Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Fuel Grade and Type (Octane Ethanol/Non-Ethanol) (Read 591 times)
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Fuel Grade and Type (Octane Ethanol/Non-Ethanol)
09/03/12 at 10:38:03

So what are the opinions or experiences with fuel grades and ethanol versus non-ethanol?

Are there any results that indicate going higher than 87 octane provides a smoother, cleaner, more even and cooler burn or is this just an opinion or is there evidence to the contrary?

Also, is there a reason to seek out and run non-ethanol (or ethanol with an ethanol treatment) if you are burning through a tank of gas once every week or two and not letting it sit and get stale and eat up your rubber/plastic innards as ethanol seems to do?

If I change from 87 octane up to a higher grade just for giggles, should I anticipate having to adjust the air mix screw to accommodate for any differences in the performance of a different grade than what it was tuned with (87 octane)?

Thanks!

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Fuel Grade and Type (Octane Ethanol/Non-Ethano
Reply #1 - 09/03/12 at 11:54:37

87 octane works the best,wouldn't have to change carb adjustments if you went higher.100% gas better mpg and horse power,And less chance of water been in the carb.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 09/03/12 at 12:11:08

Well....this could become a very controversial subject.....almost as bad as an oil thead.

The stock engine doesn't benefit from or need any higher octane than 87.  There really won't be any power increase or loss from using higher octanes you can get at normal fuel pumps.  The higher octanes aren such a big increase that jetting or timing changes would be required - but you will not realize any performance increase by using them.  Some claim that the higher octanes can get stale at service stations that don't sell a lot of it.....and it may sit in the tanks for a while.  I imagine the higher octane tank is a bit smaller than the lower grade tank - but don't know how often it might get used and replaced.

For any vehicle that is driven regularly - there seems to be little problem from ethanol fuels.  Older motorcycles and boats with fiberglass fuel tanks are the exception as the ethanol can dissolve the resins.  I also had trouble on a 2009 Sherco trials bike and the ethanol made the nylon (plastic) fuel tank swell and become soft.

My own personal experience with ethanol suggests that equipment with carbs that sits for extended periods of down time can have problems.  Tillers, leaf blowers, snow blowers, chainsaws can all sit for long periods of time....and any fuel can go bad when left in this equipment.  Old pre-ethanol fuels would turn to varnish and gum everything up....while modern ethanol fuels dissolve rubber parts, rust steel parts and corrode aluminum when left too long.  Engines that have diaphragm carbs tend to store better than engines with float bowls and gravity systems that can keep delivering more fuel to the float bowl as the fuel evaporates and allows the float to drop.

« Last Edit: 09/03/12 at 13:18:32 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #3 - 09/03/12 at 13:02:46

Dave says: "The stock engine doesn't benefit from or need any higher octane than 87."

Exactly correct.  Any engine designed to run on 87 will run best on 87.  Put midgrade or premium in it, and it will not run any better and might even run worse.

87 has the most energy per volume of the three grades.  Midgrade and premium lose a bit of energy to make room for anti-detonation chemicals.

It is true that some higher horsepower vehicles use premium, but only because the engineers programmed the vehicle's computers to use gas with a certain propensity to detonate.  So those vehicles get more power not because they use more powerful gas (which they don't), they have more power because they are tuned to use gas that has anti-detonation additives in it, and can run a greater spark advance.

Putting premium in a Savage to get more power is as stupid as putting on a larger gas tank to get more power.  "Got me more gas, I must have more power, now, right?!"

The only time putting premium in a vehicle designed for 87 will give any improvement is when something is screwed up in the ignition systen in such a way the engine is knocking under load.  In that case, premium might reduce the knocking.  In this case it makes much more sense to find out what's wrong with the ignition system.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
RC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Quartz Hill Ca.
Reply #4 - 09/03/12 at 14:28:45

Gee folks this is a 8.5 to 1 engine it shouldn't even need 87 but here in California thats the lowest we are allowed and it works great. Buying the higher priced stuff is just a waste of your money

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #5 - 09/03/12 at 16:13:40

Manuell Service says......"Use only unleaded gasoline of at least 87 pump octane(R/2+M/2) or 91 octane or higher if rated buy the research method. Gasoline containing MTBE (Methyl Tertiary Butyl Ether), less than 10% ethanol, or less than5% methanol with appropriate co-solvents and corrosion inhibitor is permissible".

