Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
now what? (Read 164 times)
Mr.Orange
Ex Member

now what?
09/05/12 at 20:48:32

any suggestions for a work around or bypass for the starter button? mine seems to have crapped out. daily rider so need quick fix, well, quickly.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: now what?
Reply #1 - 09/05/12 at 21:57:57

Easiest thing is take it apart and clean/ rebuild it... anything else will be more involved and complicated...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Mr.Orange
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 09/05/12 at 22:00:12

it picks when it wants to work. so it could be something as easy as dirt or a wire loose? if i were only that lucky.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 09/05/12 at 22:01:01

Put 12 volts from the single & always hot red wire under the seat to the decomp controller. The tiniest switch you can find will handle the current. Cant remember which wire, wanna say it has yellow on it,
IF yoiu do that & leave it in gear & touch the switch, its gonna roll off the s=tand, even if yoiu have the key in your pocket,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 09/05/12 at 22:03:13

There's a connector of the right side under the tank.
but you may be able to reach it.
pop it off and reconnect it.

next check your safeties, clutch kickstand neutral.
clutch and kickstand can be easily bypassed, and many times they are the source of the trouble.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 09/06/12 at 14:27:38

verslagen1 wrote on 09/05/12 at 22:03:13:
There's a connector of the right side under the tank.
but you may be able to reach it.
pop it off and reconnect it.

next check your safeties, clutch kickstand neutral.
clutch and kickstand can be easily bypassed, and many times they are the source of the trouble.

+1

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
SaVaGeEaRL

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Georgetown, KY
Reply #6 - 09/06/12 at 17:10:34

Same symptoms I have with my bad decompression solenoid controller. Next time it won't start, put it in a high gear and roll it forward a bit, if it was on the compression stroke and you've rolled it forward, it's now not on the compression stroke. See if it starts. If so, you have a bad controller as I do. I will replace mine one of these days (its 70 freakin bucks). For now I have a wire running from the positive battery terminal, to a starter button then to the starter. If I need to use it it's there.

IP Logged
Spamy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 09/06/12 at 18:04:33

I agree with Serowbot, take apart the controls and clean the contact.  They are copper and even though they are coated with dielectric grease from the factory they tend to corrode pretty easy.

My bike has been in mild climate its whole life and still they were corroded to where the bike didnt always want to start when the button was pushed.

The horn displayed similar problems as well from time to time.

IP Logged
heroicseven

oops, I broke it.

San Diego
Reply #8 - 09/06/12 at 18:23:16

I had a starter button issue, where everything was on and ready to go, buy when I pulled the clutch in all the way it wouldnt start.
Learnt by accident that if i just let the clutch out a wee bit it would fire eight up. Hope this helps!

00' raptor - supertrapp - 52.5 - 155 - half spacer - versaved
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #9 - 09/06/12 at 18:40:04

The one sure fire way to figure out if it's the decomp controller is to bypass that for a temp solution.  Unplug it and then put a jumper between the yellow/green wire and the yellow/black wire.  This will allow you to do the start circuit without the decomp solenoid and connects the start button direct to the starter relay.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Mr.Orange
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 09/07/12 at 15:30:10

took it all apart and cleaned everything. even stretched the spring a little for good measure. put it back together and she fired up several times no problem. this morning same thing, started right up. get off work today and  she's back to misbehaving. a few minutes later finally got it going. so now what?

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #11 - 09/07/12 at 16:00:56

Mr.Orange wrote on 09/07/12 at 15:30:10:
took it all apart and cleaned everything. even stretched the spring a little for good measure. put it back together and she fired up several times no problem. this morning same thing, started right up. get off work today and  she's back to misbehaving. a few minutes later finally got it going. so now what?

Did you bypass the decomp controller like I suggested to verify it's not that causing your issue?

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 01:49:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › now what?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.