Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Starter Circuit Electrical Readings (Read 69 times)
John in Kalifornia

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Starter Circuit Electrical Readings
09/03/12 at 19:18:11

I got a bug up my %&*$ today and decided to get some real world electrical readings. There has been some discussion of the decompression control and how it works. I took some measurements today with the following results.

Bike is a 1997 Savage, stock engine as far as I can tell. 29k miles. The cables were good. Only about two tenths of a volt between the battery positive post and the starter terminal while cranking.

When 12 volts is applied from the starter circuit (green/yellow wire):

A.      12 volts is sent out the red/black wire to the decompression relay to open the exhaust valve. This signal lasts for approximately one second.

B.      12 volts is sent out the yellow/black wire to the starter relay after approximately a half second delay. The delay ensures that the starter won’t have to fight the engine on the compression stroke.

C.      After one second, the voltage is still applied to the starter motor but the decompression solenoid is deactivated.

I used a Simpson 260 analog meter and watched the needle move to obtain these results. For dynamic actions, you can’t rely on a cheap digital meter to respond quickly enough. One could always hook up an oscilloscope but that is really overkill in this case.

Current readings were also taken with a clamp on ammeter.

The decompression solenoid draws 15 amps.

The starter draws 40 amps approximately while spinning the motor over with no spark plug in.  This is with the decompression relay not activated. Since there was a big hole in the combustion chamber where the plug was supposed to be, it spun up smoothly as there was no effective compression built up. I would think a bare starter motor would draw maybe 35 amps by its ownself.

While cranking the motor over with the plug in and the decompression solenoid deactivated, the current varies from 50 to 80 amps as the motor spins the engine through the intake, compression, power and exhaust cycles. I didn’t measure the starter current draw with the solenoid activated, that would yield no useful information and put too much of a strain on the starter gears and battery.  

Obviously, when the starter is first activated there is quite a large inrush current drain.  I think I saw a flash reading of maybe 170 amps. I didn’t try to start the bike with the decompression solenoid disconnected and the spark plug in, as I didn’t want to kill the battery.

Next post: battery voltage readings with three different batteries.

John in Kalifornia

IP Logged
John in Kalifornia

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Starter Circuit Electrical Readings
Reply #1 - 09/04/12 at 14:07:30

Now for some battery readings.

The stock Yuasa YB14L-A2 came with the bike. It had been sitting for a few months but I was able to resurrect it. There is just a bit of white deposits on the bottom.

I intend to replace it with a Motocross YTZ7S AGM battery. This is a stock battery for the Honda 450 motocross bike with electric start. I figure the Savage with its lower compression would be the same or less effort to turn over. This will fit under the bike on the shelf in place of the charcoal canister. There is a thread here in the technical section about this modification. The Motocross brand is actually made in Japan by Yuasa. You can get cheaper batteries made in China of the same type, but why take a chance?

Also, you can use a Lithium battery that is even smaller; see “From Lien to Bobber to Cafe: RYCA Build.” I didn’t like the small reserve capacity of that battery. It’s less that 3-amp hour. Since the AGM battery hides away under the bike anyway, the smaller battery would not be an advantage, plus it’s more expensive.

Both the lead acid YB14L-a2 and the AGM YTZ7S batteries had approximately 11.1 to 11.2 volts under load while cranking the motor over. This is plenty of voltage to run the ignition system and fire the plug. I ran the smaller battery for about 15 seconds and it didn’t seem to slow down much at all. The starter got hot, however.

As mentioned in the previous post, the current draw was between 50 and 80 amps during cranking.

John in Kalifornia

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #2 - 09/04/12 at 14:41:04

Thanks for the readings,  This will help me in spec'ing out the transistors I need for building a solid state decomp controller.  I couldn't find my amp meter so I couldn't take a reading of the decomp solenoid.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
LouSiana

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hannover, Germany
Reply #3 - 09/04/12 at 15:23:32

Thanks for your report, John!

I can confirm nearly all what you've posted. I measured a peak current of more than 200 A on inrush time. I also measured an average current of 55 A while cranking with the plug inserted but not contacted.

On my tests I used a 12V 17Ah lead acid AGM battery on my engine test stand which held up 11,6 Volts on cranking. That battery is able to get rid of the decomp solenoid. You only make a very short tap on the starter knob and the engine is running.
Same with the LiFePo battery with four cells and 8 Ah capacity I use on one of my Savage's. It can stand an average current of 20C, means 160 A and a peak current of 40C meaning 320 A from the spec sheet. Slightly overdimensioned but funny!

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #4 - 09/04/12 at 15:53:37

LouSiana wrote on 09/04/12 at 15:23:32:
Thanks for your report, John!

I can confirm nearly all what you've posted. I measured a peak current of more than 200 A on inrush time. I also measured an average current of 55 A while cranking with the plug inserted but not contacted.

On my tests I used a 12V 17Ah lead acid AGM battery on my engine test stand which held up 11,6 Volts on cranking. That battery is able to get rid of the decomp solenoid. You only make a very short tap on the starter knob and the engine is running.

Yes I know you can easily start it without the decomp,  but in doing this your adding much more wear and tear on the starter.  Mine also starts right up without it atm since it's bypassed until I make a new decomp controller.  

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 09/04/12 at 16:03:50

The starter will start it fine w/o the decomp if you rotate the engine off of the compression stroke every time.

Easy way to tell is to operate the decomp lever.
you can easily operate it when it's on the exhaust stroke.
otherwise, you can hardly operate it by hand.

Put it in a big gear and bump it forward til the lever moves.
don't go backwards unless you got a post '95 or you want a new engine.

WWW   IP Logged
John in Kalifornia

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 09/04/12 at 17:04:37

"The starter will start it fine w/o the decomp if you rotate the engine off of the compression stroke every time.

Easy way to tell is to operate the decomp lever.
you can easily operate it when it's on the exhaust stroke.
otherwise, you can hardly operate it by hand."

I was surprised at the 15 amp draw of the solenoid. Guess you need a strong pull to fight the valve spring pressure.

I'm gonna go with the manual lever that RpNSht sells. Simplify the wiring without the decomp solenoid and controller.

I was afraid that the small AGM battery would be marginal and occasions could occur requiring push starting. I might still try to adapt a handlebar compression release lever like some kick start singles have, just in case. Hard to work the clutch and compression release with the same hand if the CR lever is mounted on the head.

John in Kalifornia

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 02:17:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Starter Circuit Electrical Readings

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.