Oil changing question (Read 979 times)
John C
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Covington,TN (near Memphis)
Oil changing question
09/06/12 at 09:03:35

I've seen various topics and must admit to being a bit overwhelmed. Here's the basic question. I've got oil filters and am due for a change in about two weeks. I have a wally work, o'reilly's and auto-zone near me. I have an 07 thumper (I call her suzie q) with 10,750 miles on it. I honestly don't remember what I bought last time in the way of oil, so here's my question. I've seen "ZDDP" tossed out a bunch and want to know simply this: When I go to change my oil next, do I buy just oil (and if so,does where I live make a difference), or do I buy stuff with ZDDP in it or needing to be added to it.

Obviously, I'm a straight up noob. No problems in admitting it. Just wanting to learn and tinker on the weekends with a great bike.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Oil changing question
Reply #1 - 09/06/12 at 09:10:18

Not meaning to start an oil war, but... the simple, no worry answer is, get a gallon of Shell Rotella T... from Wallyworld..
It may or may not be the greatest oil ever, but has ZDDP and is used by many bikers, and is reasonably priced...
15w-40... is good... not 10w-30...(somebody said 10w-30 isn't motorcycle rated)...
Huh...

.. or get T6 if you want synth...

« Last Edit: 09/06/12 at 10:34:55 by Serowbot »  

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
John C
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/06/12 at 09:13:00

Yeah, definitely not trying to start anything, but just looking for generic information on a) if there's oil that contain the zddp stuff or b) if not, what two things to use together,and in what ratio (1 quart to one 1 cup or what). Thanks to all.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 09/06/12 at 09:19:36

There are ZDDP additives,... but if you use an oil that doesn't have ZDDP in it,.. you have to wonder what they are using in it's place, and will this ingredient cause any problems...
I don't know...

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 09/06/12 at 09:19:36

IP Logged
John C
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 09/06/12 at 09:36:33

Paraquat, are you saying that in the Shell Oil that Serow is recommending, I need to do what's in the post?  I may as well be looking at the human brain. Help?!

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #6 - 09/06/12 at 09:44:38

Just buy you a synthetic motorcycle oil and your worries are over,No additives needed,Motorcycle oils are made my oil engineers, not back yard wannabe oil guys.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 09/06/12 at 09:48:53

The Shell Rotella T 15W-40 already has adequate ZDDP for your bike.  You will not have to add anything.  I was a hold out for a long time and resisted accepting that this was the "best" oil for my bike....but I eventually became convinced that currently it is the only conveniently avaiable oil that is good.  Most Auto stores and Big Box stores no longer carry oils with adequate ZDDP....and you have to seek out specialty stores and buy obscure oils like Brad Penn, Amsoil, etc. (Or as Bill has suggested......you can mail order $ 14.00 a quart Klotz).

For the recommended oils thread on this site.....go here:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1344471565

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 09/06/12 at 09:55:32

OldFeller should tell Suzuki about his oil,My Suzuki dealer for over 40 years never heard about putting diesel oil in a motorcycle.And when he was young he raced motorcycles for 20 years

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 09/06/12 at 10:07:11

bill67 wrote on 09/06/12 at 09:55:32:
OldFeller should tell Suzuki about his oil,My Suzuki dealer for over 40 years never heard about putting diesel oil in a motorcycle.And when he was young he raced motorcycles for 20 years

Did he say that when you were picking up your case of Klotz?

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #10 - 09/06/12 at 10:29:09

Wink        

hee hee   .....  purty clear who really starts all the oil wars here on the list, casting that klotz top bait and then dragging it slowly across the lilly pads.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 09/06/12 at 10:36:38

See?... wasn't that simple?... Huh...

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #12 - 09/06/12 at 10:38:01

Here is a good resource for where you are right now -- it is the VERY TOP item on the Rubber Side Down page for a reason.   Try reading it all then asking your questions according to your new knowledge.

There is a lot of stuff on this list, some pretty advanced, some very basic.   Our problem is we will talk "advanced stuff" to people who are asking simple stuff.

Speaking of Basic Stuff -- don't pay a lot of attention to what Bill says.   He says a lot of things for effect, trying to provoke people.   He is not supposed to be talking to new people any more since he got sentenced for telling newbies complete nonsense on purpose, but that is another story you will hear about later on, I suspect.

Good luck with your first oil change.

Screenshot_from_2012-09-06_133035.jpeg

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #13 - 09/06/12 at 12:31:13

You can go with a cheap oil thats wasn't made for a motorcycle,But I found out in my life time that going cheap cost more in the long run.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 09/06/12 at 13:56:16

BIg difference between "going cheap" & purchasing a well researched item with a proven track record that isnt "cheap" it just doesnt cost a ridiculous amount of money for a lousy quart of it.
My Motorcycles have Rotella T 15/40 in them. The backhoe, the lawnmower & pickup..
Ive bveen running Rotella for at least 15 of the 20, 000 miles on the bike,, no munched bearings,, clutch works great.
Bill happily ignores the facts about Rotella & says its just a Diesel oil,,

Well,, what engines are more hostile inside? Gas or diesel? Diesels LOAD the heck out of the bearings, as they crush the air in the cylinder to the point the diesel ignites,,think about it,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 14:38:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil changing question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.