Changing the rear tire (Read 499 times)
John C
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Covington,TN (near Memphis)
Changing the rear tire
09/04/12 at 14:52:38

I've seen an instance or two where the clymer's manual has been off, according to folks. I don't have an air ratchet, or anyway of setting my amount of torque (I have basic tools). A friend of mine has most everything to fix a bike and has said that I can use his shop anytime I want. So, here's the question: for a noob....is it possible to change out your own tire....or is it better to have a pro do it?  I can change my oil, swap out front brake pads, did the seat mod and changed handlebars. I'm thinking I can do it, but messing with tires makes me nervous. Any one got a solid understanding of how to do it and give me advice? '07 model.

Thank you in advance.

IP Logged
Nutters
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ft. Worth, TX
Re: Changing the rear tire
Reply #1 - 09/04/12 at 15:22:08

There are some great tire change resources on the web, most on you tube. Do you have the owners manual for the bike? It shows just how easy it is to remove the wheel from the bike and reinstall. As for the actual tire changing, I haven't done that yet. I will be ordering the new tires, tubes, etc in about a week. Definitely take up the friends offer on the place to work and tools to borrow. I googled "changing a motorcycle tire" and found enough info in video form to make me confident enough to try. Best of luck, and ride happily.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 09/04/12 at 15:57:25

noob, 1st time, someone else's shop... receipy for a weekend w/o the bike.

You can take tire off... with some effort uncoached, but changing a tire, no way.

Take it off, if your friend will change for a beer, cheers.   Smiley
otherwise run it down to a shop that'll change it for you.

If you really want to do it, get a coach, a couple extra tubes and have fun.   Undecided

« Last Edit: 09/04/12 at 17:22:48 by verslagen1 »  
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 09/04/12 at 16:19:21

The rear tire is s booger. Front one, not so bad, but Ill never try that rear one again,,I did it, but its just not worth it,
Pull the wheel, haul it to someone who has the equipment & pay them.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #4 - 09/04/12 at 18:45:33

First time, I managed to do it with great difficulty, using the OEM IRC tire. Second time, I got the IRC tire off, but was unable to get the Metzler tire on. Took it to a dealership, and it was well worth the money to have them do the job. Besides that, getting the wheel off and back on is no picnic. Believe me, it isn't something you are going to do beside the road. If you do it successfully by the roadside, and let me watch, I'll buy the pitcher of beer.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
MiCTLaN

O_o

Winter Haven, FL
Reply #5 - 09/04/12 at 19:10:31

I recently attempted to do the rear myself and decided to give up when the sweat was running in a steady stream off of the end of my nose... getting the wheel off the bike was easy, and I managed to break the bead on both sides, but there was no way in hell I was going to get the tire off of the rim.  It was worth the $35 at the dealership.

I had a hell of a time getting the wheel back on the bike though, I had a lot of trouble juggling all seven pieces that have to go together.  After getting it all the way together for the third time (missed the slot for the rear bake the first two times), I discovered that I had one of the adjusters on backwards.  I left it that way, since I'm not using the marks anyway.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #6 - 09/04/12 at 19:23:33

I must say, changing tires on motorcycles makes me long for the days of my old Vespa. Four lug nuts, just like a car. Then six bolts to split the rim, and no problem prying beads over rims. And the needed tools were in the supplied tool kit.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #7 - 09/04/12 at 20:14:37

quote:
I've seen an instance or two where the clymer's manual has been off, according to folks. I don't have an air ratchet, or anyway of setting my amount of torque (I have basic tools). A friend of mine has most everything to fix a bike and has said that I can use his shop anytime I want. So, here's the question: for a noob....is it possible to change out your own tire....or is it better to have a pro do it?  I can change my oil, swap out front brake pads, did the seat mod and changed handlebars. I'm thinking I can do it, but messing with tires makes me nervous. Any one got a solid understanding of how to do it and give me advice? '07 model.

I say you can do it yourself.  

I just like to try to do things myself.  You have to decide whether you want to or not.  It's not expensive enough to get it done that you NEED to do it yourself especially since the first try will take all afternoon.  (I think i've done 2 fronts and 3 rears and i still would need a couple hours set aside to do the job.)   The best thing about it is that you can DIY it  at 9:30 PM or whenever you need to when the tire shop is closed.  

Changing the tire is not that  bad - the first time is pretty rough but you can definitely do it.  (I'm no mechanic and I can do it)
Get some rounded "tire spoons", though.  Screwdrivers will not work to pry the tire!  A spare tube might be good for your first time,( it's a little hard to learn not to pinch the tube)

find instructions online, youtube or something.  if you want i can try to figure out what i do more or less step by step

(breaking bead: i use a bumper jack between car and top of the tire, press it right next to rim until it breaks off)

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 09/04/12 at 21:23:02

2 each 8' long 2X4's, a short piece of 4X4 & a rope to tie the 2X4's together. Bead breaker. Stand the 2X4's on edge.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #9 - 09/05/12 at 09:01:53

Do you guys balance your tires?  I usually have the shop change the tire for the simple reason that I'm taking it there anyway to be balanced.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 09/05/12 at 09:29:01

John C.

Changing a rear tire is no big deal......if you have someone show you the first time....and have the right tools.  You need to have the proper wrenches to get the rear wheel off.  And if you care about the rim, you need nylon rim protectors and proper tire spoons.  It is also important that you know how to put the new tire on, how to get the tube in straight, how to get the beads seated properly.

If you are only doing this on occasion - take the rear wheel off and haul it to the dealer and let them change it.  If you are going to own bikes and work on them.....it is time to learn.  You need to find someone to help you change the first one.

Post where you live in your CP......maybe a local rider/mechanic from this site will come over and help you.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #11 - 09/05/12 at 10:51:11

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/04/12 at 21:23:02:
2 each 8' long 2X4's, a short piece of 4X4 & a rope to tie the 2X4's together. Bead breaker. Stand the 2X4's on edge.

yeah, thats a better idea!

as far as balancing ... i align the valve stem with the painted dot - seems to work (i.e. no excessive vibration or other issues)

i think oldfeller had a picture of a homemade balancer he used - maybe on the old "oversize tire" thread (?) in technical documents

I just remembered there was a questionn about setting torque.  You can get a 1/2" drive torque wrench for not too much $$ - be worth adding to the toolbox

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #12 - 09/05/12 at 10:55:08

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/04/12 at 21:23:02:

Dang, JOG, I just use a C-clamp, your way sounds like much more  fun! Shocked Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #13 - 09/05/12 at 15:47:20

I had a flat rear last weekend with a population rivet stuck in it I caught on the way home from work. Took it to the local bike shop. 82 bucks for the new tube and labor.

IP Logged
markbacon
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

New Zealand
Reply #14 - 09/05/12 at 16:13:28

The small diameter of the rear means the bead has to stretch more, proportionately, to get over the rim (rim height is bigger in proportion to circumference). You can do it yourself, but get rim protectors and long tyre levers. I managed it with some old 9" ones, but it was at least a week before my hands recovered. Once the bead's sort of half over, lay the wheel down on some 2x4s and stand on the tyre to help the tyre levers. The last bit will be too tight to get any levers in - you'll have to do that entirely by standing on it. Use lots of very soapy water to lubricate.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 12:27:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Changing the rear tire

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.