Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Starting to turn my '97 into a bobber (Read 387 times)
Zeke342

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Starting to turn my '97 into a bobber
09/04/12 at 16:36:20

So in the next week to two weeks I'm going to begin ordering the parts to change my stock '97 savage and was looking to get some input/constructive criticism/advice!  I'm NOT asking anyone to respond to ALL of these sections, that's a bit above and beyond of a request lol.. but input wherever is appreciated!

Pretty much the only guidelinse for this build is that it needs to stay below $650.00 and be street legal (at least from a distance) Smiley

Also, I'd like to avoid BCB.  I like their kit and it looks great.. but out of my price range for sure.

Handlebars:
http://www.biltwellinc.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=57

I REALLY like the way these look on the Savage, and appear to not need any risers (http://bluecollarbobbers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=144)
Would I need dimpled or not dimpled (idk what dimpled means).
Longer cables?  Drilling the handlebars at all?  Issues hitting the tank?

Seat:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Black-Solo-Seat-Kit-for-Harley-Custom-Bobber-/...

Anything similar to this kit is fine by me.. This is the biggest worry for me because I have no idea what kit will actually FIT on the Savage.

Is cutting the rear seat supports necessary or is it mostly done because it looks better with them kit?

Rear fender:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-XS-XS650-Special-II-Used-Original-Rear-Fender-...

I'm not sure who to give credit to but I rear somewhere that someone used the rear fender from an XS650 for their savage bobber.
Can I bolt it on where the stock fender is?
(I dont PLAN to mount any lights to this fender, plan on sticking those elsewhere).

Also, this appears to be chrome or a chrome-like paint.. Would it be difficult to paint this?

I plan on using the rattle can thread on this forum to repaint my entire bike and I'd to run into issues attempting to paint this fender.

I do NOT want to cut the stock fender, even if it cost saving lol.

Turn Signals:
http://www.chromeglow.com/catalog.asp?prodid=720076&showprevnext=1

http://gokartsusa.com/heist-bobber-sticker-pack-6.aspx

The first kit is okay, but I'm not sure how I would mount them.

I like the second set.. and the have the threads already.
What I'd like to do is mount these to the rear swing arm just by drilling a hole through and running the wires through the swing arm.

I can see this being more problematic than the entire seat process.
I know they are LED and can cause "hyper flashing" which I've never seen before.. but as long as left blinks left and right blinks right I don't really mind how fast they blink.
Any issues draining the battery?
Anything I'm unaware of inside the swing arm I could damage?

If so, I had no luck finding a mounting kit to put the signals back and under the bobber seat like I've seen in several other bobbers Sad

License plate kit:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Model-A-Side-Mount-License-Plate-Bracket-Chopper-Bobb...

This seems pretty straightforward.. mostly open to anyone who has a better suggestions.. I don't plan on mounting it to the axle like it's intended.. I've been debating using it as a spacer for the rear shocks or just drilling new holes all together somewhere to mount it.

Heres my pricing so far..

Biltwell bars -79.99
New grips- 50.00
Turn signalls- ~40.00
Seat kit- ~150.00
XS650 rear fender- 50.00-80.00
License plate- 70.00

Total
Around 470.00
Not including paint (hopefully that wont be much).

Possibly including the mirrors from BCB- 70.00 still debating if I like them.

In the future I'm going to get a Dyna exhaust and a different intake instead of the stock airbox.. if theres enough left over after this build I'll just get them also Smiley

Hopefully I can get this project started and finished in the next month or so Cheesy

IP Logged
ohio thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Starting to turn my '97 into a bobber
Reply #1 - 09/04/12 at 17:11:31

go to motorcycle swap meets if they are around in your area when you can. i did my project for a little over 600 bucks and that included new tires. i had lots of donor parts from buddies that also helped keep things under budget. no need to buy everything new to look good. be creative and make some of your parts if you can. good luck and post pics of your bike

IP Logged
Kyle
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

St. Charles, IL
Reply #2 - 09/04/12 at 19:04:26

@Zeke - I've wanted to put similar bars on my bike since I got it earlier this year. They look great on that BCB. I can't wait to see what your bike looks like! I'll be following this thread and might be stealing some ideas.

IP Logged
Johnny57

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Minneapolis
Reply #3 - 09/04/12 at 19:25:32

Bars will be REAL close......I recommend cutting the seat supports-if not "lines of bike look like crap.  Cutting supports basically gives you "forward controls" for free.  You are going to run into trouble wiring LED turn signals without the additional resistors.....and I would make sure that there was a dual filament bulb for your tailight/brakelight license plate holder.  Then you can wire that to do all three functions using the shock bolt to hold plate assembly.

