Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
acceleration  craps out around 73ish (Read 105 times)
clearush

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deer Park,TX
acceleration  craps out around 73ish
09/04/12 at 14:42:09

I can push up towards 80 but only on a downhil grade.

Running a cone filter, HD exhaust
adjustable slide needle, from the dyna kit c-clip moved down 1 space from standard
same effect with a standard 150 and 152.5 main jets
Have a 55 idle jet installed also.
1-1/2 turns on the idle adjustment

any ideals?? It seemed I had better top speed running a lean mix and before I "adjusted" the slide needle but my middle acceleration sucked.

Could it be a valve adjustment issue?? Over jetted?? Stupid hot weather??

Thanks

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: acceleration  craps out around 73ish
Reply #1 - 09/04/12 at 15:52:41

you should run thru the tuning procedure step by step.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 09/04/12 at 16:16:55

YOuve opened Pandora's Box. By suddenly making a lot of changes w/o evaluating each one, theres no way to know which change did what. Thats okay.,no biggeee, just dont get frustrated, take your time. Write down what youve done so far & note how it is.
Study tuning procedures, keep a log of what ya do & how it responds & work thru it scientifically. At least its serviceable. Have ya checked the MPG? Easy enough to do, fill up, run it 50 miles & go back & fill up again. I like to use the same pump, so its sitting the same, & fill to the same spot.

Just have fun with it,man,, youll learn a lot.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
clearush

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deer Park,TX
Reply #3 - 09/04/12 at 18:51:45

still getting in the 40-43 mpg range depending on how I accelerate from stops.

with the cone filter and hd exhaust and a Dyna kit installed I could peak out around 85ish but that was running lean and hot and turning the pipes purple.

idle was not so good with the 52.5, idle is much better with the 55 @ 1-1/2 turns

at the same time I bumped from a 145 to 150 main jet without changing the needle setting and it seemed to be doing much better but was lacking in the midrange accel. (did not try topping it out during this time)

so I bumped the needle up using the c-clip instead of the spacer mod, this improved midrange throttle response and did well all the way up till the 70ish range where it seems to bog down on the last 1/4" to WOT

there is a spot just before WOT that actually acells better and hold speed better than WOT so I'm not sure what was going on.

Bumped up to 152.5 earlier today and tried the highway and same reponse at WOT just kind've meh.....

Bumped down to 147.5 main and will try again on the 20 mile ride to and from work.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #4 - 09/04/12 at 18:52:32

In any sort of scientific work, you make one change at a time and record the results. When you change several things at once, all you do is confuse yourself. Put it back to stock, if you can. Record what happens. Then make ONE change and see what happens. You are quite likely to find it runs better, stock, than after your modifications. Sorry 'bout that.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #5 - 09/04/12 at 18:56:43

Shift into fifth gear.  Cheesy

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 09/04/12 at 21:26:56

there is a spot just before WOT that actually acells better and hold speed better than WOT so I'm not sure what was going on

I think there are guys here who can use that..I wish I could say it is a tool I can use.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 09/04/12 at 21:56:40

clearush wrote on 09/04/12 at 18:51:45:
idle was not so good with the 52.5, idle is much better with the 55 @ 1-1/2 turns
pilot's good.

Quote:
at the same time I bumped from a 145 to 150 main jet without changing the needle setting and it seemed to be doing much better but was lacking in the midrange accel. (did not try topping it out during this time)

so I bumped the needle up using the c-clip instead of the spacer mod, this improved midrange throttle response and did well all the way up till the 70ish range where it seems to bog down on the last 1/4" to WOT

1st mistake, don't adjust the needle till the main jet is right.  return it to the original position.

Quote:
there is a spot just before WOT that actually acels better and hold speed better than WOT so I'm not sure what was going on.

this is a clear indication you need a bigger main.
Quote:
Bumped up to 152.5 earlier today and tried the highway and same response at WOT just kind've meh...

return the needle to the original position and try WOT again.  back off a smidge if it gets better than you need a bigger main.  (thanks JOG for pointing that out)

set the main 1st then the needle.

what you're doing is pulling the needle completely out of the jet causing it to flood.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 09/04/12 at 22:11:47

I remembered that meant something,, Im just not that good at carb tuning. Odd how memory works,,I know where dang near everything is around here, but, I just cant remember these details.. dangitt..

IP Logged
clearush

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deer Park,TX
Reply #9 - 09/05/12 at 03:28:56

Thanks guys, I was thinking it was something along that line.

I will get the needle reset and then tune the main jet. Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 01:54:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › acceleration  craps out around 73ish

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.