Manuell Owners says........"Your motorcycle requires regular unleaded gasoline with a minimum pump octane rating of 87 (R+M)/2 method) In some areas the only fuels that are available are oxygenated fuels.
Oxygenated fuels which meet the minimum octane requirement and the requirements described below my be used in your motorcycle without jeopardizing the New Vehicle Limited Warranty or the emission Control System Warranty.
NOTE: Oxygenated fuels are fuels which contain oxygen-carrying additives such as MTBE or alcohol.
Gasoline containing MTBE
Unleaded gasoline containing MTBE (Mettyl Tertiary Butyl Ether) may be used in your motorcycle if the MTBE content is not greater than 15%
This oxygenated fuel does not contain alcohol.
Gasoline/Ethanol Blends
Blends of unleaded gasoline and ethanol (grain alcohol), also known as "GASOHOL", may be used in your vehicle if the ethanol content is not greater than 10%.
Gasoline/Methanol Blends
Fuel containing 5% or less methanol (wood alcohol) may be suitable for use in your motorcycle if they contain co-solvents and corrosion inhibitors.DO NOT USE fuels containing more than 5% methanol under any circumstances. Fuel system damage or motorcycle performance problems resulting from the use of such fuels are not the responsibility of Suzuki and may not be covered under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty or the Emission Control System Warranty."
NOTE:
To help clean the air Suzuki recommends that you use the oxygenated fuels.

So Manuell says. Cool

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 09/04/12 at 00:14:38

A guy we dont see much of anymore who lives down around Galveston runs premium in the heat of summer.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #7 - 09/04/12 at 03:05:42

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/04/12 at 00:14:38:
A guy we dont see much of anymore who lives down around Galveston runs premium in the heat of summer.

It's sometimes interesting to hear of the rationale for this kind of behavior.

« Last Edit: 09/04/12 at 11:47:18 by Gyrobob »  

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 09/04/12 at 05:10:56

Gyrobob wrote on 09/04/12 at 03:05:42:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/04/12 at 00:14:38:

It's sometimes interesting to hear of the rationale for this kind of behavior.

Premium burns slower,thats like retarding the spark so engine runs slightly cooler with less power.Here it is I told you how it is.

« Last Edit: 09/04/12 at 14:35:16 by bill67 »  

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #9 - 09/04/12 at 06:48:57

Both the service manual and the owner's manual say "at least" or "a minimum of" 87 octane, so there is nothing wrong with running a higher octane if you want to as far as Suzuki is concerned.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #10 - 09/04/12 at 07:26:09

bill67 wrote on 09/04/12 at 05:10:56:
Premium burns slower,thats like retarding the spark so engine runs slightly cooler with less power.

No, it doesn't. Make your arguments about oil all you want but don't start spreading misinformation like that. Octane has nothing to do with how hot or fast a fuel burns.

IP Logged
tizzyfit

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 09/04/12 at 07:48:31

The last 5 fill-ups, I've used regular unleaded 87 octane in hopes the gas mileage would improve enough to off-set the 10% higher cost vs. the 87 octane/ethanol fuel.  My mileage has been virtually the same with both types of fuel.  I realize this represents approximately 500 miles and is not scientific but I'm questioning whether I should be paying more for the unleaded fuel if it's not providing a positive gas mileage improvement.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #12 - 09/04/12 at 07:52:14

arteacher wrote on 09/04/12 at 06:48:57:
Both the service manual and the owner's manual say "at least" or "a minimum of" 87 octane, so there is nothing wrong with running a higher octane if you want to as far as Suzuki is concerned.

yep

During the HEAT  of the summer, IF my engine is feeling hotter than normal then I will run the higher octane fuel.  
Any engine with a high compression piston in it should also have a higher octane fuel to help prevent detonation.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #13 - 09/04/12 at 08:48:30

Cavi Mike wrote on 09/04/12 at 07:26:09:
Premium burns slower,thats like retarding the spark so engine runs slightly cooler with less power.

No, it doesn't. Make your arguments about oil all you want but don't start spreading misinformation like that. Octane has nothing to do with how hot or fast a fuel burns.

Sorry Cave your wrong.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 09/04/12 at 09:31:04

bill67 wrote on 09/04/12 at 08:48:30:
Cavi Mike wrote on 09/04/12 at 07:26:09:

Sorry Cave your wrong.

I vote with Cave......Higher Octane fuels are more resistant to knocking (detonation) in higher compression engines.  They don't burn hotter, or slower, and there is going to be very little difference in the way 87, 89 and 92 octane pump gas runs in our Savage.  Racing fuels, leaded fuels, Avgas are all different types of fuel.....and they will react completely different than what you can buy at your local gas station.

You will not find any reliable source that documents a slower burn on 89 or 92 octane pump gas........only rumors from unreliable sources.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:32:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fuel Grade and Type (Octane Ethanol/Non-Ethanol)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.