BCB mirrors are "sweet" and inexpensive.

IP Logged
Zeke342

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 09/04/12 at 20:19:28

Johnny57 wrote on 09/04/12 at 19:25:32:
Bars will be REAL close......I recommend cutting the seat supports-if not "lines of bike look like crap.  Cutting supports basically gives you "forward controls" for free.  You are going to run into trouble wiring LED turn signals without the additional resistors.....and I would make sure that there was a dual filament bulb for your tailight/brakelight license plate holder.  Then you can wire that to do all three functions using the shock bolt to hold plate assembly.

Yeah.. I've decided against LED lights all together after doing a bit of searching.
This site has several to choose from that aren't LED and are a bit cheaper Smiley
http://www.motosport.com/motorcycle/turn-signals

How does cutting the supports give me forward controls??  I now feel terribly confused about what forward controls are lol

And you lost me at all 3 functions.. tail light & Brake light but what other function would the license plate holder have??
I'm not sure if that one does but other listings for identical mounts says it does tail light and brake light.

IP Logged
Johnny57

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Minneapolis
Reply #5 - 09/04/12 at 21:17:55

Those seat supports force you to sit up and forward towards the tank.  When you remove them you are actually sitting a little lower and can now slide back a few inches when positioning the seat not to mention you can sit near the back of a "bobber" seat.  It extends the reach to the controls quite a bit actually.  By three functions I am referring to tailight (one bulb filament which is always on) brakelight which is on when front or back brake switch is activated (the other bulb filament) and lighting up of your license plate (which is done because your taillight lense has a clear portion on the bottom.  You are now legal in all states I believe.  You will find when you take the bike apart that the stock bike wires the tailight/brakelight separately from the license plate light. Two different sets of wires.  If your license plate bracket holder has two wires (then you add the ground wire) and 2 filaments you are able to wire it and take care of everything you need.  You can just ignore the wires for the stock license plate bracket and light.  That is what I meant.  Did not mean to confuse you.  Your set up on your handlebars is going to put your bars alot further away from you than the stock ones are now.  If you use stock risers and have to rotate your bars (and they will be close) to prevent controls from hitting tank your reach to the bars will be further yet.  Depending on your height (and I do not know it) you have to arrive at some riding position that is reasonably comfortable which is a function of your seat position, reach to your bars and placement of the foot controls.  You have some control over the seat placement and the reach to the bars.  Your bars will be closer to you and you will probably not have to rotate them for clearance with higher risers.  Just some things to think about.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #6 - 09/05/12 at 04:43:36

Johnny57 wrote on 09/04/12 at 19:25:32:

you don't have to use load resistors at all,  just change your flasher to an electronic one, then all is well.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Zeke342

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 09/05/12 at 05:42:38

Johnny57 wrote on 09/04/12 at 21:17:55:
Those seat supports force you to sit up and forward towards the tank.  When you remove them you are actually sitting a little lower and can now slide back a few inches when positioning the seat not to mention you can sit near the back of a "bobber" seat.  It extends the reach to the controls quite a bit actually.  By three functions I am referring to tailight (one bulb filament which is always on) brakelight which is on when front or back brake switch is activated (the other bulb filament) and lighting up of your license plate (which is done because your taillight lense has a clear portion on the bottom.  You are now legal in all states I believe.  You will find when you take the bike apart that the stock bike wires the tailight/brakelight separately from the license plate light. Two different sets of wires.  If your license plate bracket holder has two wires (then you add the ground wire) and 2 filaments you are able to wire it and take care of everything you need.  You can just ignore the wires for the stock license plate bracket and light.  That is what I meant.  Did not mean to confuse you.  Your set up on your handlebars is going to put your bars alot further away from you than the stock ones are now.  If you use stock risers and have to rotate your bars (and they will be close) to prevent controls from hitting tank your reach to the bars will be further yet.  Depending on your height (and I do not know it) you have to arrive at some riding position that is reasonably comfortable which is a function of your seat position, reach to your bars and placement of the foot controls.  You have some control over the seat placement and the reach to the bars.  Your bars will be closer to you and you will probably not have to rotate them for clearance with higher risers.  Just some things to think about.

Awesome!  Thanks for the advice.
I'm used to riding uncomfortable hunched over sport bikes so I'm not too concerned with comfort.. plus I don't plan on using the bobber for LONG distance rides.. just out and about town to show it off lol.

