,that doesnt make them superior to other oils, they simply do not have the additives that the modern car needs. Diesel oil, like Rotella, not only doesnt have those additives the wet clutch cant take, it has additives our valve train needs.
Give it UP, man, run what you want, spend all that $$$, but Im getting as good of an oil for $13.00 a gallon as you are for $13.00 per oil change,maybe better,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #21 - 09/06/12 at 16:33:51

Bill, Rotella T 15w-40 dino and Rotella T 5w-40 synthetic ARE motorcycle oils.  They both have JASO MA approval, which is a Japanese motorcycle rating.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #22 - 09/06/12 at 17:31:16

Oho !!!    

Bill had him a dual lure rig up, one sputter plug following the other like a bull frog chasing a minnow -- what bass could resist that?

Now, with two big fish on his line, what will Billum do now?

Wink

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #23 - 09/06/12 at 17:38:09

He will tell us yet again that Rotella is "Diesel oil" and that we should be using "Motorsickle Oil." His mind is made up, and we should stop trying to confuse him with mere facts.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #24 - 09/06/12 at 17:44:02

Bill !!!!

Take a closer look at them fishies you is a trying to catch .... they seem to be a schooling in on you bud, getting closer and closer.   There are 3 of them now, and the two on your line are making your little one man float chair spin round and round as they wrap the line around and round your remaining leg.

Are they bass, or crappie or bream?  Catfish?  Trout?

Whut sort of fishies are them narsty looking things?   They got lots of big 'ol facts sticking outta their jaws, and them facts sure seem to be dripping & drooling that nasty 'ol data poison stuff, now don't they?

Huh

Bill, whut if them fishies start to attack you and sink them data laden facts into your poor ol posterior again?

Undecided

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #25 - 09/06/12 at 19:42:53

Charon wrote on 09/06/12 at 17:38:09:
He will tell us yet again that Rotella is "Diesel oil" and that we should be using "Motorsickle Oil." His mind is made up, and we should stop trying to confuse him with mere facts.

What is Shell Advance make for and why.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #26 - 09/06/12 at 19:59:14

Europeans, Bill, Europeans .... it "make" for Europeans, South Americans and Indochinese.

It not "make" for North Americans (not yet anyway).

It not make its way onto the VOA listings so we have no clue what is in it right now.

Some are MA2, some are MA

Likely it will be as costly as any other motorcycle oil when it gets here.

IT WON'T MAKE ROTELLA GO AWAY

Rotella will always be here to haunt you.

Grin

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 09/06/12 at 20:13:42

Now you did it. You've awakened Larry, Curly, and Moe.
You asked for a chart of ZDDP additives and I posted one.
That's it, I'm out of this thread before they break out the chemical, biological, and/or nuclear weaponry.

--Steve

IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #28 - 09/06/12 at 21:10:59

bill67 wrote on 09/06/12 at 12:31:13:
You can go with a cheap oil thats wasn't made for a motorcycle,But I found out in my life time that going cheap cost more in the long run.

Bill hasn't figured out the difference between cheap and frugal.  If he wants to put red caviar in his bike, let him.  Rotella is Jaso MA rated and has sufficient zddp for a stock motor, so that's what this poor boys using! Cool

IP Logged
John C
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Covington,TN (near Memphis)
Reply #29 - 09/07/12 at 09:12:41

Y'all have fun arguing. This noob is having none of it.

Just a heads up, but from one noob to "older folks", guys like me that aren't looking to start anything, are just looking for advice...you all could sure scare a guy. I'm looking for a nice "bass" that could help and up and coming younger "bass" get his fins wet, in the midst of all the sharks out there. If you know someone is a shark, lock him out of the forums, so that younger "bass" don't get chewed up and spit out. Being confused on something like oil, that could potentially ruin my bike if I'm not careful, tends to piss me off. When I've already invested a good bit of money into it, I'd like to keep my bike intact.

Y'all have fun arguing. I'm out of this particular topic. Peace.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 15:45:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil changing question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.