I may just do the $15 risers just to make sure that if I do have to make a tight turn around that my hands/bars aren't smacking my gas tank or anything.

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #8 - 09/05/12 at 07:30:19

Zeke342 wrote on 09/05/12 at 05:42:38:
I may just do the $15 risers just to make sure that if I do have to make a tight turn around that my hands/bars aren't smacking my gas tank or anything.

Not only for tight turns, but when you park it you don't want the bars slapping the tank when you put it on the kickstand...  Undecided

A couple more comments...
Handlebars - with the proposed bars you should not need any longer cables, brake lines or wiring. Most 1" bars should fit, and you will not need dimpled bars (for HD controls) - with non-dimpled bars I filed off the mounting tab from my stock controls and they work great.

rear fender - I doubt you will want the one posted for your purposes because it is chrome and will be difficult to paint if that is your goal. For many bobbers, it actually works better to find a new, off the shelf, trailer fender for about $20-30 and cut/grind/weld as necessary to get it to fit how you would like.

turn signals - LED signals will work fine if you replace the flasher module with an electronic one as previously suggested, but either type works just as well, find one that you like and go for it.

side mount license plate - I think they look great on a bobber style bike, I would make sure that it works as a running light, brake light, and license plate light as mentioned already too. One additional thing you should check is your local laws. Some states require they sit horizontal rather than vertical  Angry

Hope that helps you out, and post pics of before, during & after the transformation so we can all see the progress. We love pics  Cheesy

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 09/05/12 at 18:40:42

I got a nearly new take-off handlebar almost exactly lke that, but chrome from one of the new Triumph Bonneville's for about $30 or so on Ebay. Search for Bonneville handlebars, or "Norman Hyde" bars...

A lot of those other new parts could be had cheaper too I think, if you are patient and persistent on Ebay....

IP Logged
Zeke342

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 09/05/12 at 21:09:39

teabowl13 wrote on 09/05/12 at 18:40:42:
I got a nearly new take-off handlebar almost exactly lke that, but chrome from one of the new Triumph Bonneville's for about $30 or so on Ebay. Search for Bonneville handlebars, or "Norman Hyde" bars...

A lot of those other new parts could be had cheaper too I think, if you are patient and persistent on Ebay....

I know I could find those bars cheaper for sure.. or atleast VERY similar ones lol
They're just the exact shape I want.. if anything they could be a little less wide but if that were the case then I would DEFINITELY need risers lol.
I'm still a week or two away from ordering parts so most of what I find on eBay right now will be gone or relisted so if I save links i'll just have to refind them.. so I haven't gone about searching for handlebars and other parts on eBay just yet.. but from what I've seen.. I can definitely get a cheaper fender that will be easier to paint and cheaper bars.

IP Logged
bmwpowere36m3
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 09/06/12 at 12:42:56

Good looking build.  I really like that license plate/taillight setup... I want to do the same on my kawi bobber.

IP Logged
Zeke342

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 09/14/12 at 17:33:03

Gonna start ordering parts hopefully by Monday!

Not going to ordering anything just yet.. I've been running oil without ZDDP for probably 600 miles (I wasn't aware of the ZDDP issue with savage oils).

I bough a gallon of Rotella Triple Protection.. does this oil have ZDDP or do I still need to add some to it??

I will start ordering parts just as soon as I've done my FIRST (wish me luck lol) valve adjustment >.<, get the ZDDP thing sorted, and get a new oil filter!

IP Logged
clearush

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deer Park,TX
Reply #13 - 09/14/12 at 21:20:26

http://www.bellacorse.com/bcc002-6.htm

handle bars for $40 cheaper but they are chrome and not blacked out

My buddy gave me his bonneville stock bars and they work great  Grin

hope this helps

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #14 - 09/15/12 at 12:51:58

Best fitting solo seat is for HD K models. The springs are the right spacing and the seat is big enough to be functional without looking dorky.

Non-dimpled bars, do NOT drill them for your switch box pins, grind the pins off. You want the box/levers to turn if the bike goes over. If you plan to drill them to run internal wiring get some decent bits and a good rotary tool, you'll want slots instead of holes.

I've got an XS650 fender in the shed you can pick up for the same price INCLUDING shipping as the e-bay ad. Looks more like stainless steel than chrome. It still has the tail light housing and plate bracket on it.

Unless you need a ton of new parts you should be able to build a decent bobber for a couple bills. And if you are going to paint it with rattle cans, buy engine paints for primer color and clear. Regular "foo foo" can paint isn't fuel safe.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 21:22:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Starting to turn my '97 into a bobber

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.